Upgrade (not bid) after final payment when have air & when fair is cheaper

Anyone recently upgrade by calling in and not using the bid process?  Trying to help my son who is in oceanview and would like to go to a spa balcony and is after final payment.

1) They are using the air promotion, I saw older posts that say that was an issue as the  current promotion have to match, and air is not offered close to sail date.  Anyone able to upgrade after final payment that had air on their reservation? 

2) NCL is telling them they cannot upgrade to the spa balcony because it is slightly cheaper than the rate they paid, that they have to pay something. They could upgrade to a aft balcony.  They asked if they could pay the aft balcony price but be put into a spa balcony.  NCL said no.   I do see recent posts that state NCL changed their policy that upgrades via phone call must be higher priced now.  Just wanted to see if anyone was successful in getting an 'upgrade" to a higher room when that room was currently cheaper than they paid.

Since they have made their final payment, they really aren't entitled to any adjustments due to price changes (but clearly some people manage to get them).  

Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone who had air promo getting an upgrade without using the online system but will follow the topic.  Happy sailing for your son, sure it will be nice to get away regardless!

Edited by pghflyer

2 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

1) They are using the air promotion, I saw older posts that say that was an issue as the  current promotion have to match, and air is not offered close to sail date.  Anyone able to upgrade after final payment that had air on their reservation?

The current fare is lower because the airfare is not accounted for in the fares this close to sailing.  He paid a rate that allows him to get the airfare promo, not much to do about that now.  I guess the question really is this - is the lower cost now more or less than what he saved on airfare by taking the perk and booking when he did vs. booking his own and getting the new rate?

Promos have to be the same and the fare has to be larger. I was only able to upgrade my recent cruise by removing the 10% discount I had and paying $40. But the promos were the same. Without the air promo repricing would include him paying full price for the airfare... though not sure if they do that. 

I called my TA to ask. They checked with NCL. Because we have the BOGO Air and a ton of other incentives, there is no way to get the lower rate or upgrade to a Spa. They said the only way is through the bid process. For us, the lower rate would cause this:

• Have to pay for the Pax #2 Air (~$200)
  • Lose Pax #1 and #2 free prepaid Gratuities (~$225)
  • Lose $100 OBC
  • Pay the increase in insurance (~$20)

It would cost us about $300 to "upgrade" at the lower rate. 

I was not allowed to upgrade on my cruise in October because I had airfare - policy went into effect just prior to when I called.  I was able to bid but it did cost more than just paying for an upgrade.

I recently upgraded another cruise when the price dropped, just days before FP when they reduced the solo supplement.  Having learned my lesson, so to speak, I dropped the airfare and took the upgrade and refund.  But in this case,  the airfare promo wasn't worth that much since the port isn't that far away. 

So my net refund, after paying for airfare (1 way, using points 1 way) is about $200 and I'm in a balcony instead of OV.  And in theory, I could upgrade now since I don't have airfare.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Promos have to be the same and the fare has to be larger. I was only able to upgrade my recent cruise by removing the 10% discount I had and paying $40. But the promos were the same. Without the air promo repricing would include him paying full price for the airfare... though not sure if they do that. 

@smplybcause, Thanks for your reply,  I'm curious about the removing the 10%.  So the 10% discount was still on the existing fare and you were able to upgrade and remove 10% which made it more?  Seems like if they remove the 10% , it would remove it from your existing fare too and therefore would not be an impact.  But if I can say upgrade and remove the 10% from only the new upgrade amount;  I would be paying $35 more and be able to upgrade.  

14 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

@smplybcause, Thanks for your reply,  I'm curious about the removing the 10%.  So the 10% discount was still on the existing fare and you were able to upgrade and remove 10% which made it more?  Seems like if they remove the 10% , it would remove it from your existing fare too and therefore would not be an impact.  But if I can say upgrade and remove the 10% from only the new upgrade amount;  I would be paying $35 more and be able to upgrade.  

Update - I called today and ask them to do try to remove the 10% off in order to do for the upgrade to cost money and it worked (The rep did have to escalate it to the support team to get it done). The NCL rep was very nice and helpful.  I was able to get their cabin upgraded from ocean view to a spa balcony for $81.  They confirmed that the flights would not be impacted.  THANK YOU @smplybcause for your reply.  My daughter-in-law and son are very happy.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

I'm not entirely sure because it all got confusing. But the only way for me to upgrade without paying a ton was to remove the 10% coupon I had from a canceled cruise. Without it the cheapest in the category were too cheap because they were looking at the price I paid after discounts. So I had to remove it get it. Blah blah blah I stopped asking about math but it was just under 40 to upgrade but I got the site shore excursion credit added an as I had already paid for one I got a 45 refund for that so I actually didn't really pay for it. 

• Like 1