World wine tour versus Food and wine pairing? (Reflection 9/26/22)

zitsky

4 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off a 10 night on the Equinox this past Thursday  and did not see the World wine tour offered or just was not looking for it.

It's one of the functions of your sommelier to apprise you of all of the wine events during your cruise.  They get the spiff for signing you up for them, too.

Easy to miss the WWT in the daily.

33 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off a 10 night on the Equinox this past Thursday  and did not see the World wine tour offered or just was not looking for it.  Judging from the wines they had  onboard I don't think they are offering any great quality wines.  I did notice their cabernet on the basic package was MK Mondavi which they were also giving out during the HH.  

I signed up on the Beyond May 2023 so they are still doing it.  I did it about 3 years ago.  It’s fun if you don’t take yourself too seriously.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I signed up on the Beyond May 2023 so they are still doing it.  I did it about 3 years ago.  It’s fun if you don’t take yourself too seriously.

What they did offer and I absolutely loved the concept was a mixology class held in the Sky lounge on the Equinox. It was a trial and our sailing and ship  was the first in the fleet to offer it. The house band played and an excellent  bartender made and  presented three drinks a Manhattan  a spiced Pimms and a Mai Tai. Then all three were made by the bartenders and  served to the guests in attendance which I believe were Elite,  Elite Plus and Zenith.  Unfortunately it was after 10 pm and as I had an early morning excursion did not want to consume too much alcohol but it was a big hit.  Not sure if there will be a charge for future sailings.  

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I just got off a 10 night on the Equinox this past Thursday  and did not see the World wine tour offered or just was not looking for it. 

It was not offered.  We asked.

Mixology offered on our next cruise (Reflection) as a pay-for-play activity.  Daughter and SIL signed up for it.  No schedule yet, but there's a lot of sea days ahead of us.

As for the WWT, they typically set up 4~6 stations with 4 wines each.  You wander around with your glass from one part if the 'world' to another, trying whatever you like.  Best to evaluate them all first, and sequence things to avoid quick palate burnout.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Mixology offered on our next cruise (Reflection) as a pay-for-play activity.  Daughter and SIL signed up for it.  No schedule yet, but there's a lot of sea days ahead of us.

As for the WWT, they typically set up 4~6 stations with 4 wines each.  You wander around with your glass from one part if the 'world' to another, trying whatever you like.  Best to evaluate them all first, and sequence things to avoid quick palate burnout.

I like the WWT, especially on a longer cruise because it gives you an early overview of what’s available on board. These are not great wines, barely OK wines, but I think there are severe supply chain issues and cost issues right now, which is affecting the regular wines more than the high end stuff.

The food and wine pairing is interesting if you have never done one. I’ve done it twice, and while the wines changed, the general setup and the food was the same. One sommelier was much clearer and more organized than the other. You might even want to take some notes, because you learn what NOT to drink with which food. 

I am currently on a 15 night cruise from San Diego through the Panama Canal to San Juan, PR. This is day 12. On day 5 I noticed and Oregon tasting. I am from Oregon and have been selling their wines retail for 35+ years. We had  Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, and 3 Pinot Noirs. All the wines were very good examples. We are on Millenium and Cellar Master person is Marren.  She has been great at finding wines. I hope they are doing Oregon tastings on other ships.

11 minutes ago, Atarangi957 said:

I am currently on a 15 night cruise from San Diego through the Panama Canal to San Juan, PR. This is day 12. On day 5 I noticed and Oregon tasting. I am from Oregon and have been selling their wines retail for 35+ years. We had  Pinot Gris, Chardonnay, and 3 Pinot Noirs. All the wines were very good examples. We are on Millenium and Cellar Master person is Marren.  She has been great at finding wines. I hope they are doing Oregon tastings on other ships.

I love Pinots from Oregon some of the best in the world 

1 hour ago, Atarangi957 said:

I don’t suppose you remember any?  I really like Samuel Robert Pinot from Amity, home of the Brigittine Monastery and excellent fudge.

we had Willakenzie PG 2018, Gran Moraine Chard 2018, Ponzi Classico 2015, Penner Ash PN Estate Vyd 2017, and Gran Moraine PN 2014. It was really nice to pour one with a little age to it. It was also much fun as I know all these people.

13 minutes ago, Atarangi957 said:

we had Willakenzie PG 2018, Gran Moraine Chard 2018, Ponzi Classico 2015, Penner Ash PN Estate Vyd 2017, and Gran Moraine PN 2014. It was really nice to pour one with a little age to it. It was also much fun as I know all these people.

Thank you.  Penner Ash is a name I have come across but have never tried.  I lived in Oregon only 2 years.  I went to Hillcrest in Rosenberg.  And various wineries in Eugene and McMinnville.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thank you.  Penner Ash is a name I have come across but have never tried.  I lived in Oregon only 2 years.  I went to Hillcrest in Rosenberg.  And various wineries in Eugene and McMinnville.

I haven't seen Penner Ash onboard since pre covid.  

5 hours ago, Atarangi957 said:

That sounds amazing.  That wasn't on our March 2022 cruise.  Maybe it will be next March!  And you're right, Marren is wonderful.  We can't wait to see her again next March!!