The Elbe river 2022 - not just water levels

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

So, what struck me as unusual is indeed unusual and some people have had a hand in it. I will explain. But first, the Elbe at Dresden. The level has steadily fallen and now correlates with the other rivers again. 65cm is really low:

image.png.d36e4bfd4a829ed07e7480014b95dcb8.png

According to the BAfG, what happened at the Elbe was not all nature's doing. Here is the explanation for @AnhaltER1960 . Quote: "Aus technischen Gründen (Talsperren-Bauarbeiten) unterliegt die Wasserführung der Elbe derzeit stärkerer anthropogener Veränderung und entspricht weniger den na-
türlichen Abflussbildungsprozessen."

This basically means that "anthropos", here male and possibly a few female engineers and workmen, have been fiddling with levers, bolts, steel and concrete in the Czech Republic at the reservoir and altered the volume of water the river sends to Germany.

notamermaid

Any idea why?  Or for how long the Czechs will be doing this?

2 minutes ago, loriva said:

Any idea why?  Or for how long the Czechs will be doing this?

No, not really. I understood it to mean that either the river had been kept artificially high, i.e. they retained less water and are now refilling the reservoir, meaning they are finished, or they will be doing some work on and off. AnhalterER1960 is closer to the area and the more technical mind, so I hope he will read my post in the near future.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Elbe is for this time of year relatively high at Dresden gauge. I suspected a continued anomaly due to the work going on at the dams in the Czech Republic. The low water report issued yesterday confirms this. The Elbe level will still see a few weeks of man-made rise and fall. The German text: "Das derzeit eigentlich niedrige Abflussniveau der Elbe wird durch
bautechnisch bedingte Abgaben aus tschechischen Talsperren noch über mehrere Wo-
chen hinweg (allerdings in uneinheitlicher Weise) aufgehöht"

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is September, time to have a look at the Elbe gauge at Dresden for August. In a nutshell: erratic and unusual:

image.png.9c69140a59ef944a6edfad4f9a608d60.png

While the low trend, the peak due to rain and the otherwise consistently low levels on the Rhine and Danube are clearly visible and can easily be explained, the pattern at Dresden is a weird one and as suggested by the "Niedrigwasserbericht" this was due to the work going on in the Czech Republic and would continue for more weeks. I would say that this is what the first half of August is showing us. It is interesting to note just how much a river can be controlled with large scale alteration like several locks and an adjacent reservoir that diverts some of the flow and retains water. However, the weather pattern changed and rain was able to raise the levels of both the Elbe and the Oder in a more sustained way. The new Niedrigwasserbericht does not mention the works on the reservoirs so the Elbe should react more naturally and the report suggests the latest weather forecast points to the Elbe dropping to lower levels again.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, Late to the Party said:

We are due to travel Viking’s Elegant Elbe at the beginning of October. 
Any idea regarding water levels next month? Will we be sailing or bussing?

Just an hour ago my glass bowl hit the floor and crashed and now you are coming forward with that question.....

Now, honest: Nobody can seriously predict river water levels four weeks ahead. BUT: The Elbe had performed surprisingly well during the last months, especially compared with the Rhine or the Danube. Reasons are a bit unclear, some had been discusses in this thread earlier on (eg emptying Moldau reservoirs for maintenance works). There are heavy rainfalls predicted in the region for the next days. This gives a sound prospect that there will be enough water in the river for sailing. October has not been a critical time in the last years, too. So, while not a guarantee, I am quite confident that you can enjoy your cruise as a cruise.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AnhaltER1960 said:

Just an hour ago my glass bowl hit the floor and crashed and now you are coming forward with that question.....

:classic_laugh: Good to read from you again. Hope you are keeping well and and the Dessau area is a bit greener than the Rhine valley.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Time to have a quick look at the Elbe. It has rained a lot around Prague so that in effect brings a high volume of water to the Elbe via the Vltava, or the Moldau, as we say in German. The gauge at Dresden now shows 191cm. Very good.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, Pemaquid Curmudgeon said:

Been following the Viking Boats Astrild & Beyla on MarineTraffic.com and it "seems" that the first fall season cruises have been moving along.  Does anyone from those cruises have any further info?

Indeed Viking have restarted Elbe-sailings after their 2 months summer break ten days ago. As the water tables are good, the ships run on schedule.

On 9/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, notamermaid said:

:classic_laugh: Good to read from you again. Hope you are keeping well and and the Dessau area is a bit greener than the Rhine valley.

notamermaid

Thank you @notamermaid. Indeed, there had been some rain and even the grass, which looked burnt a couple of weeks ago, has recovered. So everything on green here and the folks on the move between Covid and the next heating bill keep me busy.

• Like 1

It is September 28, 2022. I am on the Elbe river sailing on the Viking Beyla ship (from Prague to Berlin). I can tell you that the water level is -- as the Captain just told me -- excellent. No navigation problems at all. It has been raining off and on for several days and the river has benefited from it.

For several weeks before our trip I tried to find actual current water levels here and all over the internet. Very frustrating. So, for anyone interested, I hope you enjoy my on-the-spot report.

Here's a photo of the river I took as we left Decin at 0530.

Elbe River.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CSINC said:

I can tell you that the water level is -- as the Captain just told me -- excellent.

That is nice to read. The Elbe had been doing better lately and overall fared a bit better than the Danube due to the work in the Czech Republic. So I did not post much.

You have left Decin. This is the level at Schöna, the first gauge in Germany:

image.png.8896571b29c2f7a65ad36f1a0bd3fe61.png

And Dresden:

image.png.c243380c1ce61a28c68d04d49f74baba.png

Monthly report to follow.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is October and time to look back at the river levels in September at Dresden:

image.png.9cc6997561e54cd588e609ea0bb66ccc.png

A rocky start to the month with a worrying drop in the second week. But the higher volume of rain and lower temperatures helped and kept the level pleasant for the rest of the month. Into October we continued to see a level of over 100cm. We now have dryer days but for now the level is still good. 115cm.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

The Elbe at Dresden is looking good at 149cm.

Let us travel a bit upstream closer to the border with the Czech Republic and the town Bad Schandau. Precisely, I would like to draw your attention to a district of that town, which is called Schmilka. This place is old and sleepy, or rather was until a person with an unusual idea "saved" it, now Schmilka is a holiday destination again: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220902-schmilka-the-progressive-german-town-stuck-in-the-past

Could you get to it on a river cruise? Yes, apart from the village being on the Elbe anyway, the fact that Bad Schandau has a river cruise landing stage (Viking) makes it very accessible. Schmilka is only seven kilometres away from Bad Schandau centre.

If you know the area between Pirna and the Czech Republic do share your thoughts.

notamermaid

On 10/20/2022 at 5:27 PM, notamermaid said:

The Elbe at Dresden is looking good at 149cm.

Let us travel a bit upstream closer to the border with the Czech Republic and the town Bad Schandau. Precisely, I would like to draw your attention to a district of that town, which is called Schmilka. This place is old and sleepy, or rather was until a person with an unusual idea "saved" it, now Schmilka is a holiday destination again: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220902-schmilka-the-progressive-german-town-stuck-in-the-past

Could you get to it on a river cruise? Yes, apart from the village being on the Elbe anyway, the fact that Bad Schandau has a river cruise landing stage (Viking) makes it very accessible. Schmilka is only seven kilometres away from Bad Schandau centre.

If you know the area between Pirna and the Czech Republic do share your thoughts.

notamermaid

I can't answer the question about the area, but I can provide Viking's outline for the stop in Bad Schandau from our upcoming "Christmas on the Elbe" cruisetour.  It appears there may be limited time to explore unless one skips the tour to the Bastei as the itinerary from Viking has us docked at Bad Schandau only for the timing of the tour--1400-1730 hours.  In December, of course, about half of that time will be after sunset (1558 hours).

"This morning, cruise through the magnificent, soaring rock formations of the Saxon Switzerland region and partake in a festive cookie demonstration.  Dock at the spa town of Bad Schandau and set out on an included tour to the famous rock tower known as the Bastei (bastion), formed by water a million years ago, to enjoy stunning panoramic views of the Elbe.  Return on board for dinner and evening cruising."

As always, @notamermaid, thank you for the interesting information.  I'll make a note of it in our travel itinerary in case we do have some time for a little side trip.  I wonder if they bottle the beer from the brewery mentioned and offer it for sale in Bad Schandau if we do not have an opportunity to travel to Schmilka?

Interesting. So far I had not actually read that Viking stops in Bad Schandau on a regular itinerary, must have overlooked that.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, loriva said:

I wonder if they bottle the beer from the brewery mentioned and offer it for sale in Bad Schandau if we do not have an opportunity to travel to Schmilka?

Perhaps it is sold or served in Bad Schandau itself. If you feel like inquiring (contact details at bottom of page): https://bad-schandau.de/

It looks like a really nice area, never been to that part of the East of my country unfortunately.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

It is November so let us have a look at how the Elbe at Dresden did in October:

image.png.438445b1b121b1f99bb05d74e75fa6cd.png

Overall the river was low in October but a good amount of rain easily could raise the river to the mean (MW line) around 20 October. With the heat gone and the trend going towards more rain - compared to October that is - hopefully the satisfactory conditions will continue.

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Now a first bit of winter has kissed the Elbe region with freezing temperatures and even a bit of snow two days ago. Water levels are, as @notamermaid has reported, on the low end, but sufficient for sailing. All Elbe cruises are running on schedule and this will likely be the case until the end of this year/season.

Looking forward to opening of the Christmas markets tomorrow/on monday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand there are low water issues.  For the early season Viking sailings, say later March/early April, are there high water issues or other issues?  I know nothing is guaranteed, but is it 50/50 you'll sail, or 90 % sail, 10% bus.

I also know it can be cold weather, just always been intrigued by the route and would like to have the best chance for sailing.  Thanks...

On 12/2/2022 at 11:19 PM, ural guy said:

For the early season Viking sailings, say later March/early April, are there high water issues or other issues? 

In March/early April you get the effects of snow melt (it will start earlier than that) and potentially some heavy rain. It depends on the weather conditions in each individual year. It can lead to flooding but does not have to. Historical data from the "Undine" website points to high water issues rather that low water issues in that time frame. This is as much as I can say.

Unfortunately, Viking does not appear to give away data easily as to how many sailings of theirs are affected each year. I have seen sporadic comments from Croisi Europe in articles.

notamermaid

• Like 1