Upgrading EZ-Air tickets with points?

13cheermom

Does anyone know a work-around when trying to upgrade seats from EZ-Air using points from 2 different accounts.  For some reason since they are ticketed together, it's trying to use my points to upgrade my husbands seats as well.  It seems like it should take the points for the person sitting in the seat, lol.  The tickets are 36 days out and have been ticketed by airline.  Wondered if I try to call Delta if they could help separate it.  Anyone have this experience?  Thanks in advance!

The first question is...are those bulk tickets from the cruiseline even upgradable?  It completely depends on the fare rules of the ticket.

In addition, there may not be inventory in the upgrade bucket for those seats.  Just because they are available for sale does not mean that they can be obtained through an upgrade.  Two different sets of inventory.

Beyond that, you are likely to end up in a loop of DL telling you to work through the cruiseline and the cruiseline telling you to contact DL directly.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The first question is...are those bulk tickets from the cruiseline even upgradable?  It completely depends on the fare rules of the ticket.

In addition, there may not be inventory in the upgrade bucket for those seats.  Just because they are available for sale does not mean that they can be obtained through an upgrade.  Two different sets of inventory.

Beyond that, you are likely to end up in a loop of DL telling you to work through the cruiseline and the cruiseline telling you to contact DL directly.

Good luck.

Well I'm assuming they are upgradeable, it gives me the option to upgrade, select option of money or points, and allows me to select the seats.  However it wants to take all the points from my account only, and not touch my husbands points.  Unfortunately, we recently used some and neither of us have enough to upgrade for all 4 legs of trip.  Therefore I would have to pay for all legs with cash.  Seems like it would use each individuals points for their own tickets and seats.  Need to contact them about recently changing a flight time so guess I will just find out then.  Thanks anyway, I respect your expertise in these manners.

1 hour ago, 6rugrats said:

Have you tried splitting the reservation?  That way, you could use your points to upgrade yourself, if that’s possible to do with these tickets.

Well sort of, my husband tried doing upgrade on his account as well separately, wouldn't allow him either.  It's like the tickets are connected as one booking and needs to be upgraded in one transaction.        

But thanks for the suggestion!  At this point don't want to mess anything up with the tickets, we did get a great fare and now outrageous for same flight times.  Just thought we would upgrade if possible to comfort + if possible. 

10 hours ago, Free2bMeForever said:

You might want to price transferring points from your husbands account into yours (or vice versa).  It might not be cost effective, but is an option.

Yes  I did look into that, however for their transfer pricing and service fee, I might as well pay for the upgrade 🤣, it would be cheaper.  Do people actually do that, not very cost effective. But thanks for the suggestion.

5 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

Yes  I did look into that, however for their transfer pricing and service fee, I might as well pay for the upgrade 🤣, it would be cheaper.  Do people actually do that, not very cost effective. But thanks for the suggestion.

I actually have done it once when we only needed a few more points for 5 round trip tickets for a family trip. You’re right about the cost, but it was cheaper and more convenient than using points for 4 and buying 1. Had we split the group, we would have paid more in luggage fees than the transfer cost😉