Viking River Cruises hotels

islandwoman

Can someone please tell me which hotel Viking uses in Budapest?

Which hotel Viking uses in Bucharest?

How far in advance of sailing does Viking usually give this information to passengers?

We are making our own travel arrangements.  I'm beginning to think that unless you book everything - air, transfers, hotels, pre and post cruise packages - through Viking, that they never give you any information. 

@islandwoman, are you just looking for a hotel to stay in or have your booked the extended stay with Viking?  They will usually let you know a couple of months ahead of sailing as to which hotel you will be in if you are in their pre/post cruise.  Most lines have 4-5 hotels that they put you up in in order to accommodate all the cruisers. 

Sorry, but just trying to clarify what you are looking for as if you aren't booking the pre/post stays, they won't give you that information.

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

@islandwoman, are you just looking for a hotel to stay in or have your booked the extended stay with Viking?

Our cruise is Budapest to Bucharest.  If I'm reading the Viking calendar correctly, the first two nights of the "cruise" are in a hotel in Budapest.  The last night is in a hotel in Bucharest.

We are not booking the extended stay with Viking. We are planning transportation to Budapest and would like to know where we're going.

We also want to spend one additional night in Bucharest and would like to book it in the same hotel where we'll be staying with Viking.

Ok, now I understand.  Since they probably have a couple of hotels they use, you may have to wait until closer to the date to find the exact one.  Do you have a TA?  They may be able to help narrow it down.  Are you flying into Budapest?  You can get a taxi at the airport (I hear you have to be careful to get one from inside the airport at the stand to get a "legit" one, not one of the ones stationed outside, but just going from another online site for that info) to whatever hotel, or from a train station.  

If you don't have a TA, possibly calling Viking to see if they can give you any further info (if it's not listed in your My Viking Journey) closer to the date (2 months prior to sailing or earlier if you see other info showing).

Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how much this will help but...

We travelled Viking river cruises from Budapest to Bucharest in June 2019 and we stayed  two nights at the start in Parisi  Udvar hotel in Budapest,  and one night in Radisson Blu, Bucharest at the end.

Budapest airport is quite close to the city centre and the roads are good so a taxi won't cost an arm and a leg. At that time, and on previous trips that started from Budapest, all the river cruise boats moored very close to the cable bridge and it is a short walk from Parisi  Udvar hotel to  the boat - which we did rather than faff about on a coach. The coach collected and took our baggage to the boat.

Bucharest traffic is very congested, the roads were not in good shape, so if you intend making your own way to the airport leave plenty of time.

We enjoyed the trip, very interesting and - I think - Budapest to Bucharest - is the best direction because you leave a modern western type of city and as you go along the river you go back in time. The journey from the final mooring to Bucharest takes longer than the miles would suggest because the road is in such a poor condition, sometimes the coach would slow to less than walking pace to negotiate potholes. There was a comfort stop at a petrol station on the route.

My brief blog entry on the trip is here

Edited by pontac
  • Thanks 1