Unvaccinated Children Now Allowed Without Mask

dogg1322

While it is not super obvious from the new updates, I just spoke to an NCL representative and she confirmed that children under 4 are now allowed to sail and do not have to wear a mask.  Obviously, I understand masking for a young child is near impossible and unsafe for the very young.

So there goes the whole "100% vaccinated" cruise marketing plan that NCL has had from the beginning (and the reason many of us chose to sail NCL).  This just seems to really increase the risk of spread. As I have said on previous messages, I'm less concerned about getting COVID than I am about getting quarantined on the boat...

She did say you can express your displeasure with this change here:

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

• Like 3

They still need to test negative to cruise. I doubt there will be many children under 5 on the March cruises as parents can rarely drop everything and travel on such short notice. The scientists who work for Norwegian are pretty good and I’m sure that the Omicron data coming out now is optimistic. I’m a complete data nerd who has been watching the case counts, and cases are plummeting worldwide. There is a tiny bit of light at the end of the pandemic tunnel.

• Like 4

The way I see this whole thing is it’s a personal choice. People are still free to mask up on a mask optional cruise. Mask efficacy for Omicron is debatable, based on scientific data, and Honeywell N95, KN95, and KF94 masks are readily available now for more vulnerable people who want to cruise. Adults and teens can boost now for added protection. Children under 5 will make up a very small percentage of travelers for the next few months, and they are likely to have little to no impact on a COVID outbreak on board a ship from this point in the pandemic forward, statistically speaking.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JustSomeLady said:

They still need to test negative to cruise. I doubt there will be many children under 5 on the March cruises as parents can rarely drop everything and travel on such short notice. The scientists who work for Norwegian are pretty good and I’m sure that the Omicron data coming out now is optimistic. I’m a complete data nerd who has been watching the case counts, and cases are plummeting worldwide. There is a tiny bit of light at the end of the pandemic tunnel.

March is Spring Break month for many schools in the US all the way through the week up to Easter.

• Like 2