The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

32 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

That^ made me think of another coffee-related question: am I out of line to ask for heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream) for my cabin so I can use that instead of half and half?

It’s just a preference, and I won’t die if I can only get half and half (and I don’t use the flavored stuff, sorry), but I would hope I would be able to secure a small pitcher of HWC to keep in our mini fridge for coffee.

Thanks in advance!

@rbxladyI know the answer to this one.  Yes, in the Haven you can ask for a small pitcher of Heavy Cream.  My wife and I were on Keto, which allows Heavy cream in our coffee.  They accommodated us no issue. Sidenote, I made it on my Keto Cruise diet for about 4 hours.  Once I saw the cake the Haven had for desert, I was off the wagon so to speak.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, MarionH said:

For folks who have used their butler for room service morning coffee delivery, does it always have to be requested for a specific time in advance, or can you call and ask for it when you wake up? If you do it that way, how long would you expect to wait for delivery?

@MarionHWhat I am about to say is from my experience.  Others experience will differ.  When we asked for coffee in the morning, the butler took about 15 minutes.  When we asked them to bring it at a certain time, they never missed.  I like the Haven French Press.  It is super strong so not for everyone.  

The one think I will say is that depending on the ship and where your suite is located, the mornings I did not have coffee in the suite I went to either of the Observations Lounges.  Lovely view.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@rbxladyI know the answer to this one.  Yes, in the Haven you can ask for a small pitcher of Heavy Cream.  My wife and I were on Keto, which allows Heavy cream in our coffee.  They accommodated us no issue. Sidenote, I made it on my Keto Cruise diet for about 4 hours.  Once I saw the cake the Haven had for desert, I was off the wagon so to speak.  

Much appreciated! Lapsed keto-er here, but I still put a little HWC in my coffee 🙂 Half and half tastes watery to me!

Also, thanks for the info on the French press. We drink Nespresso every morning at home so were concerned the French press might be a little weak in comparison, but I reminded my husband that the suite will have a Nespresso machine, meaning we can toss in an espresso shot if it’s not strong enough.

On 8/24/2022 at 1:26 PM, philham said:

Sailing out of New York in February on the Gem. Since it will be too cold to use the outdoor pools for the first few days and since I will be in the Haven, do they keep the roof over the Haven pool closed for the first few days?

yes, haven pool roof on the gem is retractable and they keep it closed during cold or inclement weather. 

4 hours ago, MarionH said:

For folks who have used their butler for room service morning coffee delivery, does it always have to be requested for a specific time in advance, or can you call and ask for it when you wake up? If you do it that way, how long would you expect to wait for delivery?

I think they like to know for planning purposes - our butler would ask the night before what time we would want morning coffee, confirming that we still wanted it at the same time.

• Thanks 3

Heyo, I'm back with another question. Trying to help my parents with their booking. They want to know if you can hear the sundeck at all when in a room on deck 18 on the Bliss. Or, is there any other reason to take a room on deck 17 in the Haven vs 18, other than balcony size (not an issue for them)? Grateful for any personal experience/advice! 😃

11 hours ago, rbxlady said:

Much appreciated! Lapsed keto-er here, but I still put a little HWC in my coffee 🙂 Half and half tastes watery to me!

Also, thanks for the info on the French press. We drink Nespresso every morning at home so were concerned the French press might be a little weak in comparison, but I reminded my husband that the suite will have a Nespresso machine, meaning we can toss in an espresso shot if it’s not strong enough.

I took several folks advice and asked our butler to bring the French Press, hot water (husband only drinks tea), and some pastries every morning to our room at 7 AM. Our butler showed up at about 7:10 (not complaining - just stating when he arrived). 

After the first morning, I nixed the idea as there was too much coffee and food around us at all times! It's a great idea and if we wanted to dine in, or just enjoy a pastry super early in the morning, then it would be fine, but not for us. Everywhere we turned, we could get decent coffee and food, including yummy pastries.

I can also state that the French Press is a nice strong coffee! I love my coffee strong, so I'm generally used to tepid colored water, but not in the Haven! At home I have a Breville pour over machine and espresso machine. Some mornings I'll just have three or four shots of espresso and not even bother with the pour over! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, Sthrngary said:

Many of us choose the Haven because we want a quiet reserved area to relax and enjoy.  When a parent thinks the Haven Courtyard Pool is their babysitter; that the Haven Crew members should watch their children; with children that are controlling the pool area from morning to evening unsupervised.  That is Rude. The issue is not the children.  It rarely is the kids.  It is the entitled parents that think their job of supervising their children ends when they get on board.

I have been in the Haven Courtyard where we had group of children that did exactly what I described. I have been in the Haven Courtyard with children that were kinder and nicer than adults. I have been in the Haven Courtyard with no children at all. My purpose is to give those that are reading this document, some strategies. 

I loved reading your take on the Haven. I will share one point I want to clarify about the kids at the pool... Kids jump in the water and have fun; it is kind-of inherent in BEING a kid - have fun. Folks that want a private experience should not be cruising on NCL. Try Virgin or another private cruise line for adults only. 

My husband and I were with my daughter and she was having a blast in the pool. There were many kids there. All the parents or a guardian were there with the kids. Someone complained that the kids were left alone. This is nuts!; they were not causing a ruckus, hurting anyone or running around like freaks. The folks complaining were elderly, probably not comfortable with kids in general and did not want to use the pool with kids around. Quite simply, they are ageists. Rant over! 

Just like you stated, "What you get is what you put into the experience" ❤️

Edited by HerSpirit
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, HerSpirit said:

I loved reading your take on the Haven. I will share one point I want to clarify about the kids at the pool... Kids jump in the water and have fun; it is kind-of inherent in BEING a kid - have fun. Folks that want a private experience should not be cruising on NCL. Try Virgin or another private cruise line for adults only. 

My husband and I were with my daughter and she was having a blast in the pool. There were many kids there. All the parents or a guardian were there with the kids. Someone complained that the kids were left alone. This is nuts!; they were not causing a ruckus, hurting anyone or running around like freaks. The folks complaining were elderly, probably not comfortable with kids in general and did not want to use the pool with kids around. Quite simply, they are ageists. Rant over! 

I absolutely love it when people complain about kids in the haven because it's a clear sign they're divorced from reality. It's people who had no idea what they were buying and have to find a way to make it someone else's fault when they don't like what they bought. It's people who've never heard of caveat emptor. 

NCL is a family cruise line. They advertise themselves as such. They do not advertise an intimate adults only experience so to expect one is delusional. The website says:

• Cruise Norwegian and see why we were voted Best Family Experience by Travel Weekly.

The breakaway/plus class ships have between 20 and 25 two-bedroom family suites in the Haven courtyard. More than half of the cabin real estate in the haven courtyard is aimed at families with kids. To be surprised when they see kids there is proof positive that they made an assumption instead of researching and are now upset their assumption was wrong but it has to be someone else's fault. They can't accept that there's kids in the pool when they assumed otherwise so clearly it has to be the kids that are in the wrong.

So yeah if you book a cruise on a family cruise line which dedicates a lot of space to family cabins, expect kids!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HerSpirit said:

The key to children in general is simply cruise during none holiday seasons.  Simple as that and issue solved.  Glad you liked my thoughts.  I had a great time writing it.  

• Like 3

i never complain about the behavior of children.

it's the adults that are the problem, if they allow their kids to misbehave (and i'm not talking about kids jumping in and out of the pool and having fun, as kids do.)

it's kids who touch every cookie before selecting... none. it's kids who sneeze directly on the food at the buffet. it's kids who pee in the pool. it's kids who run back and forth in the hallways repeatedly... not on their way somewhere... the running itself is the activity. it's kids who sit in stairwells with their 14 closest friends, sometimes eating an entire meal and leaving dirty dishes on the stairs, and often blocking the normal flow of traffic up and down the stairs. 

the children come to learn that these things are acceptable or allowed simply thorough their parents' inaction. if there are no consequences for misbehaving, the offending behavior will continue.

it's the parents to whom the complaints should be lodged, not the kids, unless, of course, they're much older. that's a different story. but there is still lack of parental oversight at play.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Our issue with kids in Haven is when they behave as if they are home and in their own backyard.

Yelling , running and screaming and behaving as if the pool is theirs alone .

In Observation Lounge, had kids yell to family members when they were getting snacks. 

When walking to dinner, we Have been “hit” with water when kids in pool had small buckets and were throwing water at each other. No parents around. Lots of yelling, splashing and throwing objects

This is not the norm.  
Many families travel with kids that are having a good time and being respectful.

Kids who travel is not the issue, it is parents not explaining that behavior should reflect the situation.

We have had many parents with kids that are really fun to watch as they enjoy a family vacation.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, a little history on this Thread.  If you read the original thread back in 2019 and the updated thread 2022, you will notice I adjusted the comments on children.  In my original thread which is pages long, all that I was getting was complaints from mom's and dad's on my two sentences focus on unruly children.  

I hope this does not happen again.  There is a lot of good information in the thread.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

Probably an obnoxiously bougie question but I'm going to ask anyway after reading the front and back quarters of this amazingly informative thread...

Do you think the butler would bring a Starbucks order to the room in the mornings? I 100% fully expect a charge to the room outside of the drink package if I made this request. Regular coffee is a survival drink to me but Starbucks drinks (mocha) is a rare and special treat. I would be interested in having someone deliver one to the room in the AM to start my day as regular coffee, even if brewed in a fancy machine, is a struggle drink as I subsist on energy drinks primarily and that doesn't seem to be an option on my January 23 cruise on the Pearl in the Haven. That would be something wonderful to look forward to and am just curious if anyone has asked for that kind of treat. I can go out for my own alcohol but Starbucks to the room would be luxurious! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

DMCL

1 hour ago, spiffybebebaby said:

Probably an obnoxiously bougie question but I'm going to ask anyway after reading the front and back quarters of this amazingly informative thread...

Do you think the butler would bring a Starbucks order to the room in the mornings? I 100% fully expect a charge to the room outside of the drink package if I made this request. Regular coffee is a survival drink to me but Starbucks drinks (mocha) is a rare and special treat. I would be interested in having someone deliver one to the room in the AM to start my day as regular coffee, even if brewed in a fancy machine, is a struggle drink as I subsist on energy drinks primarily and that doesn't seem to be an option on my January 23 cruise on the Pearl in the Haven. That would be something wonderful to look forward to and am just curious if anyone has asked for that kind of treat. I can go out for my own alcohol but Starbucks to the room would be luxurious! Thanks in advance for any feedback!

DMCL

I can’t answer your question, but after years and years of seeing the same questions over and over again (understandable, there’s new people all the time), I think this is the first time I’ve seen someone ask this!  That’s a very good question!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spiffybebebaby said:

DMCL

Not a bougie question.  Ask the butler on day one, give them a time for delivery.  They will accommodate you.  Now some homework.  Learn about the Premium Plus Drink package, cost what it does and if it would be a benefit to you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, Sthrngary said:

Not a bougie question.  Ask the butler on day one, give them a time for delivery.  They will accommodate you.  Now some homework.  Learn about the Premium Plus Drink package, cost what it does and if it would be a benefit to you.  

Gary,

On our last cruise, we were in a Deluxe Owners Suite and received three complimentary bottles of liquor.  Is that perk only in the Deluxe Owners Suite or do those in an Owner's Suite get that perk too?

TIA.

43 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Gary,

On our last cruise, we were in a Deluxe Owners Suite and received three complimentary bottles of liquor.  Is that perk only in the Deluxe Owners Suite or do those in an Owner's Suite get that perk too?

TIA.

It is my understanding that All Owners Suites get that perk.  In addition, the three bedroom villa's also get that perk.  I found a "Welcome Aboard the Haven" document that might help.  It is attached.

Welcome Aboard Haven+.jpg

• Like 1

I paid to upgrade into the Haven two weeks ago, and the day after, I got the e-mail below and nothing since regarding the Haven. The link where it says "click here" is just a generic link about the Haven, not specific to me, our ship, or our itinerary. I don't have a TA this time. Do I need to contact someone about something in advance? Thank you!

Dear Valued Guests,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for making us your vacation of choice. We look forward to welcoming you to the private sanctuary of The Haven by Norwegian Cruise Line, featuring the most exclusive experience and amenities on board. It will be our privilege to begin pampering you before your vacation even begins. Our dedicated pre-cruise Concierge team will be in contact with you starting at 130-days prior to your sail date in order to assist you with booking your dining and show reservations, special requests, securing onboard amenities, and more. Our team is dedicated to ensuring your cruise experience is truly first-class.

Should you wish to contact us, feel free to do so at 1-855-625-4283. We are available Monday - Friday from 9AM - 6PM EST. To learn more about The Haven by Norwegian Cruise Line, click here. We look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd

Senior Vice President, Guest Services

Edited by rbxlady

3 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I paid to upgrade into the Haven two weeks ago, and the day after, I got the e-mail below and nothing since regarding the Haven. The link where it says "click here" is just a generic link about the Haven, not specific to me, our ship, or our itinerary. I don't have a TA this time. Do I need to contact someone about something in advance? Thank you!

Dear Valued Guests,

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line, thank you very much for making us your vacation of choice. We look forward to welcoming you to the private sanctuary of The Haven by Norwegian Cruise Line, featuring the most exclusive experience and amenities on board. It will be our privilege to begin pampering you before your vacation even begins. Our dedicated pre-cruise Concierge team will be in contact with you starting at 130-days prior to your sail date in order to assist you with booking your dining and show reservations, special requests, securing onboard amenities, and more. Our team is dedicated to ensuring your cruise experience is truly first-class.

Should you wish to contact us, feel free to do so at 1-855-625-4283. We are available Monday - Friday from 9AM - 6PM EST. To learn more about The Haven by Norwegian Cruise Line, click here. We look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd

Senior Vice President, Guest Services

@rbxlady If you have any special request for your suite, call the number or if you want an email address respond to this post.  There is nothing in particular you have to ask for however everyone is different. I usually ask for a water and extension cord for my CPAP machine.  If in the Owners suite I tell them the three bottles of spirits I want and the mixers.  If in a suite with a very large balcony, I ask for additional lounge chairs for everyone in the cabin.  There is a pillow menu you can clarify.  I have also had both excursion and specialty restaurant reservation changes done in advance.  I hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@rbxlady If you have any special request for your suite, call the number or if you want an email address respond to this post.  There is nothing in particular you have to ask for however everyone is different. I usually ask for a water and extension cord for my CPAP machine.  If in the Owners suite I tell them the three bottles of spirits I want and the mixers.  If in a suite with a very large balcony, I ask for additional lounge chairs for everyone in the cabin.  There is a pillow menu you can clarify.  I have also had both excursion and specialty restaurant reservation changes done in advance.  I hope that helps.

Yes, that is helpful! If you could provide that e-mail address, I would greatly appreciate it, too.

We are in a 2BR suite, so no big balcony and no three bottles of liquor. I do have a couple of small requests, though, nothing earth-shattering, that I'd prefer to get squared away before we get on board. I totally forgot about the pillow menu, and as someone who can never find a pillow she likes at any hotel, that is definitely something I want to "order from", so to speak.

Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Yes, that is helpful! If you could provide that e-mail address, I would greatly appreciate it, too.

We are in a 2BR suite, so no big balcony and no three bottles of liquor. I do have a couple of small requests, though, nothing earth-shattering, that I'd prefer to get squared away before we get on board. I totally forgot about the pillow menu, and as someone who can never find a pillow she likes at any hotel, that is definitely something I want to "order from", so to speak.

Thanks again!

NorwegianConciergeDesk@ncl.com They are pretty quick.  Remember my whole MO is to help folks establish realistic expectations.  These fine folks can't do everything we ask.  What they can do is give us instruction if it is not in their abilities.  They usually respond in 24 hours of less.

Cruise well and enjoy every minute. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

NorwegianConciergeDesk@ncl.com They are pretty quick.  Remember my whole MO is to help folks establish realistic expectations.  These fine folks can't do everything we ask.  What they can do is give us instruction if it is not in their abilities.  They usually respond in 24 hours of less.

Cruise well and enjoy every minute. 

I can attest to that.  In the last two months, I've contacted the concierge desk through this e-mail address four times, to address issues or ask questions.  Invariably, the desk has been helpful, efficient, and gracious.  My issues were neatly resolved and my questions were answered thoroughly.  And the responses were always within forty-eight hours of my enquiries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

Thanks again!

Don't hesitate to call the number Gary provided.  I booked my cruise very late so I called them directly.  They were most helpful and the wait time was non-existent.  They asked what liquors I wanted, about any special requests, what types of snacks we wanted, etc.  Very nice so go ahead and call.

BTW, it's been my experience that pillow menus are simply the pillows scattered about the bed.  lot of them.  I prefer a very small crunchable "My Pillow". It doesn't take up much room so I bring my own.  I also bring a bathrobe.  I've found those provided are too small.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Don't hesitate to call the number Gary provided.  I booked my cruise very late so I called them directly.  They were most helpful and the wait time was non-existent.  They asked what liquors I wanted, about any special requests, what types of snacks we wanted, etc.  Very nice so go ahead and call.

BTW, it's been my experience that pillow menus are simply the pillows scattered about the bed.  lot of them.  I prefer a very small crunchable "My Pillow". It doesn't take up much room so I bring my own.  I also bring a bathrobe.  I've found those provided are too small.

@RocketMan275I thought I was the only one that the robe did not fit.  I asked for a "Portly" size and was told "One Size Fits All".  All except me, I guess.  Then we spend a week on a cruise eating and the provided Haven Robe has NO CHANCE.  

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it. 

• Haha 3