Which La Quinta in Galveston?

nlktx49

Decided to drive to Galveston the day before our Monday, Feb. 14 cruise. Someone said they stay overnight at La Quinta on Seawall. Prices are good, booked a room. Should have looked at reviews, mostly bad, place isn't clean, bugs, etc. There is another La Quinta on 63rd - relatively new, good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with either one? I'd love to stay at the Galvez but that's not in my budget!

A little over 2 years ago, we stayed at a LaQuinta on the Seawall. It was January 2020, there was a cold front, and it was crowded, especially at breakfast. But it was free, using my Wyndham Reward points. I don't recall bugs or it being dirty, just the crowds. 

Last summer, when cruising restarted, we booked a stay at the Baymont Inn by Wyndham, which is next to the other LaQuinta, on 63rd. We never went inside that LaQuinta, but it looked fine. Since then, we have stayed at the same Baymont 2-3 more times. The area has some food outlets nearby, including a Jimmy John's (subs) at a corner of the LaQuinta - the tuna subs there were yummy, lol. Behind the Baymont, there are a couple of shopping centers. We walked across the street to Randall's (a grocery chain store) and also picked up pizza from the Domino's in the same shopping center. There's also a Schlotzky's next door to the Domino's. Oh, and in front of the Baymont, you can't miss the Golden Corral, it basically blocks most of the view of the sea from the Baymont unless you are on an upper-level floor.

We stayed at the Baymont mainly because 1. we could use our Wyndham reward points there to book a room and 2. at the time, they allowed free cruise parking for up to 7 nights. I just called them a few days ago, however, and they no longer offer the free cruise parking.  Oh well. I guess we'll be driving straight through to the Port on cruise day - we live about 4 1/2 hours from Galveston.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sushitex said:

A little over 2 years ago, we stayed at a LaQuinta on the Seawall. It was January 2020, there was a cold front, and it was crowded, especially at breakfast. But it was free, using my Wyndham Reward points. I don't recall bugs or it being dirty, just the crowds. 

Last summer, when cruising restarted, we booked a stay at the Baymont Inn by Wyndham, which is next to the other LaQuinta, on 63rd. We never went inside that LaQuinta, but it looked fine. Since then, we have stayed at the same Baymont 2-3 more times. The area has some food outlets nearby, including a Jimmy John's (subs) at a corner of the LaQuinta - the tuna subs there were yummy, lol. Behind the Baymont, there are a couple of shopping centers. We walked across the street to Randall's (a grocery chain store) and also picked up pizza from the Domino's in the same shopping center. There's also a Schlotzky's next door to the Domino's. Oh, and in front of the Baymont, you can't miss the Golden Corral, it basically blocks most of the view of the sea from the Baymont unless you are on an upper-level floor.

We stayed at the Baymont mainly because 1. we could use our Wyndham reward points there to book a room and 2. at the time, they allowed free cruise parking for up to 7 nights. I just called them a few days ago, however, and they no longer offer the free cruise parking.  Oh well. I guess we'll be driving straight through to the Port on cruise day - we live about 4 1/2 hours from Galveston.

Thanks very much for the info. Looked up the Baymont, looks nice, and about $20 less than the La Quinta. Also appreciate the info about what's around there. Looked at Google Maps trying to see what's close, but none of this info popped, maybe businesses have to pay to be put on map. 

We'll see how this goes, we may end up staying overnight before cruises in the future. Sure would cut down on worrying about getting to Galveston on time depending on weather and traffic.

Didn't realize it's a 4 1/2 drive from Corpus to Galveston!! They look so close on the map!😄

2 hours ago, sushitex said:

... Of course, that factors in our required stop at Buc-ee's or Whataburger...

Amen on the "required"!!!! You are "preaching to the choir" for sure!!!