Anything good to do just outside of Carnival and RCI port?

GateGuardian

I'm sailing on Caribbean Princess and my friend is sailing on the Celebrity Edge. Is there anything good to do just outside the port? or should we just each take a taxi downtown and meet up there? I'm assuming we can't get into each of the cruise port area.

Are we even allowed to just walk out these days? I was on MSC in December and was okay to just walk out, but they did not allow when I was on the Odyssey in December. 

We each have drink package on the ship, so not looking for a resort day? Maybe just a bar or some shopping area to meet up for a few drinks.

5 hours ago, GateGuardian said:

I'm sailing on Caribbean Princess and my friend is sailing on the Celebrity Edge. Is there anything good to do just outside the port? or should we just each take a taxi downtown and meet up there? I'm assuming we can't get into each of the cruise port area.

Are we even allowed to just walk out these days? I was on MSC in December and was okay to just walk out, but they did not allow when I was on the Odyssey in December. 

We each have drink package on the ship, so not looking for a resort day? Maybe just a bar or some shopping area to meet up for a few drinks.

It has been reported that  you can go into the shopping area of Puerta Maya and I presume other cruisers can access Margaritaville at International although I am not sure how as they always check sea pass as you enter terminal.

Personally I would go off pier to Ernestos, or a little further to Tikila Beach bar which has loungers in downstairs location or tables and chairs upstairs. 

across from International there is Royal Village with some bars and restaurants if they have reopened - very quiet in June when we were there.

I was in Cozumel in January and you can definitely just walk around on your own. Anyone can access the RCL port area to visit Margaritaville. I have done this many times without issue  including this past October since sailing resumed.  I would assume then that RCL passengers would be able to access the Carnival port area also but since I sail Carnival can't say for certain.