NCL Protocols Expiration?

WillandTam

For some reason I seem to remember reading the enhanced protocols ie mask requirement was expiring today 1/31/22. This may have been answered many times on here but I was unable to find it. We were on the Gem in August mask free and it was almost normal. Plus it was a huge selling point with NCL and since the institution of this policy many have canceled as we did on our Epic cruise we were supposed to take on January 9th almost entirely due to this protocol. We have an FCC to use but won't book again until we can see everyone's face again. Does anyone know the expiry date of the restrictions?

Edited by WillandTam

I believe the "rules" you are referring to were CDC rules that NCL had agreed to abide by. Yes, those rules become "optional" as of end of day today. But, NCL has chosen to continue to follow those rules until March 31 (someone please correct me if 3/31 is incorrect!). Most US based cruise lines are following the rules beyond 1/31 as well.

20 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

however,  think March 1st or so they will now let you do 48 hours testing ahead of embarkation and not test at the port.  I think that is better.

Except for the people who now have to find a place to test - not so easy if you are coming in a few days early or international. Plus an added cost for many. Testing at the port is something like $125/pp or more, depending on the port.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Except for the people who now have to find a place to test - not so easy if you are coming in a few days early or international. Plus an added cost for many. Testing at the port is something like $125/pp or more, depending on the port.

agree all this testing is getting to be stressful.  Now some ports want 48 hours and well some ships sail and won't arrive until 72 hours or more.  Now they put stress on the ship to test in order to arrive.

It is all getting to be too much for us who are vaccinated and boosted.  That is why I only did one cruise last year and it was to a port that I could drive to.  Otherwise, I did FL theme parks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ECCruise said:

And, thankfully for the cruise lines, ours will continue for the 17 we have booked.  Those horrible masks or not. 

Yes, we have returned to cruising BECAUSE of the safety protocols being followed.

I also thank those who refuse to wear a mask for cancelling and not cruising rather than boarding and daring the staff to enforce the rules.

Once I got past the "I don't wanna" stage, I realized that wearing a mask is not big deal.
As for "seeing the faces" of thousands of strangers who I will never meet again - definitely not a deal breaker.  They might as well be masked.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1