Advice needed about adding or uploading security photo on Medallion class app, please.

Anna K

On 2/4/2022 at 7:49 AM, mtnesterz said:

As far as the photo, agree with @CineGraphic As you are new here, I think you will find him a source of sound advice.

In the larger issue, received a call two days ago from Princess saying we would not be allowed to board unless we got to Green on OceanReady.

I called Princess and got a call back from Medallion. The tech confirmed that for one reason or another, many people aren't completing pre-boarding.  He said not to worry about it and bring hard copies and QR codes to the pier and check in as it used to be done. (My app issues didn't get fixed.) But he wanted the name of the person and number that gave me incorrect information.

The elephant in the room is that the Medallion app is utter garbage, but the brainchild of the current president of Princess.

Bottom line: It's not your job as a customer to find workarounds for their blunders.

This whole app check-in thing is kinda making me crazy!  Has anyone actually ever been denied boarding because they weren't fully checked in?  And what QR codes is one to bring??  Thx for any help...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, julia said:

This whole app check-in thing is kinda making me crazy!  Has anyone actually ever been denied boarding because they weren't fully checked in?  And what QR codes is one to bring??  Thx for any help...

Princess knows people are having trouble, so as long as other papers are in order, it's OK.  The QR codes are for our vaccines, which ours are hard copies, Covid test results, (for Californians) and Safe Travels Hawaii, also hard copies. What a palaver!

Since writing last, Princess has started availability for a web based Medallion. I hope this will benefit those of you cruising later. To find the web based Medallion, I had to log in and go to Booked Guests. Then a link below the icons for the app.

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Princess knows people are having trouble, so as long as other papers are in order, it's OK.  The QR codes are for our vaccines, which ours are hard copies, Covid test results, (for Californians) and Safe Travels Hawaii, also hard copies. What a palaver!

Since writing last, Princess has started availability for a web based Medallion. I hope this will benefit those of you cruising later. To find the web based Medallion, I had to log in and go to Booked Guests. Then a link below the icons for the app.

from what I am told, the QR code is also the same as your digital boarding pass, which on the Princess website says we need for boarding.  

8 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

from what I am told, the QR code is also the same as your digital boarding pass, which on the Princess website says we need for boarding.  

Yes, I see a QR code for the blue lane on the Medallion app. Which may not be accessible at the pier. I'm bringing a hard copy of my Passage Contract to show our cruise is paid in full.

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Yes, I see a QR code for the blue lane on the Medallion app. Which may not be accessible at the pier. I'm bringing a hard copy of my Passage Contract to show our cruise is paid in full.

because I can't get my security photo to upload, I can't get my QR code on the blue lane.  Hopefully i get it fixed before we leave in May.  I agree...always a hard copy along is a good rule of thumb.  

• 2 months later...

If you are not able to upload a security photo from your smartphone, you can do it from their website: Log In or Create an Account - My Princess - Princess Cruises

(https://www.princess.com/my-princess/login)

However, after the successful upload of my security photo, the Medallion app lost my booking info and I had to re-enter my booking number for the info to reappear.

Good luck and happy cruising to all!

Like many, I had trouble getting the security photo to work.  Finally just took a picture of my passport and that worked. Except that I still couldn't choose a lane; it always said they were all full.  Meanwhile, my sister, in another state, trying at approximately the same time, had no trouble getting a lane.

But, at port they took another security photo.  Also, as far as I could tell it made absolutely no difference which boarding lane you were in pre-cruise.  We never saw any times or lines or any notice of green, blue, etc. lanes.  We are Platinum, so supposedly had a 'faster' lane, but that seemed to make no difference either.

Also, my sister did not order her Medallion and was given one at check-in.  Took about 2 minutes.  

Of course this was on the Discovery inaugural, which had a very messed up boarding process, due to having to shuttle everyone from the check-in area to the actual ship.

I could not get my security or profile picture to load no matter what I did. Eventually I logged on to the online version of the medallion app and it worked first time. (I took the picture on my mobile and emailed it to myself so I coulsd save it on my main computer.)  

On 2/2/2022 at 9:51 AM, Alanr204 said:

It took numerous tries for me to upload my passport and I still can’t upload our profile pictures, I get a similar error message as you. Seems the Medallion app needs a lot of work. It’s not a good experience at all. 

Just add the passport information by keying it in.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:53 AM, mlgb said:

The ap does not like the default file name my phone gave it. I had to rename the file to an alpha only,  and then it uploaded. 

Could never get the selfie function to work.

Thank you!  By renaming and saving as a "profile picture" and by uploading from the website instead of the app, it finally worked for me (unlike the 5 emails to the "help" team).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having this same problem, and I finally found the fix for mine. It seems that my photo file was too large. Once I resized it down below about 500k, it worked fine in the app.

My guess is that the Medallion server is set to (probably a default) of 500k limit for uploaded files, which would mean it just errors for anything larger than that.

There seem to be multiple fixes depending on what phone and operating sytem you have. As a few others have said, don't stress too much, you are not alone.

Another thing to be aware of, is that your app may not work on board for ordering food delivered.  One of the issues is with an older phone with less than 4MB of RAM.  The help desk installed a "lighter" version which still didn't really work for me. Super annoying.

Edited by mlgb

Good news for everyone struggling with the Medallion App. You can now update your info on the Princess.com web page. Go to your trip summary and you will see the following option, "Try our web version". I did everything in my browser. Saved my photo to my drive and uploaded it into the web page.

I did struggle to sign on using my login and password but there is an option in the bottom to sign in with name, birthdate and cruise number. That got me in immediately.

Eric

Medallion APP.jpg

• 8 months later...

I tried everything to get my security photo to be accepted: resets, reinstalls, reboots, different lighting, etc. There was never an error message but the photo wouldn't save. Finally, I resized the photo smaller and smaller and smaller until suddenly it worked! It is now 60.4 kB. Anything bigger didn't work. Now I'm going in the Green Lane, whatever that is. YMMV.

I hope they improve the app soon. It is very badly coded.