Black Sea in September

manc

For those concerned about making final payment, we made ours weeks ago and haven't heard.  But we understand the issues.  Changing entire itineraries is not like making a quick substitution of one Caribbean or Mediterranean port for another.  And the itineraries are  not all the same, so there are variations that need to be addressed.  Agreements with new ports need to be arranged and inked.  Sea distances need to be computed and coordinated, often times with tidal changes.  Tour operators, even if they have a relationship in the past, need to be contacted and tours arranged.  

All of which needs to be completely done prior to the release of any itinerary changes.  Azamara told us that things are in process, and we trust that they are.

We leave on a trip that leaves in less than a month that includes a Black Sea cruise (as well as a Greek intensive one, tours in South Africa, Ireland and the Baltic--which has its own issues because it includes Krakow, less than 100 miles from the Ukrainian border--and Italy).  There are dozens of moving pieces in this 10 weeks of travel and we decided long ago that you have to be patient and, if necessary, go with the flow.  COVID-19 and 17 trips cancelled or severely altered solidified that attitude.  The geopolitical situation is just another unexpected curve being thrown at us all. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, ECCruise said:

For those concerned about making final payment, we made ours weeks ago and haven't heard.  But we understand the issues.  Changing entire itineraries is not like making a quick substitution of one Caribbean or Mediterranean port for another.  And the itineraries are  not all the same, so there are variations that need to be addressed.  Agreements with new ports need to be arranged and inked.  Sea distances need to be computed and coordinated, often times with tidal changes.  Tour operators, even if they have a relationship in the past, need to be contacted and tours arranged.  

All of which needs to be completely done prior to the release of any itinerary changes.  Azamara told us that things are in process, and we trust that they are.

We leave on a trip that leaves in less than a month that includes a Black Sea cruise (as well as a Greek intensive one, tours in South Africa, Ireland and the Baltic--which has its own issues because it includes Krakow, less than 100 miles from the Ukrainian border--and Italy).  There are dozens of moving pieces in this 10 weeks of travel and we decided long ago that you have to be patient and, if necessary, go with the flow.  COVID-19 and 17 trips cancelled or severely altered solidified that attitude.  The geopolitical situation is just another unexpected curve being thrown at us all. 

Traveling right now is not for the faint of heart!  Your attitude is 100% spot on.  Definitely have to be willing to go with the flow!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gasman489 said:

Traveling right now is not for the faint of heart!  Your attitude is 100% spot on.  Definitely have to be willing to go with the flow!  

We are very happy to go with the flow - even on a mystery tour.  Some may not be happy to repeat ports already done - especially those with back to back that may end up repeating ports on the same trip.   We booked this trip because although there were some repeat ports for us there were some new ones too.  We, as customers,  also need time to plan and book around the changes should we chose not to accept them and go somewhere else.

• Like 1

We were supposed to be on the April 19 cruise to the Greek Islands that was cancelled, so we decided to do our own thing and travel around the islands on these incredibly luxurious ships called….ferries!  😂 

55 minutes ago, gasman489 said:

We were supposed to be on the April 19 cruise to the Greek Islands that was cancelled, so we decided to do our own thing and travel around the islands on these incredibly luxurious ships called….ferries!  😂 

we looked at that lol but the planning needed for accommodation around the ferry timetable became too much.  We are also on a six week holiday so dragging suitcases around was not something we were looking forward to.

Edited by Janet&Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update :

The new May 5th cruise changes were posted a few hours ago under

May 5, 2022 Black Sea & North Greece Voyage

"Just received email from Azamara. Here is the revised cruise:

5-May-22: Istanbul, Turkey
6-May-22:Istanbul, Turkey
7-May-22: Varna, Bulgaria
8-May-22: Burgas, Bulgaria
9-May-22: At Sea
10-May-22: Canakkale (Kepez), Turkey
11-May-22: Kavala, Greece
12-May: Thessaloniki, Greece
13-May-22: Volos, Greece
14-May-22: Cesme, Turkey
15-May-22: Mykonos, Greece
16-May-22: Athens (Piraeus), Greece
17-May-22: Athens (Piraeus), Greece"

-Gail

22 hours ago, java spot said:

Has anyone received the itinerary for the June 27 sailing yet? Athens to Athens? Please post if you have. None of these changes are on the Azamara website yet. Thanks!

9D9B87AA-1052-4F4A-8D6B-0D9981F0E694.jpeg

• Like 1

We are an Australian couple fully vaxed with boosters. We were hoping to book the May 5 cruise Istanbul to Athens.   We were planning to fly to Istanbul, stay a few days and then board the ship.  I just read there is covid testing before we board.  What contingency plans do people have if they test positive and can't board.  We would have to isolate in Istanbul and then somehow hope we were clear to fly to Athens to get on a plane to come home.   I wondered what others think they will do. Thanks

1 hour ago, kbcruiser10 said:

We are an Australian couple fully vaxed with boosters. We were hoping to book the May 5 cruise Istanbul to Athens.   We were planning to fly to Istanbul, stay a few days and then board the ship.  I just read there is covid testing before we board.  What contingency plans do people have if they test positive and can't board.  We would have to isolate in Istanbul and then somehow hope we were clear to fly to Athens to get on a plane to come home.   I wondered what others think they will do. Thanks

kbcruiser this might be better as a whole new topic/thread on its own.  It might get more response than it being at the end of the Black Sea topic.  There may be a wider audience to your question and people with experience.

• Like 3

This is from the Azamara website.....

• If I test positive for SARS-COV-2 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your compensation policy and what associated costs are covered?
    • A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.  
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and flight change fees to return home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.  

We encourage guests purchase travel insurance for added peace of mind and reassurance, either through Azamara or other insurance provider of your choice.

15 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

• If I test positive for SARS-COV-2 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your compensation policy and what associated costs are covered?
    • A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.  
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and flight change fees to return home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.  

We encourage guests purchase travel insurance for added peace of mind and reassurance, either through Azamara or other insurance provider of your choice.

Guests sailing on or before October 31st, 2021 have the following reassurance at no extra charge.

Unless there is an updated version, which I have yet to find, the above lies between paragraphs one and two of your post. If there is an updated version, it would be helpful if you could post a link.

1 hour ago, Janet&Carl said:

Yes. The issue is the statement in the second dot point about proof of a negative antigen or PCR covid test prior to travel.  I want to get to Istanbul on 2 May and spend a couple of days seeing Istanbul before embarking on 5 May.  I will have a covid test before I leave Australia on 1 May.  When I get to Istanbul I would like to stay in a hotel for two days to see a bit of Istanbul and then embark on 5 May.  So I will have had a negative test before I leave Sydney but how many days prior to being tested at the cruise terminal in Istanbul would I need to have tested negative?  It only says prior to travel, but doesn't say how long prior to boarding.  Azamara can't even answer that question.  

Edited by kbcruiser10
added a sentence

On 3/18/2022 at 4:05 PM, drcpas said:

Just an update :

The new May 5th cruise changes were posted a few hours ago under

May 5, 2022 Black Sea & North Greece Voyage

"Just received email from Azamara. Here is the revised cruise:

5-May-22: Istanbul, Turkey
6-May-22:Istanbul, Turkey
7-May-22: Varna, Bulgaria
8-May-22: Burgas, Bulgaria
9-May-22: At Sea
10-May-22: Canakkale (Kepez), Turkey
11-May-22: Kavala, Greece
12-May: Thessaloniki, Greece
13-May-22: Volos, Greece
14-May-22: Cesme, Turkey
15-May-22: Mykonos, Greece
16-May-22: Athens (Piraeus), Greece
17-May-22: Athens (Piraeus), Greece"

-Gail

Hi

I am considering booking this cruise.  Do you know if you can check in and be covid tested on 5 May and then get off the ship and go and explore Istanbul for the rest of the day?  And also leave the ship on 6 May and explore a bit more before sailing at 6pm?  ie, use the ship as a hotel?  And on arrival in Athens on 16 also leave the ship to explore Athens before checking out on the morning of 17 May?  

Edited by kbcruiser10
additional sentence

3 hours ago, kbcruiser10 said:

Hi

I am considering booking this cruise.  Do you know if you can check in and be covid tested on 5 May and then get off the ship and go and explore Istanbul for the rest of the day?  And also leave the ship on 6 May and explore a bit more before sailing at 6pm?  ie, use the ship as a hotel?  And on arrival in Athens on 16 also leave the ship to explore Athens before checking out on the morning of 17 May?  

yes they are port days and you use the ship like a hotel.  You will find that you can also book excursions on these days with Azamara.

• 2 weeks later...

Of possible interest to this thread...

[Reading between the lines, below:  Don't have your heart set on Bulgaria]

Turkish MPA Detects The 3rd Sea Mine Off Turkey Coast In The Black Sea

A CN-235 maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) of the Turkish Navy detected a mine-like object in Turkish waters of the Black Sea on the afternoon of 06 April and classified it as a sea mine.

Turkish Ministry of Defence announced the incident on Twitter, indicating that the Turkish Navy sent an underwater defense team to neutralize the sea mine.  The drifting mine was detected off the coast of Kefken (~160 kilometers east of Istanbul) in the Black Sea. The estimated position of the mine is shown with a red circle on the map below.

linked article

The first mine was detected on March 26 in the anchorage area off the coast of Istanbul, and the second was found two days later near the Turkish-Bulgarian maritime border. This was the third mine discovered in Turkish waters in the Black Sea.

Romania had found a floating mine on March 28 and neutralized it with EODs. Four sea mines have been discovered so far since Russia’s March 18 NAVTEX release, which said there are about 420 floating mines in the Black Sea.

Screenshot 2022-04-06 132813.jpg

Edited by TurtleBreath