Sailing after recovering from COVID question

macfam5

I was wondering what is NCL’s policy for those passengers who have recovered recently from Covid?
Since you can test positive up to 90 days after a positive result, you may have a positive test 48 hours prior to sailing. 

What proof needs to be shown to say you are safe to travel?
If anyone has experience with this I would love to know the answer. Or please post the link to read

38 minutes ago, FlGoodShips said:

You HAVE to test negative at port or you will not be allowed to board.

^^^^ This.  As of now, NCL had decided not to navigate the waters of accepting proof of covid recovery as a substitute for a negative test prior to boarding. There is no real standard for that proof yet.  They aren't going to read letters from doctors and try and determine if your doctor is legit or not.   You will need to test negative unless they decide to change their criteria at some point.

That being said..  I'm just coming over COVID myself and based on everything I'm reading on CDC and what I've been told by my doctor, an Antigen test (which is given at the port) will test positive only for "live" virus.   In theory, even if you had COVID, this should be negative usually within 10 days of your initial positive infection.   A PCR test is much more sensitive and can show positive for "Dead" virus in your system for weeks if not months after your initial infection.

So for those of us recovering (or recovered) from COVID, we SHOULD be fine at the port with the antigen test

Edited by dwp1127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Disney cruises just went to a "Recently recovered from Covid" Policy... They PCR test though

• Guests Recently Recovered from COVID-19: In some cases, people who have recently recovered from COVID-19 may still test positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. If Guests have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 within 11 to 90 days of their sail date, they may qualify to be considered as “90-Day-Recovered.” With the appropriate documentation and subsequent approval, Guests considered “90-Day-Recovered” are not required to participate in COVID-19 testing during the Pre-Sail, Embarkation or Disembarkation phases of their voyage. For details on what documentation is required, please visit Before Leaving Home: Know Before You Go.

I imagine other lines will follow.

1 hour ago, macfam5 said:

I was wondering what is NCL’s policy for those passengers who have recovered recently from Covid?
Since you can test positive up to 90 days after a positive result, you may have a positive test 48 hours prior to sailing. 

What proof needs to be shown to say you are safe to travel?
If anyone has experience with this I would love to know the answer. Or please post the link to read

It's extremely unlikely that someone would test positive on a rapid Antigen test (after recovering). PCR is where you can test positive up to 90 days. NCL does rapid Antigen tests first.

It's very important to do your own test before leaving for the port (eg the day before you drive or fly in), this will give you peace of mind that you will likely test negative at the port. And that way you receive a refund if you test positive during embarkation. NCL will provide refunds to anyone who tests positive at the port, as long as they have a negative test from 1 or 2 days before.

44 minutes ago, dwp1127 said:

So for those of us recovering (or recovered) from COVID, we SHOULD be fine at the port with the antigen test

Regardless of the current NCL policy about assisting with accommodations if you pre-test, I'd do it anyway.  If nothing else, get some self-administered antigen tests and see if you test negative.  You won't need to worry about PCR at the pier unless you've flunked the antigen test.

Just now, phillygwm said:

Regardless of the current NCL policy about assisting with accommodations if you pre-test, I'd do it anyway.  If nothing else, get some self-administered antigen tests and see if you test negative.  You won't need to worry about PCR at the pier unless you've flunked the antigen test.

Yeah having that peace of mind will help a lot. 

13 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

And that way you receive a refund if you test positive during embarkation. NCL will provide refunds to anyone who tests positive at the port, as long as they have a negative test from 1 or 2 days before.

Not quite. They will help with the costs associated with quarantining if you tested negative from home. The refund is regardless.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

^^^^ This.  As of now, NCL had decided not to navigate the waters of accepting proof of covid recovery as a substitute for a negative test prior to boarding. There is no real standard for that proof yet.  They aren't going to read letters from doctors and try and determine if your doctor is legit or not.   You will need to test negative unless they decide to change their criteria at some point.

There is a standard used by schools in the US, a positive Covid test within 90 days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

There is a standard used by schools in the US, a positive Covid test within 90 days.

Yes, but schools have to be more accommodating than cruise lines.  Missing in-person school for days or weeks because you keep testing positive would likely be more consequential than missing a cruise.  Although some on here might disagree!  😉