Costa Maya or Cozumel for ruins?

richbum

Probably Cozumel, but it depends somewhat on how long you will be in each port and what excursions are being offered via the cruise line.  I have been to Chichen Itza from Cozumel and Chacchoben from Costa Maya. Tulum is also very accessible from Cozumel, but I have never been there. Xel Ha is also accessible from Cozumel.

Chichen Itza is definitely the most impressive, but it is a very long trip.  You have to be willing to take the long bus ride and unless you were staying overnight in Cozumel, don't even think about anything but a cruise line excursion.  If the ship is not in Cozumel for at least 12 hours, the cruise line will probably not offer Chichen Itza.

Chacchoben is a much shorter trip from Costa Maya and is pretty much in the jungle.  I enjoyed it as my first Mayan ruins trip, but it does not compare to Chichen Itza.  

From speaking with others, Chacchoben and Tulum are a toss up, but they are very different.  Tulum is smaller and right on the Carribbean. It is a little over an hour ride from Playa del Carmen, where the Cozumel ferry docks.

A google search will find you lots more details and pictures.

• Like 1

If he has never been to any of the ruins before, Chacchoben ruins from Costa Maya is definitely the way to go. It is an easy trip that doesn't take all day and has many of the features that the larger ruins have and makes an entertaining excursion. 

If this leaves you wanting to visit even larger ruins much further away and you are willing to spend 8 hours traveling back and forth to them in the future you may then decide on the much longer routes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 12:09 PM, inlinesick said:

So better costa maya to visit ruins and cozumel for water activities?

Cozumel will have nicer/clearer water, good snorkeling and many more water toy options compared to Costa Maya.

I gave my opinion earlier on the ruins. I don't disagree with anyone recommending Chacchoben from Costa Maya.  While it may not be quite as impressive as Chichen Itza, it is a much shorter and easier trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you were going to see Chichen Itza,  I would suggest booking a cruise that goes to Progresso.  Cozumel has a ruin on it, but no decent excursions to go there.  The Mayan women would travel to Cozumel and pay homage to the goddess of fertility. Cozumel isn't so much beachy, but it does offer great snorkeling.  Seeing RUINS from there require either a plane trip or taking the ferry over to the mainland, and then bussing it to the ruins.  

BTW, to me, the best Mayan ruins to see in Mexico that are offered by cruise lines is Uxmal. Again out of Progresso.

We are doing ruins on our next trip to Costa Maya.  Our last time there we just spent in port.  While it's nice to get off the ship and have access to a huge pool,  that really isn't the way to see a country.  And this time that is what we will be doing.

Cruise happy!

• Like 3

On 2/21/2022 at 12:41 PM, Jersey42 said:

Cozumel will have nicer/clearer water, good snorkeling and many more water toy options compared to Costa Maya.

I gave my opinion earlier on the ruins. I don't disagree with anyone recommending Chacchoben from Costa Maya.  While it may not be quite as impressive as Chichen Itza, it is a much shorter and easier trip.

Its our first time there! Cozumel already has been decided, catamaran, snorkel and beach! But still deciding wether or not, we are doing the ruins at costa maya!