What should we see in Corcisa and how?

janetmojo

So I'm struggling a little bit with Ajaccio in June.  The ship excursions are mostly city/Napolean stuff which really doesn't interest us.  I was looking for maybe a boat trip or snorkel or something outdoorsy but there just isn't much on viator or the other shore excursion sites.  Any thoughts?  We also don't speak French 🙂  I've heard there is quite the language barrier there.

13 minutes ago, janetmojo said:

So I'm struggling a little bit with Ajaccio in June.  The ship excursions are mostly city/Napolean stuff which really doesn't interest us.  I was looking for maybe a boat trip or snorkel or something outdoorsy but there just isn't much on viator or the other shore excursion sites.  Any thoughts?  We also don't speak French 🙂  I've heard there is quite the language barrier there.

Outdoor Adrenaline Rush?
Game fishing (not “need a bigger boat) but good sport.  They have two tours 4 or 6 hours.

https://www.lescalepeche.com/

English is spoken, but not sure about American 😉

• Haha 1

We had no great interest in Napoleon either, but we did the HO bus tour, then strolled around the town  and had a lovely day expoloring what is actually an attractive coastal town.

More to your liking might be a walk to the Îles Sanguinaires a little outside of town.  The HOHo bus goes to Parata but only stops there for around 20 minutes so  an only view from a distance.

If you wanted to walk to the "islands" , you would need to take either a taxi, a rental car, or the public bus to Parata (closest parking and the terminus for the local bus.) and walk from there.  As we were on the HOHO with limited time we could not walk there, but there are lots of reviews and photos on Tripadvisor to help you decide.

You could also simply walk along the coastline from Parata.

Or walk along the coastal promenade and road around and out of Ajaccio.

There were public toilets at the Parata car/bus park .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 9:40 AM, edinburgher said:

We had no great interest in Napoleon either, but we did the HO bus tour, then strolled around the town  and had a lovely day expoloring what is actually an attractive coastal town.

More to your liking might be a walk to the Îles Sanguinaires a little outside of town.  The HOHo bus goes to Parata but only stops there for around 20 minutes so  an only view from a distance.

If you wanted to walk to the "islands" , you would need to take either a taxi, a rental car, or the public bus to Parata (closest parking and the terminus for the local bus.) and walk from there.  As we were on the HOHO with limited time we could not walk there, but there are lots of reviews and photos on Tripadvisor to help you decide.

You could also simply walk along the coastline from Parata.

Or walk along the coastal promenade and road around and out of Ajaccio.

There were public toilets at the Parata car/bus park .

Thanks so much for the detailed info, did you purchase your HOHO tickets ahead of time?  Thanks again for all the details, it looks like I don't need to book anything major to have a great day~

• Like 1

No we did not buy ahead of time. Paid on getting on the bus/train.

At that time, there were two tour options, one being one of those "little tourist trains" which tootles around.  The other was more of an actual bus.  There are pros and cons for both.  See their info on routes, tickets etc online, plus reviews.on eg tripadvisor.

At the time of our visit, both were only a couple of minutes walk to the left once you leave the terminal building.  The little train was on that road, the larger bus option was across the street from it in a little square outside a museum, but post pandemic who knows?

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

janetmojo, I must apologise as I remembered some hours after posting, that it was actually the bus which was on the main road, and the little train in the square opposite. I originally posted the opposite.  No matter as they were within steps of each other.

We could actually see the bus from the ship as we waited to be cleared to disembark.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling as well. The town looks small so I don't see the point of Ajaccio vision/hop on off bus if I can see all the main attraction in 2 hours of walking. However, we are interested in going to the Sanguinaires islands (the actual island-Mezu Mare) on the Sunday but there are very limited options that isn't beyond cruise time or is only in French. 

Is there a way to take a taxi and boat ferry/taxi to the area? Has anyone done it? Thanks!

Edited by bobamelonwei

the rometorio website should give you the different options. We find it very useful.

Some websites have a "translate this page" option or there is also Google Translate into which you can copy and paste from French to English.

I have had a quickish  look for you but didn't spend a whole lot of time on it so you should absolutely verify yourselves or contact the Ajaccio Tourist Office.

I THINK it still costs only 1 Euro pp each way on the bus and the bus number is #5. Frequency was shown as every 20 minutes and the ride is a little under 30 minutes each way.  I only found a timetable up until January THIS year so perhaps you need to check closer to your travel date by which time winter timetables may have changed to summer timetables when I assume (perhaps wrongly)  you will be there? Whatever, you MUST check yourselves and not take my word for it.

Both the Ajaccio vision bus tour and "le petit train d'ajaccio" (the little Ajaccio train) are inexpensive. Le petit train website has an english option. showing the routes, ticket prices etc.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, bobamelonwei said:

I'm struggling as well. The town looks small so I don't see the point of Ajaccio vision/hop on off bus if I can see all the main attraction in 2 hours of walking. However, we are interested in going to the Sanguinaires islands (the actual island-Mezu Mare) on the Sunday but there are very limited options that isn't beyond cruise time or is only in French. 

Is there a way to take a taxi and boat ferry/taxi to the area? Has anyone done it? Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, we too were interested in some kind of boat trip for the day but after trying to communicate with two different operators who only spoke French it seemed that we were better off leaving exploring by boat to another port. 

3 hours ago, janetmojo said:

Sorry for the late reply, we too were interested in some kind of boat trip for the day but after trying to communicate with two different operators who only spoke French it seemed that we were better off leaving exploring by boat to another port. 

Google Translate?  

Send - Type/Copy/Paste -

Reply - Copy/Paste/Read

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, janetmojo said:

Right but the tours are also all in French so...

Try

Select/Highlight wording from website, copy, paste into Google Translate.

Or

Computer may have translate this page etc option.

No doubt there are seriously techy members of CC who could give assistance.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Select

• 2 months later...

I hear what you say about the ho ho but the little train is really worth doing it goes down the coast past a fascinating cemetery (I know but it really is amazing) and ends in a lovely place where you can buy ice cream it’s a beautiful town I’m sure you will enjoy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any ideas or information for a visit in November?  We're stopping there on a TA from Rome and from what I've found, basically all tours, boats, little train, etc, stop running at the end of October.  I have looked at the Ajaccia tourism website.   Does anyone have a link to the public bus information?  Maybe we could take that down the coast.   

5 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Does anyone have any ideas or information for a visit in November?  We're stopping there on a TA from Rome and from what I've found, basically all tours, boats, little train, etc, stop running at the end of October.  I have looked at the Ajaccia tourism website.   Does anyone have a link to the public bus information?  Maybe we could take that down the coast.   

Try…

https://www.bonifacio.co.uk/organisme/ligne-de-bus-de-corse-sud/

For specific requirements contact them direct