Any advice on the Nobu hotel and what sites might be walkable from there?

OnTheJourney

Harters....Just looked into the Barcelona HOHO. It's still going. Very nice website explaining the 3 different routes, along with a downloadable map. I suspect this is way we'll go. Thanks so much again for mentioning this!  

Any specific suggestions on what you might feel are 'not to be missed' attractions? Betweeen all 3 routes, looks like it covers alot of sites. https://www.hoponhopoffbarcelona.org  

Of course, this will depend on your own interests. I would not bother with the green route but it may make sense to you to make the other two routes the focus of your two day stay, doing one each day (as way of easily getting round the city).  You'll not want to miss Sagrada Familia and the Gaudi houses as these are very iconic Barca.

Make sure you have time to walk down Las Ramblas. Nothing says Barca more than the Ramblas. Keep a close eye on your valuables.As in any crowded area, pickpockets abound and they are astute at spotting the unwary foreign tourist. Maybe try and judge the end of that walk to the sea end at around lunchtime and make your way over to Barcelonetta. That's the beach area with many small restaurants offering really good seafood. IMO,  the best lunch spot in  the city (or maybe for tapas early evening).

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing that the red route is accessible reasonably close to the Nobu hotel near a place called "Parc de Joan Miró" (west side of the map in a light green box), which looks to be about a 10-min. walk from the hotel. Then, however, I'd have to transfer over to the blue route since that's the one that visits Sagrada (eastern side of map), so it'd be nice to get more specific info on it. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 9.38.23 AM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm guessing that the red route is accessible reasonably close to the Nobu hotel near a place called "Parc de Joan Miró" (west side of the map in a light green box), which looks to be about a 10-min. walk from the hotel. Then, however, I'd have to transfer over to the blue route since that's the one that visits Sagrada (eastern side of map), so it'd be nice to get more specific info on it. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 9.38.23 AM.png

The Nobu is about 2.5 to 4 km from the most popular areas: Las Ramblas, Gothic Quarter, Sagrada Familia...  Very nice, but I would pick a different location.   It is very likely that you could stay at another centrally located luxury hotel for less than a Viking extension.  But, you may be locked into it already.

On the other hand, if you are staying at the Nobu, you can afford to take taxis wherever you want.  The taxis, by the way, are quite cheap.   If you only have one full day there, the HO-HO bus might take too long getting to different places and be more expensive than a couple of taxis.  Look at the zig-zag route it takes through the city and add the fact that you have to walk to it, wait for it, make all the stops, and change routes.  

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

Marazul, all points well taken. I am, however, basically committed to the Viking extension and just feel more comfortable letting them handle part of that first day, especially the transportation to the Nobu and then, of course, they also handle the transfer to the airport - all that is part of the extension cost.  I was a bit hesitant - given the current (hopefully improving) environment - to even add any extensions to the cruise, but the alternative was to fly all the way over there for only 7 nights. Didn't care for that, so I added both a pre and post extension.

Agreed on undoubtedly the extra time spent by using HOHO, but we'll do what we can. Can always go back another time and spend more days!  

Edited by OnTheJourney

You are right. Sometimes letting someone else handle arrangements comes first.

Frankly, you will be alright in Barcelona health wise. Politics, who knows.

Don't hesitate to use the taxis. They are fine and plentiful. 

Make sure to get your tickets to the Sagrada Familia on their wesite to avoid the very long ticket line. 

• Thanks 1