Le Boreal for the rest of the Antarctic season

ethan1171

Yes - I agree. Seems from an article just posted, Ponant is using l'Austral for quarantining crew/passengers in Ushuaia - so maybe Boreal might be ferrying positive crew/passengers from Punta Arenas / Le Commandant Charcot back to Ushuaia for quarantining at L'Austral - so that it would allow Commandant Charcot to continue on her next trip? The next few days will tell.... 

Edited by ethan1171

14 hours ago, ethan1171 said:

Yes - I agree. Seems from an article just posted, Ponant is using l'Austral for quarantining crew/passengers in Ushuaia - so maybe Boreal might be ferrying positive crew/passengers from Punta Arenas / Le Commandant Charcot back to Ushuaia for quarantining at L'Austral - so that it would allow Commandant Charcot to continue on her next trip? The next few days will tell.... 

@ethan1171 is this the article (near the end) or did you mean a different one?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6712

Edited by cboyle

Correct. 

"....In all, some 40 crew members were sent to Le Lyrial's sister ship, L'Austral, which had been designated by Ponant as a quarantine venue for crew off its four ships in Antarctica. ....."

It demonstrates why Ponant has been one of the few able to navigate the Antarctica season this year so much better than others such as Quark, Oceanwide etc.

• Like 1

I was just on the phone with Ponant ... as I wondered why l'Austral was not docked as it was supposed to sail out today?

Of course I didn't hear anything about the "quarantine" ship and unfortunately I didn't see these posts before my call so I couldn't ask?
But OK, today's Austral departure (with National Geographic) is indeed cancelled and so far the next departures of 11th and 21rd of February are still confirmed ... for the time being.
I hope to be on the 3rd of March departure but as I am leaving for Argentina already on 22nd of February ... I called them what the status was on l'Austral?

Not much we can do I guess ... than wait and hope for the best?

If they are using L'Austral for quarantine - if they will have no more incidents - or they find alternatives in Ushuaia - they can free up L'Austral for the 11th .. 21rd and then March ... but if they continue needing to quarantine crew or passengers so the rest of the ships can operate ... then maybe more L'Austral cancellations.

On a positive note Argentina's weekly case % change is -41% (vs -33% US) - so we are heading in the right direction.

And Boreal is not docked next to Charcot but still on anchorage. Since HL cruise told that they had staff issues because of a change in regulations regarding crew exchange, could be a reason to fly crew into Chile instead but it is indeed a bit strange 

Another reason could be that Provision is sent to Ushuaia and they need to transfer it to Charcot ?  

• 2 weeks later...

...and Ethan1171 is leaving SFO in a few hours heading down to Buenos Aires. 😁 More updates on our adventure tomorrow. Le Lyrial is on for our departure out of Ushuaia on Sunday. Lets see how this is going to turn out. Excitement is building!

• Like 5