NAAT test accepted as "PCR" for unvaccinated children?

Walgreen's has recently added an ID Now/NAAT test(results within a few hours).

Anyone happen to know if this accepted for unvaccinated children?

The 3 day wait for a CVS PCR has me concerned about getting our results in time for our 4y/o

1 minute ago, Motor City said:

Walgreen's has recently added an ID Now/NAAT test(results within a few hours).

Anyone happen to know if this accepted for unvaccinated children?

The 3 day wait for a CVS PCR has me concerned about getting our results in time for our 4y/o

I would also call  RC and ask the same question. 

Even as a vaccinated adult, I am concerned taking the PCR test 2 days before the cruise and getting results back in time.  I am also concerned that the  ID Now/NAAT test will not be accepted because the requirement is for a PCR or antigen test.  CVS offers the rapid antigen test as well as the PCR, but Walgreens seems to be difficult to get the antigen test.  They have plenty of PCR and ID Now/NAAT in my area.  

I would call, and trust but verify the answer you get.  

1 minute ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Accorind to RCI's website, the NAAT counts as a PCR test.  It reads:

• A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”

From this page: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Yeah, I read that as a "YES"

Just looking for clarification from anyone that may have used a NAAT test as their PCR for an unvaccinated child.

If ID NOW or NAAT is accepted, this would be a "game changer" for parents traveling with kids, since waiting on a "standard" PCR can sometimes take longer then people can wait. Speeds thing up.

• Like 1

Confirmed with RCI customer service that the ID NOW test is accepted for unvaccinated children.

This gives me a little relief that we won't be waiting for 2-3 days for results, AND already be in Florida. We'll actually have our results BEFORE we get on a flight

So, we'll get the CVS Rapid Antigen for vaccinated(and boosted) adults

(results within a few hours)

The Walgreen's ID NOW(NAAT) for unvaccinated children

(results within a few hours)

Edited by Motor City
  • Like 2

I know I was looking at a place for my sister today, and they are stating they do a PCR test either same day or next day.  The website also states they can do a PCR with results in 3 hours.  She was rather panicky of doing a test on a Thursday and not getting the results on time.  

We had NAAT tests for adults because that is all that is available where we live.  The paperwork said PCR/NAAT test.  When we boarded 2 different RC reps. said we didn't need the PCR test because we are vaccinated and an antigen test was fine.  We explained the PCR/NAAT test was all that was available and they both said the PCR/NAAT test was preferred over the antigen but not necessary.  We got our results in 6 hours. 

15 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

We had NAAT tests for adults because that is all that is available where we live.  The paperwork said PCR/NAAT test.  When we boarded 2 different RC reps. said we didn't need the PCR test because we are vaccinated and an antigen test was fine.  We explained the PCR/NAAT test was all that was available and they both said the PCR/NAAT test was preferred over the antigen but not necessary.  We got our results in 6 hours. 

That is interesting.  Our ID Now test results from Walgreens  definitely did not include the letters pcr.  None of the reps batted an eye at the test type.  

Here is how the relevant part if our reports read (copied and pasted from actual report):

Test Ordered
 Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT)
Tested for 
   SARS-CoV-2

Result
Negative

Edited by Starry Eyes

I’d be also be very interested to know if the Walgreens ID Now test is accepted for unvaccinated kids.  I’ve always assumed it was not and figured we’d have to pay at least $150 for a rapid PCR test for our young kids before our next cruise.  But I agree that the verbiage on the website sure makes it sounds like it’s acceptable.  

1 hour ago, Grankm21 said:

I’d be also be very interested to know if the Walgreens ID Now test is accepted for unvaccinated kids.  I’ve always assumed it was not and figured we’d have to pay at least $150 for a rapid PCR test for our young kids before our next cruise.  But I agree that the verbiage on the website sure makes it sounds like it’s acceptable.  

I spoke to RCI, they confirmed that this test IS accepted for unvaccinated children.