Ketchikan fishing

Bob and Linda

Hello. My wife and I will be on the Ruby Princess in August. While in Ketchikan I booked a halibut fishing trip. It's something I have never done before. Just curious if I would be lucky enough to catch one how expensive is it to ship some of it home? I can't bring any back to the ship because I didn't book the fishing with Princess.

To have it processed,  vacuum sealed, frozen, and sent home overnight rate is quite expensive depending on weight. I bring home 100-150 lbs. of fish every year packed in " fish boxes" checked in as luggage. Have been at the docks plenty of times watching peoples expression when told how much to ship home. Some do it, some don't.

Here is a pretty good site about sending fish home. The frozen fish are not sent until you get home from you trip so that they know that you will be there. If you want it smoked it costs more to get ready to ship but has less weight in shipping. I have never used them that I recall but have had fish shipped from Homer and Ketch. Other places likely have similar pricing. Most ships won't let you bring the fish back to the ship no matter who you book with. 

Understand the Cost of Salmon Shipped from Alaska (qualityseafooddelivery.com)

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

I sort of thought that $300 for a 50# box was about right but was not sure. Thanks Sight CRR for that site. I'm spoiled as my nephew who lives up there and I process, package and .smoke our own fish. Will be up there again this summer.