Emerald Beach/Lindbergh vs Sapphire Beach

cruise questions

Hi All, 

I have read so many threads on this forum and done a lot of searching. Can someone please clarify for me-

We will be docking at Crown Bay (Harmony)-we would like to take a cab and go to a beach where we can rent snorkel gear and snorkel from shore. Doesn't have to be the nicest/prettiest beach (my kids don't care about that!) but would like the shortest possible cab ride with decent beach/snorkeling (and again, need to be able to rent the gear there).  Preferably restrooms as well. Also doesn't have to be the best snorkeling in the world-just somewhere that we can see a few fish and some nice coral-we are easy to please! 

Am I correct that Emerald Beach/Lindbergh are closest (and about how far is this from the port?) Approximate cab fare per person?  Is this the same beach or different? If we chose to go here, would we just get a cab and say one of the beaches? Or do we need to specify more? I am just not sure if there are multiple drop off points/locations in this area or just one drop off point? 

Am I correct that Sapphire Beach will be 30-40 minutes from Crown Bay but is nice and does offer snorkel gear to rent? I believe I saw cab fare is $11 per person one way? 

Thank you!

Edited by cruise questions

Yes Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach for the Emerald Beach Resort) is closest to Crown Bay. Nice enough beach with amenities. Not known for snorkeling but there may be a spot where you can see some fish. Not sure about snorkel gear rentals, perhaps someone else can help with that. Brewer’s Bay is also nearby and may offer better snorkeling, again not sure about rentals. The taxi would drop you at the Emerald Resort unless you request another spot…

You are correct about Sapphire and yes there is a rental shack renting snorkel gear and other stuff…

• 4 weeks later...

If no reply from recent visitors  you can go to one source -

Emerald Beach Resort

8070 Lindbergh Bay, St.Thomas, USVI 00802
T: 
(340) 777-8800
E: reservations@emeraldbeach.com

Emerald Beach Resort

8070 Lindbergh Bay, St.Thomas, USVI 00802
T: (340) 777-8800
E: reservations@emeraldbeach.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have some pictures of Lindbergh when we were there last on a land vacation if you want to check them out you can click HERE to go to my blog. It wasn't our favorite beach and not one that we will probably return to but very close to your port. 

• 3 weeks later...

WE take a cab over to Emerald Beach the last couple times we've been in St Thomas. There is no snorkel rental, that I have ever seen. Plus, they won't really see hardly any fish. Snorkeling is not good there. I would head over to Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach for decent snorkeling and gear rental

On 4/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, doxiegal said:

WE take a cab over to Emerald Beach the last couple times we've been in St Thomas. There is no snorkel rental, that I have ever seen. Plus, they won't really see hardly any fish. Snorkeling is not good there. I would head over to Sapphire Beach or Coki Beach for decent snorkeling and gear rental

Thank you!

We were at Sapphire in November. They do rent snorkel gear.  Nice beach.  If you snorkel you have to go to the right side out from the rocks.  It was decent.

i don’t remember the cab fare but it was about a 15-20 minute ride.  

Edited by volk904

The east end beaches are a 30-40 minute taxi @ $11/pp each way from Crown.

For snorkeling at Sapphire, there is a coral area to the right of the rental center (as you face the water), as well as a sea grass area where you may see sea turtles and rays to the left of the rental center.

The water at Sapphire can be like glass, or rougher than heck. If you want dead calm water with snorkeling, Secret Harbor is another option…

• Like 1