Cruise in Italy during Holy Week

mexicobob

Have a cruise booked on The Riviera for April, 2023, Rome to Vienna. Realized a few days ago that this will be during Easter. Cruise will leave Rome on Good Friday. We were planning to arrive a few days early to Rome but now concerned about the crowds. Cruise will be in Messina on Easter Sunday so assume many things will be closed?? May or may not matter.

Considering changing to another cruise on a different date. Anyone been to Rome, or on a cruise to Italy during Holy week. 

Thank you.

Obviously meant Venice.

As a traveler let me give you some perspective, on which you may well personally disagree. I have been to New Orleans on several occasions. The energy and the moments I’ll always remember will be those during Festival. I love Munich and have been there multiple times, but the events during Oktoberfest will always linger with me.

I always try to miss major crowds as a rule. If you’ve never been to Rome or Venice, as a traveler, I’d encourage you to go when the crowds are smaller. If you’ve been there before or plan to visit again, then “ seize the day” and live for the moment. The excitement, the atmosphere, the culture, the energy are often only captured during those rare special times of special occasions. I’ve been to Rome 5-6 times and going back in 2023. If I were you, I wouldn’t cancel and reschedule.

I booked on this cruise last year, and then came to the same realization as the OP. I posted the same query somewhere on CC and on TripAdvisor. The responses tended to say that crowds will be concentrated in Vatican City. And while the rest of Rome will be crowded, that’s also the case for most of summer. Holy Week is the start of high season. 
I decided not to cancel. In my case, I also had an earlier cruise embarking in Rome (last November on Riviera’s transatlantic to Miami), so I used that earlier visit to focus on VC. In April 2023, we’ll steer clear of VC. There’s plenty to do and see in Rome, including walking the streets of the historic city center and eating and drinking as you enjoy the city.

We were in Rome last November over the Halloween/All Saints Day holiday and found that because it was a holiday weekend, many attractions that required reservations were fully booked or closed. So I would be concerned about Good Friday closings. For example, our hotel was directly across from the Pantheon and we were never able to get inside. We had assumed that we could just walk in (with a ticket of course) but all reservations were sold out for the entire long weekend.

I would say just make your plans and reservations way in advance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Obviously meant Venice.

As a traveler let me give you some perspective, on which you may well personally disagree. I have been to New Orleans on several occasions. The energy and the moments I’ll always remember will be those during Festival. I love Munich and have been there multiple times, but the events during Oktoberfest will always linger with me.

I always try to miss major crowds as a rule. If you’ve never been to Rome or Venice, as a traveler, I’d encourage you to go when the crowds are smaller. If you’ve been there before or plan to visit again, then “ seize the day” and live for the moment. The excitement, the atmosphere, the culture, the energy are often only captured during those rare special times of special occasions. I’ve been to Rome 5-6 times and going back in 2023. If I were you, I wouldn’t cancel and reschedule.

Thank you for your good and wise words. Will keep our schedule as planned and look forward to the extra energy. 

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well they do go in the St Lawrence to Montreal 😉

Apologize for the mistake. Obviously, not going to Vienna. Perhaps sampling too much Italian wine trying to get in the mood for the trip. Thought we had booked a trip from Rome to Cleveland. 

• Haha 2

Ditto pinotlover's remarks.  Although we have not been in Rome for Easter, we did cruise the Mediterranean during Holy Week about 8 years ago.  

Palm Sunday in Valencia Spain:  We walked into the cathedral and by serendipitous timing attended mass in the chapel with what some believe is the Holy Grail.  Even more moving were the processions of families going to churches carrying intricately woven palm fronds, some 4 feet in length.  It was stunning.  We speak fondly of that day every year.

Easter Sunday in Amalfi:  Our ship arrived in Amalfi at noon, so all the church services were over.  It was still a festive day.  Families were out in the squares, children playing, and the bakeries all had wonderful pastries celebrating the season.  Shops and restaurants were mostly open because the ship had come to town!

Rome will be busy.  However, it looks like you will actually be embarking Riviera on Good Friday.  Most likely perfect timing for your Rome experience.   You can choose many options, either embracing the holiday or going to other venues.  If given the option, we would not think twice about the timing of the holiday.  Just my opinion.  

Katie

1 hour ago, KatieBelle said:

Ditto pinotlover's remarks.  Although we have not been in Rome for Easter, we did cruise the Mediterranean during Holy Week about 8 years ago.  

Palm Sunday in Valencia Spain:  We walked into the cathedral and by serendipitous timing attended mass in the chapel with what some believe is the Holy Grail.  Even more moving were the processions of families going to churches carrying intricately woven palm fronds, some 4 feet in length.  It was stunning.  We speak fondly of that day every year.

Easter Sunday in Amalfi:  Our ship arrived in Amalfi at noon, so all the church services were over.  It was still a festive day.  Families were out in the squares, children playing, and the bakeries all had wonderful pastries celebrating the season.  Shops and restaurants were mostly open because the ship had come to town!

Rome will be busy.  However, it looks like you will actually be embarking Riviera on Good Friday.  Most likely perfect timing for your Rome experience.   You can choose many options, either embracing the holiday or going to other venues.  If given the option, we would not think twice about the timing of the holiday.  Just my opinion.  

Katie

Thank you for the information. Especially, about the Amalfi coast. Did not want to arrive there and find the place closed down. We will be there the Saturday before Easter. Glad you had such a good experience.