Tipping now more important than ever

glojo

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Complain to the establishment. The bad waiters won't remain waiters for long, if bad service continues the establishment won't be in business for long.

By your argument, as an example, the US would have a far higher standard of customer service than the UK. Not so. The same or worse. 

Sorry to disagree with you, but in my experience restaurant waiters in the US are significantly better informed, more interested in providing good service, and generally more competent than those in continental Europe -- and far more so than what is experienced in the UK.

Yes, I could "complain to the establishment" -- but why not cut out the middleman by reducing the compensation for service found to be unsatisfactory?  

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Outside the US, tipping is not usually required for this service, proving that tipping is not necessary to make it happen 

I like to tip show express of appreciation, no matter what country I am in

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

That approach would result in a decrease in take home pay.   Many restauranteurs indicate menu prices would need to increase at least 30% to keep staff whole.   

The thing is, we feel no stress following our tipping custom.   I would not presume to ask a country to change their custom because I am uncomfortable or don't agree with it.    

No, me neither.  I tip when I am in the US.  Similarly, don't try to export the custom to other countries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And zero opportunity to give thoughtful, helpful waiters more compensation than lazy,  careless, or discourteous ones.  

As the owner of a very successful restaurant, why would I employ lazy, careless or discourteous waiters.  Answer, I don't.  Nor would I expect my customers to pay the "good" ones more.  They are all of the same standard.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

So you are suggesting that I am not well travelled purely on the basis that I have not been on a cruise, or on an organised tour prior to 10 years ago? Surely that fact that people will not know about something they are not looking for is reasonable. I have never been skiing, and other than knowing that you fasten a couple of lumps of wood to your feet, I know nothing about the features of a skiing holiday, and why would I? I don't need to know so I have never looked into it. It's the same with cruises.

I cannot find any data on how long auto tipping has been in operation, but I suspect that it is relatively modern, when operators realised that it could be used to pretend the holiday was cheaper than it really is. Maybe somebody knows the answer?

You've never been on a cruise, yet you judge how others do what they do.  Dude, you need a life, so sad

Just now, LGW59 said:

what are you saying???

As a NZer, in a country where the minimum wage is about to go up to $21.50 an hour, please don't introduce tipping into the equation.  The prices on our menus include service (and sales tax come to that).  Also, when I go to a country like Vietnam which does not have a tipping culture - don't tip.  Because the next white person who comes along will be expected to start handing out cash too in US dollars no less.  I don't even earn US dollars.  But if I'm in the US I'll tip.  I just wish I could do it at the start of the meal.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

As a NZer, in a country where the minimum wage is about to go up to $21.50 an hour, please don't introduce tipping into the equation.  The prices on our menus include service (and sales tax come to that).  Also, when I go to a country like Vietnam which does not have a tipping culture - don't tip.  Because the next white person who comes along will be expected to start handing out cash too in US dollars no less.  I don't even earn US dollars.  But if I'm in the US I'll tip.  I just wish I could do it at the start of the meal.

Please note, this is a tipping thread, note the title.  Earning US dollars or any other is what this is about, tipping has already been introduced. I still tip everywhere, but that is just me. 

Edited by LGW59

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you claiming that ALL of your staff provide EXACTLY equal quality service?   

Extraordinary!

Of course they do.  We have very high standards of service.  If they don't chin the bar they don't stay.  Why would we employ people who were unwilling to meet our standards.  Conversely, why should some of them get more money than others because they are prettier or blonder or accept poorer behaviour from customers or whatever.  They deserve respect for what they do

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I can understand someone unfamiliar with the tipping custom at our restnt's would be confused or uncomfortable.   I think I can help.  Don't overthink it.  Just add the 15% to 20% to the total on the tab.  The difference it makes including vs excluding tax is of no consequence.  

It is easy for you to say don't overthink it because you are not a tourist so you are well accustomed to your culture. As a tourist I'm trying to "fit in" and it does make it much more confusing when the locals can't agree😂

7 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I have not made this up. If you are from the US, is is fair to assume that you will be familiar with the concept of gratuities, be they automatic add-ons or discretionary. For people in other countries who are not used to such practices, how are they going to know that this practice occurs? Not everyone reads the fine print, even more so when they are not looking for something in the first place. The glossy brochures don't exactly make an effort to shout it from the rooftops. My coach tour didn't mention it so why would a cruise be any different?

If you are travelling anywhere in what ever way you really should be doing your research into that destination. With the internet now it is almost inexcusable to not know standard practices of a country. No one should assume when they travel to another country that things are done the same way. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry to disagree with you, but in my experience restaurant waiters in the US are significantly better informed, more interested in providing good service, and generally more competent than those in continental Europe -- and far more so than what is experienced in the UK.

Yes, I could "complain to the establishment" -- but why not cut out the middleman by reducing the compensation for service found to be unsatisfactory?  

My experience is completely different. The service I have gotten in Australia, USA, Europe, Asia, Central America and around the Pacific have been pretty much comparable. I have not received service in the USA that was any better than anywhere else in the world I have been.

And personally I think informing an employer of a badly performing employee is much more useful than tipping. That employee could perform badly for a long time before the employer notices because no is telling the employer that this employee is no good. Tipping is a private transaction that gives no indication to the employer if the employee is doing well or not unless the employees are all sitting down and comparing tips every night. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

36 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I like to tip show express of appreciation, no matter what country I am in

You might be surprised how many countries hate you tipping and don't find it appreciative at all. It can be very destructive to locals as they can be discriminated against and passed over in favour of tourists. If you really appreciate a service why don't you show that appreciation in the custom that locals would show their appreciation? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You might be surprised how many countries hate you tipping and don't find it appreciative at all. It can be very destructive to locals as they can be discriminated against and passed over in favour of tourists. If you really appreciate a service why don't you show that appreciation in the custom that locals would show their appreciation? 

Well thus far, in Italy, France, Amsterdam, Ireland, UK, Canada, Mexico, zero resistance to my tipping, quite the contrary.  The only non-surprise has been their saying thank you, much appreciated, in each and every country.  Never experienced any "hate" not once. 

Edited by LGW59

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Well thus far, in Italy, France, Amsterdam, Ireland, UK, Canada, Mexico, zero resistance to my tipping, quite the contrary.  The only surprise has been their saying thank you, much appreciated, in each and every country.  Never experienced any "hate" not once. 

I tip when I'm in the US.  Please don't tip in my country.  Respect the customs of the countries you visit. Don't try to impose your own.

2 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I tip when I'm in the US.  Please don't tip in my country.  Respect the customs of the countries you visit. Don't try to impose your own.

I've got a cruise in NZ in 2023, I will be tipping

Just now, LGW59 said:

Well thus far, in Italy, France, Amsterdam, Ireland, UK, Canada, Mexico, zero resistance to my tipping, quite the contrary.  The only surprise has been their saying thank you, much appreciated, in each and every country.  Never experienced any "hate" not once. 

You missed the point it is not about the servers themselves. Of course they will take the money but it is the broader impact on the society around. For example in Kenya locals will literally not be able to book into a Safari tour because the guides only want tipping tourists. In Mexico locals struggle to get into restaurants in tourist places because again they only want tourists. As a tourist you should be thinking about the impact you have in places you visit. The most positive thing you can do is emulate locals. It is not your place to change their culture. 

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I've got a cruise in NZ in 2023, I will be tipping

Why are you resistant to acting like a local? Does tipping make you feel better about yourself or give you some thrill? Do you think your culture is superior to everyone? 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

You missed the point it is not about the servers themselves. Of course they will take the money but it is the broader impact on the society around. For example in Kenya locals will literally not be able to book into a Safari tour because the guides only want tipping tourists. In Mexico locals struggle to get into restaurants in tourist places because again they only want tourists. As a tourist you should be thinking about the impact you have in places you visit. The most positive thing you can do is emulate locals. It is not your place to change their culture. 

I will be on a land vacation in Mexico, in April for two weeks, all inclusive, I will be tipping.  I am certain they will be happy with the tips.  Not trying to change their culture, just showing my appreciation for what they do. Go find a real problem already. 

Edited by LGW59

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Why are you resistant to acting like a local? Does tipping make you feel better about yourself or give you some thrill? Do you think your culture is superior to everyone? 

yes

17 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I will be on a land vacation in Mexico, in April for two weeks, all inclusive, I will be tipping.  I am certain they will be happy with the tips.  Not trying to change their culture, just showing my appreciation for what they do. Go find a real problem already. 

Here in Australia if someone has gone above and beyond what they need to do not for regular service I tip and tell them why. Unfortunately more recently we see more expectation that tipping be the norm especially in high tourism areas. This is because of tourists who choose to ignore the normal tipping culture of the places they visit. This makes it annoying and frustrating for the locals who live there...but you do you. And please don't complain how expensive Australia is after you visit because we prefer to have people have a living wage and social benefits.

Edited by frantic36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You complained about other posters not wanting to tip in USA so I would say hypocrisy is a real problem😂 and if your form of appreciation is causing harm to society and changing their culture for the worst then again it is a real problem. As you have answered yes to my previous questions you obviously don't care about the places you travel to and are only in interested in self gratification. It is a pity as the world could do with less ugly tourists😔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1