Boots for Antarctica cruising

fergorama

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, mbanks1220 said:

Does anyone know if the boots provided by Ponant in Antarctica come in half sizes?   Are they insulated?   Do you need thick socks?   Any help is appreciated.

If I recall correctly, they were offered in even European sizes (32, 34, etc.), they are insulated and you’ll want thick socks to wear with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:47 PM, fergorama said:

Can anyone clarify whether boots are provided for Zodiac landings are provided by Ponant or are you expected to rent them from an outfitter in Ushuaia?

There are lots of boots available to try on. Just try several pairs until you find the size that works best with your heavy socks. Don’t stress about this!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do Ponant give you the jackets once you board the ship or at the hotel in Buenos Aires? I'm asking because we're going on the excursion to Tierra del Fuego on arrival with them into Ushuaia before boarding the ship and I'd like to know whether I'll need to bring my own insulated and waterproof jacket to wear that day so I don't freeze!

Also, how warm is the jacket they will give us? I assume it's insukated to some degree but that I'd need a fleece layer as well as a down-filled layer underneath as well as insulated pants (like ski trousers).

On 1/5/2024 at 5:52 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

Do Ponant give you the jackets once you board the ship or at the hotel in Buenos Aires? I'm asking because we're going on the excursion to Tierra del Fuego on arrival with them into Ushuaia before boarding the ship and I'd like to know whether I'll need to bring my own insulated and waterproof jacket to wear that day so I don't freeze!

Also, how warm is the jacket they will give us? I assume it's insukated to some degree but that I'd need a fleece layer as well as a down-filled layer underneath as well as insulated pants (like ski trousers).

As per AussieBoy, the Ponant parka is issued to you on board, as are boots to borrow but not keep.  You are mandated to bring waterproof over-pants.  They recommend a fleece or sweater as an underlayer on top.  I have insulated golf pants, plus long underwear and sweat pants.  I'm from New Hampshire and Iowa so I'm not really worried about it.  Sailing Le Lyrial end of month.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 6:21 AM, marieps said:

As per AussieBoy, the Ponant parka is issued to you on board, as are boots to borrow but not keep.  You are mandated to bring waterproof over-pants.  They recommend a fleece or sweater as an underlayer on top.  I have insulated golf pants, plus long underwear and sweat pants.  I'm from New Hampshire and Iowa so I'm not really worried about it.  Sailing Le Lyrial end of month.  Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks very much for your answer. Would you wear all of those layers at once for Antarctica - long underwear, sweat pants and golf pants witht he waterproofs over the top? I had thought long underwear plus a warm layer would suffice under the waterproofs, or to be honest just underwear and ski pants. I'm from a warm climate myself so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

On 1/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks very much for your answer. Would you wear all of those layers at once for Antarctica - long underwear, sweat pants and golf pants witht he waterproofs over the top? I had thought long underwear plus a warm layer would suffice under the waterproofs, or to be honest just underwear and ski pants. I'm from a warm climate myself so it's a bit of a mystery to me.

Sailed with Ponant L’Austral to Antarctica in Dec 2022.  Fabulous trip.
I had 3 layers on bottom - thermal underwear + fleece pants + waterproof pants

top was thermal + fleece jacket + Ponant jacket.

two pairs socks - one thin/one thick.

did not feel cold at all - at times because of exertion, was feeling hot !

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kimbo22 said:

Sailed with Ponant L’Austral to Antarctica in Dec 2022.  Fabulous trip.
I had 3 layers on bottom - thermal underwear + fleece pants + waterproof pants

top was thermal + fleece jacket + Ponant jacket.

two pairs socks - one thin/one thick.

did not feel cold at all - at times because of exertion, was feeling hot !

Thanks very much for your answer Kimboo - I'm also from Melbourne so our perceptions of temperature are probably similar! Appreciate very much the specific advice regarding those bottom layers.

• Like 1