Costa maya taxi now $4/pp no discount for groups

mm82831

Just back from costa maya and I thought the taxi.was going to be $3/pp, but I guess a recent change and it is now 4/pp each way.  I was with a group and we could not negotiate a lower pp charge.  I think the taxi cost is getting too high for a 2 mile trip.  Seems ALL taxis are now controlled by one company, and it seems like it is a taxi cartel.

I have been to this port many times and always go to the beach.  The last 2 times I have had issues with a beach vendor quoting a beer price on arrival, and when the bill came the prices were different.  I think they feel with a few drinks and you will not catch it. I wonder how often the get away with it.  

I am considering staying on the ship on future visits.  If they do this nonsense to much, they are going to get a bad reputation.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, mm82831 said:

Just back from costa maya and I thought the taxi.was going to be $3/pp, but I guess a recent change and it is now 4/pp each way.  I was with a group and we could not negotiate a lower pp charge.  I think the taxi cost is getting too high for a 2 mile trip.  Seems ALL taxis are now controlled by one company, and it seems like it is a taxi cartel.

I have been to this port many times and always go to the beach.  The last 2 times I have had issues with a beach vendor quoting a beer price on arrival, and when the bill came the prices were different.  I think they feel with a few drinks and you will not catch it. I wonder how often the get away with it.  

I am considering staying on the ship on future visits.  If they do this nonsense to much, they are going to get a bad reputation.

On one hand, I can understand people (NOT a company monopoly which may be as you described) trying to make up for lost $$ from times that there was no business because there were no cruise ships. But $2 MORE per person from just a short while ago is ridiculous. That takes my family of 4 from $8 each way - very reasonable - to $16 each way. I think a per-taxi rate makes more sense than a per-person rate (up to 4 people) when going the same distance. Why would Costa Maya be the same price for 4 people as a taxi in Cozumel when you have to go much further in Cozumel, and Cozumel is a more expensive place to live & do business? 

On 2/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, mm82831 said:

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

On one hand, I can understand people (NOT a company monopoly which may be as you described) trying to make up for lost $$ from times that there was no business because there were no cruise ships. But $2 MORE per person from just a short while ago is ridiculous. That takes my family of 4 from $8 each way - very reasonable - to $16 each way. I think a per-taxi rate makes more sense than a per-person rate (up to 4 people) when going the same distance. Why would Costa Maya be the same price for 4 people as a taxi in Cozumel when you have to go much further in Cozumel, and Cozumel is a more expensive place to live & do business? 

I agree that taxis in Costa Maya are out of hand if this is universally  true, I guess we will find out next week. 

Mexican taxis are generally in a union with negotiated rates. 

I am not sure what has changed that they are now allowed back in port for pick-ups. This was the case a long time ago then it was changed to only drop offs. Management of the port of Costa Maya has always been subject to rumors. 

When cruising first resumed the $8 per taxi rate was reported the same as before lock down. I agree to change to $4pp making it $16 for a family of 4 is ridiculous. Fortunately we are usually a party of 2 and so will still be $8 but will insist for that rate we get a taxi FOR TWO and are not made to share. Agree you go about three/four times the distance in Cozumel for $16.

No one has actually answered my question as to whether there is an actual dispatch captain since the taxi stand has moved into the port and I am wondering if the port authority has taken control since they have stopped their trolley to town.

Unfortunately at the end of the day it will be the private business owners in town that will suffer if the rate is too high and people decide to stay at the port instead.

Edited by c-leg5

I was in Costa Maya in November 2021 and the taxi situation was terrible. They started out with $5 pp but we were able to get it down a bit. The worse was at the beach. The restaurant/club started out trying to charge us $5 per chair and when we said we would just leave they dropped it. They gave us a menu with prices and we started a tab. When the bill came, all the prices were almost doubled. When I showed him the price on the menu, he said that we got the extra large size (not even listed on the menu). They didn't accept credit cards and he ended up having to take the cash I had on hand, which was much closer to what the bill should have been based on the menu prices. I would not recommend running a tab. Pay as you go to avoid unpleasant surprises. 

1 hour ago, 650cs said:

I was in Costa Maya in November 2021 and the taxi situation was terrible. They started out with $5 pp but we were able to get it down a bit. The worse was at the beach. The restaurant/club started out trying to charge us $5 per chair and when we said we would just leave they dropped it. They gave us a menu with prices and we started a tab. When the bill came, all the prices were almost doubled. When I showed him the price on the menu, he said that we got the extra large size (not even listed on the menu). They didn't accept credit cards and he ended up having to take the cash I had on hand, which was much closer to what the bill should have been based on the menu prices. I would not recommend running a tab. Pay as you go to avoid unpleasant surprises. 

Which beach bar were you at? We have always run a tab previously and haven’t paid for loungers unless on a package.

Edited by c-leg5