Crown Princess - Which guarantee?

Paulras

We're booked on the Crown Princess for September 12 in an Oceanview Guarantee. Never did a guarantee before, but thought it might be worth a try. The Crown (like the Caribbean Princess) doesn't have many outside cabins but it has an enormous number of balcony cabins. I thought there might be a good chance that the Outside guarantee may lead to an upgrade to a balcony - or at least a better chance than on other ships. Seems logical to me.

But now price dropped for that cruise and upgrading to a balcony guarantee would only be an extra $250 more than we were paying. So now I'm wondering if that may be a better idea or if we should just leave the oceanview guarantee alone and keep our fingers crossed.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with guarantees on a ship like this where most of the outside cabins have a balcony?

You are never assured of an upgrade to the next higher configuration, so if that's what you'd like and the price is good, I suggest the "self-upgrade" to a balcony. You'll avoid any sense of disappointment or regret that way. No one really knows how the upgrade system works. In fact, I think there is no rhyme or reason so trying to outguess the Upgrade Fairy isn't a good bet in my book.

I would pay the money if I wanted a balcony. New ships tend to sail full or almost full so the "upgrade fairy" may not have much wiggle room. I tend to get obstructed view rooms and have never been given an upgrade out of that category - I've had upgrades to a higher level obstructed view. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great cruise.

Paulras - come join our roll call for that cruise on this board! :)

We've booked balcony because we're not digging the locale of those oceanview cabins (as you note, they seem to be offering only a few). When we priced the cruise, the balcony was $250 more in total and worth it to us. It has to do with the quality of room and also its location on the ship for sleeping/getting around etc.

Our family of 5 booked two outside cabins over Xmas this year (Celebrity Constellation).

One was a guarantee, the other was not (because of 3 pax in a room).

The outside guarantee was visited by the upgrade fairy and became a balcony cabin - but our other cabin of 3 pax was left outside (mine of course).

Being a Xmas cruise, the prices were quite higher in general - esp. for a balcony - it would have cost us $1500CAD/cabin to upgrade from outside to a balcony.

We have had balconies on our last 3 cruises and were wondering if we could ever go back to an outside - well we survived the cruise and just spent more time up on deck (the really big balcony above us).

We also visited our 2nd cabin (with the balcony - enviously) quite a bit.

It came down to a financial decision. A balcony is great to have but everyone has a price limit. (our next cruise - July/06 - balcony guarantee booked) :-)

We still had a great time on the cruise and enjoyed spending what we had saved on tours and fun.

Graham

Still haven't heard back from the TA yet about the actual pricing and upgrade. But technically, even though the balcony will be about $250 more than what we're paying now, it's really about $350 more than what we will be paying if they credit us for the price reduction on the oceanview.

I'm not all that gung-ho about having a balcony since I've read that many aren't very private from the deck above and you can't fit loungers. It would just be a place to stretch out and get some air.

But I have always wanted to book a guarantee to see if we get pleasantly surprised - like gambling. Every other cruise has been an assigned cabin (usually balcony or suite). I thought we could try winging things on this cruise - no assigned cabin, no traditional dinner. Whatever happens, happens. Last cruise was on the QM2 which didn't live up to all the hype. That was disappointing, so I wanted to try things out with zero expectations.

Archived