Any ships lately?

ShrinkinTexas

Yesterday, another Celebrity ship docked that violated the size limits the majority of Citizens here voted for.  They were greeted by a large group of protesters both in fishing boats and on land.  I can’t imagine going somewhere that does not welcome the size ship you arrive on.  Hopefully some people who care about the locals in the ports they visit will write Celebrity and let them know not to ignore the wishes of the people who live in their ports.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the Carnival Conquest today   we docked at key west without incident   on the contrary, there were large banners everywhere welcoming cruise ships and cruisers.  There were key west "ambassadors" everywhere in bright orange shirts welcoming cruise ship passengers   I spoke to one of them who was of the opinion that this whole controversy was started by wealthy snowbirds "who want to turn key west into Martha's vineyard"   I did not see anyone protesting at all

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, dsfitz said:

I spoke to one of them who was of the opinion that this whole controversy was started by wealthy snowbirds "who want to turn key west into Martha's vineyard"   I did not see anyone protesting at all

60% of residents voted for the cruise ship ban and anyone that qualifies as a snowbird would not be eligible to vote in Monroe county since a snowbird, by definition, has a primary address somewhere else. 

Do you honestly believe that person gave an unbiased opinion shared by the majority of Key West residents?

20 hours ago, CT Sean said:

60% of residents voted for the cruise ship ban and anyone that qualifies as a snowbird would not be eligible to vote in Monroe county since a snowbird, by definition, has a primary address somewhere else.

Many Florida "Snowbirds" use Florida as their primary residence to avoid paying state taxes up north. As an over 40 victim of fate (ok well over 50..but that is another tune) Florida native, I find it interesting  that 60% of Key West residents want to restrict my access to my native state. I grew up in south Florida, bugged out for less populated areas of Florida when the population down there exploded (left in 1985). I still remember no stop lights between Florida city and Key West. The Islamorada tiki bar sat 30 people. Lake Largo was clean ocean water, with lobster and grouper in the canals. Anyone else remember the old seven mile bridge? Bad enough in good weather, real fun in a thunderstorm. If Key West residents don't like the changes, do what I did. Move. Population growth has radically altered Florida period, don't expect to restrict others rights just because some of the residents  don't want them there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:28 PM, CT Sean said:

Do you honestly believe that person gave an unbiased opinion shared by the majority of Key West residents?

No, I don't think it was unbiased.

He did mention, as the poster mentioned below, that a lot of the "snowbirds" claim Florida residency by living there 6 months plus 1 day to avoid taxes up north - so they could vote.

According to this individual, turnout was very low - so hard to say about the majority.

If you own a business, you want customers.  If you are just retired, you want as few as people as possible.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Anyislandwilldo said:

Have any more ships been able to stop?  The Carnival dream and other ships are scheduled for late March.  Just wondering??

Yes. It appears every ship on the schedule since mid February has made it to port. I have seen (via the port cam) Carnival, Norwegian, and Celebrity ships so far. Celeb Summit is due on the 11th, Norwegian Sky is due on the 12th, Nieuw Amsterdam on the 13th (11 more ships in March after that). Google Key West Port cam if you want to see them. Carnival Dream is scheduled on March 14th and March 28th from what I see.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, RedIguana said:

Yes. It appears every ship on the schedule since mid February has made it to port. I have seen (via the port cam) Carnival, Norwegian, and Celebrity ships so far. Celeb Summit is due on the 11th, Norwegian Sky is due on the 12th, Nieuw Amsterdam on the 13th (11 more ships in March after that). Google Key West Port cam if you want to see them. Carnival Dream is scheduled on March 14th and March 28th from what I see.

I'm on the Dream for March 28th and looking forward to it!!  Thanks!!

Looking at Celebrity Summit from our balcony at the end of the pier right now. She is about ready to sail away. Not sure what the occupancy is on this sailing but saw very few passengers get off and go into town. Saw a couple groups heading for excursions. 

• 4 months later...

We will be on Grandeur that is scheduled to dock there on November 14. The cruise continues to Labadee then returns to Miami. What is concerning is that while there are many shore excursions for Labadee and Miami -- there are absolutely none for Key West.  I wonder if this is a sign we sill skip Key West?