Any concerns with the new level 4 travel restrictions by USA to Mexico?

Dvrgrl38

I just saw that the US has recently issued level 4 “do not travel” recommendations for Mexico.  I realize these are recommendations, not rules, but I was wondering if anyone cruising from US ports to Mexico had any concerns from this?

source:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/u-s-issues-level-4-do-not-travel-warning-for-mexico-and-14-other-countries/

I received the email Level 4 warning for Mexico and read it thoroughly.  They are basing their Level 4 on covid numbers and crime.  I am only re-thinking my Puerto Vallarta excursion because of crime/kidkannping issues in Sinaloa state.  US government authorities are only allowed to travel in Zone Dorado (Gold Zone) and Old Town and can only enter PV by sea or air.  So may change or cancel my current excursion.

3 hours ago, Dvrgrl38 said:

I just saw that the US has recently issued level 4 “do not travel” recommendations for Mexico.  I realize these are recommendations, not rules, but I was wondering if anyone cruising from US ports to Mexico had any concerns from this?

source:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/u-s-issues-level-4-do-not-travel-warning-for-mexico-and-14-other-countries/

One thing to consider is that by the same standards, the US has been at a Level 4 as well.  So I don't see much of a difference if I've been living in it for the last little while.  If you can't tell, I myself am not too worried about my cruise next month.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krazy Kat said:

I am only re-thinking my Puerto Vallarta excursion because of crime/kidkannping issues in Sinaloa state.  US government authorities are only allowed to travel in Zone Dorado (Gold Zone) and Old Town and can only enter PV by sea or air.  So may change or cancel my current excursion

Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco and not Sinaloa.  Mazatlan which is in Sinaloa is where the restrictions might be for government authorities. Regardless, I wouldn't worry in either place as a cruise passenger tourist.

BTW - one of the most violent and powerful cartels in Mexico was founded in Jalisco - Cartel de Jalisco Neuva Generacion.  The Sinaloa cartel is associated with "El Chapo."  

Just came back from a cruise on Navigator to the Mexican Riviera...couldn't have felt safer. Their taking really good precautions at all our ports....temps taken at some places...and offering you hand sanitizer most everywhere and inside anywhere masks are being worn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Just came back from a cruise on Navigator to the Mexican Riviera...couldn't have felt safer. Their taking really good precautions at all our ports....temps taken at some places...and offering you hand sanitizer most everywhere and inside anywhere masks are being worn.

Thanks for the info!  I’m not really too worried about getting Covid (we are healthy, young, vaccinated and boosted).  I was wondering if we would notice anything different at the ports.

4 hours ago, Dvrgrl38 said:

Thanks for the info!  I’m not really too worried about getting Covid (we are healthy, young, vaccinated and boosted).  I was wondering if we would notice anything different at the ports.

I can only speak to Puerto Vallarta (where we are living at the moment).  Assuming your cruise is allowed to dock and passengers are allowed off the ship, much of life here is quite normal.  There is a mask mandate when you enter shops/restaurants and you will see about half the folks even wearing masks when they walk around outdoors (nobody is enforcing any outdoor mask mandate).  Bars, restaurants, shops, art galleries, etc. are all operating on a relatively normal basis.   We have been here since New Years and are living our normal winter life which includes dining out on a daily basis, lazy days at beach, etc.  

Some might ask, is COVID here?  And the answer would be yes.  But most here accept it as part of life and do their usual things.  While DW and I might avoid a packed bar/club we do still go out to various bars to enjoy nightly music/entertainment.   That being said there are certainly good reasons to spend more time outdoors and avoid getting into crowded indoor environments.  I call that common sense :).

Hank

P.S.  Watched the beautiful Ruby Princess enter and depart from our port today.  We did notice some "cruise people" walking on the Malecon near our condo and we like seeing the return of cruise ships after last winter when the cruise industry was shut down.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kat said:

You are correct - I misspoke (miswrote?!).

No worries.  My actual main point in responding is that you don't have to worry about being the victim of crime as a daytime cruise visitor in any of these ports.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I can only speak to Puerto Vallarta (where we are living at the moment).  Assuming your cruise is allowed to dock and passengers are allowed off the ship, much of life here is quite normal.  There is a mask mandate when you enter shops/restaurants and you will see about half the folks even wearing masks when they walk around outdoors (nobody is enforcing any outdoor mask mandate).  Bars, restaurants, shops, art galleries, etc. are all operating on a relatively normal basis.   We have been here since New Years and are living our normal winter life which includes dining out on a daily basis, lazy days at beach, etc.  

Some might ask, is COVID here?  And the answer would be yes.  But most here accept it as part of life and do their usual things.  While DW and I might avoid a packed bar/club we do still go out to various bars to enjoy nightly music/entertainment.   That being said there are certainly good reasons to spend more time outdoors and avoid getting into crowded indoor environments.  I call that common sense :).

Hank

P.S.  Watched the beautiful Ruby Princess enter and depart from our port today.  We did notice some "cruise people" walking on the Malecon near our condo and we like seeing the return of cruise ships after last winter when the cruise industry was shut down.

We walked the Malecon during our port stop Jan 21st onboard Navigator. It was a beautiful day. Enjoyed some shopping, having a drink and some great nachos at one of the outdoor cafe's...the one across from where the (sand) guy sit's playing chess.