Question on The Key

My DH is physically disabled.  He is not in a wheel chair but he has a hard time standing for extended periods of time.  He does have a state issued Handicap placard that we are planning on bringing with us.  Would it be worth it to purchase "The Key" for the prior priority boarding and disembarking?  I am aware of all the other benefits with the key as well and they are great but not a huge selling point for us.  We are travelling with another couple and they have no issue purchasing the key as well if we decide it is a benefit to us.  TIA

No, I would recommend requesting wheelchair assistance for boarding and debarkation instead.  This is a free service that Royal offers, they will wheel you through the entire boarding process and onto the ship.  

Depending on what class ship you'll be traveling on, I'd also recommend looking into a motorized scooter for the trip (special companies rent them and deliver them to the ship for you).  An Oasis class ship, for example, involves a LOT of walking.  

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

No, I would recommend requesting wheelchair assistance for boarding and debarkation instead.  This is a free service that Royal offers, they will wheel you through the entire boarding process and onto the ship.  

Depending on what class ship you'll be traveling on, I'd also recommend looking into a motorized scooter for the trip (special companies rent them and deliver them to the ship for you).  An Oasis class ship, for example, involves a LOT of walking.  

We did end up purchasing The Key since it was on sale, but depending on the lines we may request wheelchair assistance if we need to.  We will be on Radiance of the Seas so it is a smaller ship.  Thanks for the tip on renting a scooter, we may look into that for him.  

I'm in the same situation. I can't stand for an extended period or walk excessively at times. I have a scooter but it's too much of a hassle to fly with it.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

The time we cruised with my parents, they saw he had a walker and brought over a wheelchair and had him sit in and and we boarded together without going up the ramp. 

We did not request it.