QM 2 - Suite 9080 or 10004?

DaisyUK

I've just watched YouTube videos of both suites.   Setting aside having to sell a kidney to afford either, 9080 that you are already booked in is beautiful.   10004 is under the observation deck.  

For what it's worth, if it were me, I'd stay put.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding. I looked at the videos also and thought the same thing, but wondered whether there was anything I had missed. It's a special year for us, so we are treating ourselves - assuming, of course, that the pandemic allows us to go ahead with our travel plans.

If I could afford it, my choice would be for 10004.... The balcony overlooks the side of the ship, vs the aft deck, you also can see out the front of the ship, and you get a glass elevator that goes right to the cabin.

Aloha,

John 

• Like 2

On one of our crossings we met a couple who had the equivalent of 10004 - the Queen Elizabeth suite on the opposite side. They invited us in for a tour and it was a  fabulous suite. I asked about the motion with it being so far forward. They admitted it was a bit bumpy at times. But they had crossed the Atlantic in a small yacht so they weren't  bothered by sea-sickness.

On another crossing we had a PG cabin that was four doors down from 10004. One day was particularly rough and that cabin bounced a lot. I was almost thrown to the floor at one point and another time I was thrown into the edge of the bathroom door; fortunately there was no injury.

Although the QM2 is a very stable ship, like all ships it will pitch in rough seas.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:42 PM, showingdiva said:

I've just watched YouTube videos of both suites.   Setting aside having to sell a kidney to afford either, 9080 that you are already booked in is beautiful.   10004 is under the observation deck.  

For what it's worth, if it were me, I'd stay put.

I’m pretty sure a kidney won’t cover the cost…

While I love aft cabins that have panoramic ocean views, the aft view on QM2 has a few lower decks interposed into the view. As noted, there are some significant noise sources on those decks at times.

I have always been envious of having a glass elevator straight to the suite, so I would go for 10004. Of course, I am usually more bothered by party noise than I am by ocean movement, so the forward aspect wouldn’t bother me much. 

On 1/30/2022 at 1:19 AM, DaisyUK said:

Hi, am booked in suite 9080 but have noticed that 10004 has become available (same category). Any opinions as to which might be the best option?

I have been in 9082 The Holyrood and in 1004 the Queen Mary Suites. Both are nice Here are some of my thoughts. 9082 is aft, closer to the Queens Grill, the Queens Room and the Grills Lounge. I appreciated the shorter walk. The Holyrood was a nice size and having the Duplex made the sleeping quarters very nice indeed with two baths and ample storage. The disadvantage for me was that the smokers area was on 8 deck just below the balcony, and it was not a pleasant smell. It is possible that alternate arrangements have been made and that is no longer a problem. And the crew hosing off the QG terrace immediately above the suite every evening made it impossible to sit outside after dark

The forward suite is interesting in that it has two sitting areas, but the bedroom is inside and tends to feel dark and closer.  It is necessary to lower the blinds on the forward facing windows at sunset to prevent glare on the bridge. And they are very specific about that, they will do it for you if you haven't, already. The panoramic lift is a very elegant way to enter the suite from the Commodore which is just below, and it is near the Library, which I also used. It is a walk to the Grills though. If there is any pitching motion in the ship, you will feel it. 

Since I now travel Solo, neither of these suits me so I opt for a Q4 usually port side as I most often travel westbound. If you are going west bound you will be in the shade on 10003, but you will always have sun in the afternoon in the Duplex. It's and interesting choice to have though. All in all I think I would go with the Duplex. 

• Thanks 2

Many thanks BigMike for your very comprehensive response. All the info given in this thread has helped us to make the decision to stay with the aft suite. I am now somewhat concerned about the smoking area, and have my fingers crossed that this is no longer in use!

8 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Many thanks BigMike for your very comprehensive response. All the info given in this thread has helped us to make the decision to stay with the aft suite. I am now somewhat concerned about the smoking area, and have my fingers crossed that this is no longer in use!

I hope Cunard have made arrangements for the smokers to go elsewhere, or have provided proper venting and not up into the highest priced accommodation. After your trip, please let us know how it went. By the way on One crossing our neighbor in 9080 was Dr. Ruth Westheimer the noted sex lecturer. She was very pleasant to talk to, as you can imagine. 

Edited by Bigmike911

I hope so too!

Sounds like an interesting neighbour.. I had not heard of her, but google helped me out. What a fascinating life.

I will certainly report back. We are very excited to be trying our first Cunard cruises. Have never been on a ‘big’ ship before so it will be a whole new experience 😊

• 2 years later...

I have been researching this same question for an upcoming cruise and see that I never did come back and report back as I said I would.

We stayed in 9082 and loved it. All the advice given helped to manage our expectations. The smoking area was still there and there is little privacy on the balcony. However, it was a wonderful experience and we would definitely book the same suite again.

We are currently looking at another QM2 cruise and none of the Aft Q2s are available so we are once again considering 10004. It seems to be a very strange layout. Also, I can't figure out whether there are 2 bathrooms, or at least 2 WCs.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 1:09 AM, DaisyUK said:

I have been researching this same question for an upcoming cruise and see that I never did come back and report back as I said I would.

We stayed in 9082 and loved it. All the advice given helped to manage our expectations. The smoking area was still there and there is little privacy on the balcony. However, it was a wonderful experience and we would definitely book the same suite again.

We are currently looking at another QM2 cruise and none of the Aft Q2s are available so we are once again considering 10004. It seems to be a very strange layout. Also, I can't figure out whether there are 2 bathrooms, or at least 2 WCs.

1004 is a great suite. It has a bathroom with shower and tub and a guest back as well. It also has two sitting areas one forward and the other with a balcony. An interesting feature is that the enclosed outside lift from Deck 7 to Deck 12 actually stops at 1004,  but the door won't open unless your room card is inserted in the lift panel. Or you call the lift from you side 

There is no natural light in the bedroom if that matters. 

Mike.