Skagen, Denmark Excursions

millybess

I was very much looking forward to seeing the remains of the Atlantic Wall, but this excursion does not get very good reviews.  So instead we are considering walking the 5km. to Grenen where the North Sea and the Baltic Sea meet.  There are apparently impressive military bunkers located there also.  Has anyone done either of these things?  Thanks!

When we were in Skagen, we took the public bus out to Grenen (Viking's free transportation from the ship gets you to the public bus system).  We then got back on the public bus and went around the city ending up back in the center of town (many of the excursions on our cruise could be accessed by public transportation and paying the admission fees ourselves). There is a nice art museum there that we enjoyed. We did not see the bunkers but we weren't really interested in them at the time as we recently had been to Normandy. We found the time in Skagen to be relaxing as it was easy to get around on our and do whatever interested us. We did not do any of the Viking excursions. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, miami mama said:

When we were in Skagen, we took the public bus out to Grenen (Viking's free transportation from the ship gets you to the public bus system).  We then got back on the public bus and went around the city ending up back in the center of town (many of the excursions on our cruise could be accessed by public transportation and paying the admission fees ourselves). There is a nice art museum there that we enjoyed. We did not see the bunkers but we weren't really interested in them at the time as we recently had been to Normandy. We found the time in Skagen to be relaxing as it was easy to get around on our and do whatever interested us. We did not do any of the Viking excursions. 

This is very helpful. Thank you. 

If you are interested in Danish artists, check out the Skagen artists. https://www.dailyartmagazine.com/skagen-painters/. They are a group of Danish artists from the late 19th - early 20th century.  There is a museum, Skagens Museum. Our favorite activity in Skagen; walking to the tip of Denmark where the Skagerrak and Kattegat meet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wish Viking would bring back the  Amsterdam to Bergen cruise through Kiel canal. It had three ports  in Denmark.

I do not want the  Baltic /Russia cruise , so only other one is Viking Shores and Fjords with stop in Denmark. 

I might have to do a land trip to Denmark and stay for 10 days and see all these wonderful places. I am half Danish and have never been to Denmark, so it it is till on my list of journeys , either by sea or land.

thanks for the  art museum link above.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Wish Viking would bring back the  Amsterdam to Bergen cruise through Kiel canal. It had three ports  in Denmark.

I do not want the  Baltic /Russia cruise , so only other one is Viking Shores and Fjords with stop in Denmark. 

I might have to do a land trip to Denmark and stay for 10 days and see all these wonderful places. I am half Danish and have never been to Denmark, so it it is till on my list of journeys , either by sea or land.

thanks for the  art museum link above.

We too would love to spend more time in Denmark. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

We too would love to spend more time in Denmark. 

Go! You will love it! I have spent many months in Denmark, lived there for awhile, and can not say one negative thing about the country….except it is very easy to gain weight from all the great food! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, janetcbl said:

If you are interested in Danish artists, check out the Skagen artists. https://www.dailyartmagazine.com/skagen-painters/. They are a group of Danish artists from the late 19th - early 20th century.  There is a museum, Skagens Museum. Our favorite activity in Skagen; walking to the tip of Denmark where the Skagerrak and Kattegat meet.

Thank you!  We are on the Viking Jupiter in April and stop for the day in Skagen on April 26.  We are touring the Voergaard Castle in the morning and have all afternoon at our leisure to walk and explore.  We are looking forward to it.  We'd been to Aalborg on the Homelands cruise a view years ago and loved it.  We also were in Copenhagen twice with Viking.   Walking to the tip of Denmark sounds intriguing, weather permitting.  Will have to investigate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Go! You will love it! I have spent many months in Denmark, lived there for awhile, and can not say one negative thing about the country….except it is very easy to gain weight from all the great food! 

And it is so expensive!

13 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

And it is so expensive!

Heard many years go, that  in Denmark the tax on beer goes to funding schools. Don't know if that is real or not, but I did love  the idea. Yes it is expensive compared to Greece or Turkey or Eastern Europe. 

After a ton of investigation, I think I need to do a land tour, rent a car and stay in B&B or small local hotels and hire local guides .  My ancestors came from Isle of Fyn,

and Lolland ; Holding, and Sondie Draby paa Mors, Denmark.  Want to see it all ...

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

And it is so expensive!

True, you end up paying about twice as much, BUT….you are “contributing” to the incredible social system of these countries. Free medical care, free university tuition, free Senior Citizen help, child care etc. A Swedish friend and I compared our expenses and adding all the insurance, university expenses, medical insurance, etc.I have to,pay, we came out close to the same. It is just when you are a visitor to these countries, you are also paying for these benefits for their citizens.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, janetcbl said:

True, you end up paying about twice as much, BUT….you are “contributing” to the incredible social system of these countries. Free medical care, free university tuition, free Senior Citizen help, child care etc. A Swedish friend and I compared our expenses and adding all the insurance, university expenses, medical insurance, etc.I have to,pay, we came out close to the same. It is just when you are a visitor to these countries, you are also paying for these benefits for their citizens.

That’s why I wish I had of moved to one of the more progressive countries when I was younger.  

• Like 2

We absolutely loved Denmark on our visits with Homelands and the Western Europe Jupiter Inaugaral.  Copenhagen and Aalborg!  We stayed in Copenhagen for several days and took several great independent tours all around, including to the Viking Ships, and to Elsinor.   The food was also quite delicious!  Looking forward to seeing Skagen in April.

• Like 1

Visited Skagen with another cruise line a few years ago and went to Grenen and took the sandormen (tractor pulled trailer) to the point which was fascinating. 

At Skagen Art Museum we had an excellent guide who explained all about the Skagen Artists and their lovely works.

All in all a fascinating place where man is constantly battling the wind and sand, and where the sand often wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1