Review: Reflection Cruise: Feb 5-12, 2022

mizLORInj

Left icy NJ Friday afternoon amidst many flight cancellations, so I was grateful when we were airborne.   Arrived late in FLL and stayed at Embassy Suites.   Took shuttle for $8 at 11am to the port.  Quickest embarkation ever followed:  first you are asked for passport, vax card and negative test, then onto Security scan and check-in.  I think it was probably no more than 10 minutes before I stepped onboard the beautiful Reflection. 

Went right to my cabin to drop off carry-on; key card outside door.   I normally choose a mid-to-aft balcony cabin, but this time went with forward so as not to have my view blocked by lifeboats below me.  Cabin was very nice.  At first look it seemed short on cabin storage areas, then I noticed the 2 cabinets above the bed.  So 2 should easily be able to make this work.   Needed more hangers so I’m glad I brought some from home.  The bottom of the outer closet door hangs loose (not in a track) and when the ship rolls in swells, the bottom of the door moves out and back in with a slight noise.   Bathroom had lots of shelves, cabinets and drawers.  The shower spray was way too weak except for one shower the entire week.   I kept the a/c on max and it really was not cold enough for me.  The fridge mini-bar is stocked; first ship that has had this in ages for me.   With the drink package, didn’t need any of that stuff.   Balcony was so deep and beautiful with 2 chairs that recline and a table.   Cabin needs usb ports.   

Friends had a great Aqua class cabin on deck 11, HUGE angled balcony with a great forward view.   The only weird thing was no storage shelf in the shower!  They enjoyed the perks that class included like dining in Blu, daily canapes, cushy bathrobes, special toiletries, access to Persian Garden, binoculars, and welcome champagne.  

Activities Director Patrick was entertaining all on his own.   The first or second night he hosted a name that tune and I walked away with a few lanyards as a prize for the songs/artists I named (80s).  Benjamin was new to the role and was very good at rounding up people for poolside activities.   Shania handled a lot of the trivia, and I was on a team with Mark and Donna and we did won 2 of them.   The general trivia questions are interesting; some of the movie trivia was all old movies so we got hardly any; British Invasion needs to expand to include newer than 60s groups like Iron Maiden and Ozzy.   I realize they cater to the majority of the age demographic, but Shania said she’ll add variety on future trivia.   For most trivia you win paper tickets that you “cash in” for prizes at the end of the cruise.

Entertainment.  Comedian for this cruise was Basile who was cheek-hurting hilarious.  He was on for that cruise and left the ship with us.   Aretha Franklin tribute person named Alfreda; she was amazing.  There was an Elton John tribute by Donnie Troy who was phenomenally talented.  Dizzy put on a magic show; I remember him when he performed on silks with his wife on the Norwegian Gem around 10 years ago.  Singers.  It was a lot of singing shows.  No big production shows.  No problem getting seats in the theater, but the room off the theater area (comedian) was tightly and not everyone had a mask on.   Frisky Feud was entertaining.   The Silent Dance party was a hit so they ran it twice. 

Note that the rate I got was the inclusive rate; so classic bev pkg which covers drinks to $9—martinis are $13; grats, and wifi that was good for texting and checking email only.  

Our pax count was 1,182 for this cruise, and it was WONDERFUL to have the lack of crowding around the ship.  

LOVE that the dining rooms/restaurants/public areas and theater are not ice cold! 

We ate at Murano which was really good; they offer the regular upcharge menu or a $79 tasting/wine pairing menu.   Le Petit Chef was entertaining, although I thought $55 was a bit steep for it.    One in our party said the animation on another Celeb ship had been more elaborate, so on Reflection it was a little disappointing.  For me, it was something to enjoy once but I’m not sure I’d bother again.   They also ate at Tuscan Grille but were disappointed with how slow service was considering the light load of guests, and the steak was too well done.  I ate 2 dinners in the buffet and enjoyed the variety.   I don’t want to think about how much of that food was wasted. 

Café Al Bacio on deck 5 had a great team working there and I enjoyed a morning cappuccino every day. 

From trivia teammates Mark & Donna RE: dining room:  “We ate every night in the dining room except the specialty night.  I thought they had a good selection of choices each night and tempting fish and chicken ones.  The times we ordered chicken it was dry.  The steak choices were very nice and always cooked medium as we asked for.  I loved they changed the bread sticks and specialty bread flavors out each night as well as a choice of 3 spreads one always being unsalted butter.  I found the desserts to be somewhat lackluster as they were more ordinary.  Not once did I see a soufflé choice which is my personal favorite.  The appetizer choices were a nice verity.   They try and do anytime dining but flexibility in table choices didn't seem to be a norm.  Once you sat at a table they automatically wanted to put you at the same table every night.  I will say the waiters and wine stewards we had did a nice job.”

Pool attendants were busy and set up your towels on the loungers so they wouldn’t blow away in the wind.  One time getting out of the hot tub there was a pool attendant holding a towel up and ready for us.  Wow!   Please exercise extreme caution when getting out of the hot tub as it is very slippery.  Pool attendants try to be on top of drying it up but we saw 3 people fall in one day.  The afternoon sorbet and cold towels served poolside to cool you off are things that make Celebrity stand out a bit. 

Areas I loved:   Martini bar!  So delicious (martinis are $13).  Behind the buffet at the stern—gorgeous outdoor seating/eating area.  Spent a lot of time here.   Sky Lounge forward—many trivia games were played in here and it is just a beautiful and bright space rimmed with 2 sides of windows.  Unique cocktail menu (all the bars had their own which varied).   Also thought the Solstice deck (outside area above Sky Lounge) was great with lots of chairs and was never busy.  I heard it’s getting converted to a suites-only area.  BOO!   Sunset bar had a great seating area and view.  I watched part of an outdoor movie one night on this deck too.  

I thought having the bridge camera nearby at the bow area I would not have to smell cigarette smoke from those who smoke on their balcony, but alas, I was wrong.  Last day at sea I smelled cigarette smoke often.  

The only children we saw on this cruise were 2 cute little babies (less than 1 yr old) and one other under 10yrs old child. 

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this ship?

It has come to this cruiser’s attention that the public men’s rooms have riddles on the wall to keep men entertained as they do their thing.  Any of the ladies rooms only had hand-washing reminders on the back of the door.  When brought to the attention of Cruise Director Steve, he quickly replied that ladies always go to the washroom in pairs and have each other to talk to, so they don’t need entertainment!    

As we left ports or arrived into them, on the bow cam I could see people on the helipad all the way at the bow.   I called GS to see how to get invited to this lovely spot, and was told that it is for special groups, but the next one when arriving into Nassau was for Elite level and up, and then the good news that I was going to be invited to that one.   It was very cool.  They have champagne and mini treats up there too.   Loved to be able to do this.

PORTS: 

Dominican Republic.  Stayed on ship.

St. Thomas.  Private day (1/2 day) sail since we arrived at 12.   Docked at Crown Bay along with Allure. $11 per person taxi (3 or more rate) to Red Hook marina.

St. Croix.  Learned on this site’s Ports of Call section that St. Croix had a beach right near the port, so that’s where went for a few hours.   It was rocky but still a great beach day.   You can use chairs and umbrellas for $10 each.   Masks were required until you got out of the port area.

Nassau.  Stayed on ship.   Been here many times.

I did miss having a sea day at the end of the cruise.   Pilot boarded at 4:30am and we were tied at the dock around 6.  Did self-carry at 7:20am.   You did have to show your passport in the terminal. 

LOVED this ship and everything about it.   Wish I was doing the B2B with some others we met during this cruise.

• Like 6

The morning team at Café Al Bacio were so fun. They'd sing and dance. Very entertaining. 

Doing trivia daily was a blast. 

Did you attend the 8pm games with Patrick, Ben and Shania? If so, did you hear the Snow White joke? It was hilarious. 

Kelly

Sailing on the reflection in three weeks!  Doing the Western Caribbean

Our favorite restaurant is the Lawn Club grill!  Will definately dine in all sp restaurants at least once.  We have the unlimited dining package- so probably the Lawn Club grill twice and maybe Murano's twice-  We enjoy both breakfast and some lunch's in Luminae- But a nice burger at the grill works great for us.  Love Cafe Al Bacio each evening for tea.  The Martini bar is also a place we hangout!  This is will be our third reflection cruise-  

Glad you had fun.  Thanks for sharing.

We were also on this sailing.  Thoroughly enjoyed the trip although we did have one mishap.  My wife tripped and fell on a curb in St. Croix.  We had a police officer drive us back to the ship because she was pretty shaken up.  Doing fine now, thank goodness.  We booked in Aqua class as usual.  Prefer it mainly because of Blu.  The staff on the ship were terrific.  They went above and beyond to ensure we had a pleasant voyage.  A special shoutout to Dian, our waiter in the Tuscan Grill.  We had dinner there for my birthday and he was wonderful.  A lot of the staff were new to the ship, and I suspect, new to Celebrity.  Our server in Ensemble Lounge, we didn't get his name, was very sociable and made a great Manhattan.  Enjoyed very much speaking with him.  The only shore excursion we took was in the DR.  A great deal for $79 pp.  Over five hours.  This included lunch, a visit to a chocolate factory, a rum distillery, a cigar factory, and a lot of sightseeing.  The guide was excellent and very knowledgeable.  Overall, a great cruise experience.

4 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

The morning team at Café Al Bacio were so fun. They'd sing and dance. Very entertaining. 

Doing trivia daily was a blast. 

Did you attend the 8pm games with Patrick, Ben and Shania? If so, did you hear the Snow White joke? It was hilarious. 

Kelly

I didn't; what was it ?