Has anyone done the Switch health antigen tests (the telehealth one)

DHLuCruise

On 2/25/2022 at 9:48 AM, melbrook said:

We just got home from our cruise this week.  I used the 2/pk rapid antigen test in the hotel room in order to board the cruise...it took about 5 minutes for the results to show up on the tester and then another 5 after i sent the photo to Switch health.  We printed the test result in the hotel lobby and they were good for boarding.  

To return home we brought 2 of the RT-LAMP tests with us, logged on in the cabin the night before we docked and did the test that way.  It took the full 30 minutes for the machines to read results and you have to keep them very still (not sure I would do this in a car).  Again we took and sent pictures, got the email and were able to print at a hotel before we crossed by land.  I did them on the ship in case we needed a PCR test on the way home (error or malfunction).

Each time they would not do both of us on one call - we each needed to call which in theory is faster if you can do it simultaneously without being distracted.  Of course as of next week the PCR test is no longer needed but the Rapid Antigen was super fast and easy and I will be taking our spare 2/pk with us to AZ in a few months.

Each call is different too - my ladies gave instructions and just sat while I did it.  My husband got a woman who made him hold his phone and make sure she could see every step up close which really flustered him.

What cruise line? I called and spoke to a manager at Royal and they said NO switch health wouldn't be accepted. Said it has to be US approved? 

Beforehand you register yourself and also any other family members as dependants. Basically you set up an account . Then when you are ready to test, you call and they put you in the queue. You should already have your test strip out with the QR code sticker attached. Place it in front of you so the proctor can see both you and the test strip. 

3 hours ago, jillyalex said:

What cruise line? I called and spoke to a manager at Royal and they said NO switch health wouldn't be accepted. Said it has to be US approved? 

Give them the actual test name, not the name of the company (Switch Health) administering it.  I’m pretty sure the tests they use are FDA approved.

4 hours ago, jillyalex said:

I have boarded RCL cruises twice with Switch antigen tests- once in November and once in January.  I had no issues on either sailing with boarding.  

116F78A8-B310-4518-A5D9-B10325564104.thumb.jpeg.7167ca022b546f706aa29e97efaaf957.jpeg

• Like 2

Just communicated with RCL

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from U.S. Ports including San Juan, Puerto Rico

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

I just got off a Carnival ship, and used the SwitchHealth antigen test with no problem at all. The test is easy to do and results are fast. I've used the PCR as well for the flight home to Canada with success too. I highly recommend these, especially for anyone in BC where we can only test in person at a few places and the cost for the antigen test is $126 (Kelowna airport) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

I have boarded RCL cruises twice with Switch antigen tests- once in November and once in January.  I had no issues on either sailing with boarding.  

116F78A8-B310-4518-A5D9-B10325564104.thumb.jpeg.7167ca022b546f706aa29e97efaaf957.jpeg

Is that the telehealth test kit? Or the actual switch health test at an on-site facility?

Edited by DHLuCruise

On 2/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, DHLuCruise said:

Oooh.. This is important information. So the switch health rapid tests are valid for cruising? I assumed it was because the underlying maker  (SD Biosensor)  seems to be FDA approved as a video-based antigen test (as per this link: https://www.fda.gov/media/155123/download ), but never spoke to anyone that actually used it to cruise.

What cruise-line were you on? 

Celebrity - I purchased them after many posts saying they were accepted.  So easy and eliminated the need have Walgreens/CVS bookings as well.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, jillyalex said:

Celebrity which is same company as Royal - no issues at all.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, Mimiya11 said:

Sorry if this was asked before as we just want to be clear before we purchase.

Air Canada sent us the Switch Health link yesterday.  The rapid antigen test is a two pack but I read somewhere that the two pack is really meant for one person in case one doesn't work rather than a two pack for two people?   

I asked the same question...the 2 pack is in case of error.  We actually brought 2 boxes (4 tests) just in case but the kit has 2 test and each has its own QR code so no issue splitting them.  Now we have a spare 2 pack which starting tomorrow we can use to re-enter Canada next time as well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, melbrook said:

I asked the same question...the 2 pack is in case of error.  We actually brought 2 boxes (4 tests) just in case but the kit has 2 test and each has its own QR code so no issue splitting them.  Now we have a spare 2 pack which starting tomorrow we can use to re-enter Canada next time as well.

We did the same!   Bought 2 boxes.  No harm in that.    

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:56 AM, mikenbon said:

I just got off a Carnival ship, and used the SwitchHealth antigen test with no problem at all. The test is easy to do and results are fast. I've used the PCR as well for the flight home to Canada with success too. I highly recommend these, especially for anyone in BC where we can only test in person at a few places and the cost for the antigen test is $126 (Kelowna airport) 

Thanks for the information. How long did it take to get the antigen tests delivered to your house? Being in Kelowna and really only having the airport do the tests really causes the price to skyrocket. 

3 hours ago, Darfun said:

Thanks for the information. How long did it take to get the antigen tests delivered to your house? Being in Kelowna and really only having the airport do the tests really causes the price to skyrocket. 

Mine came super quick.  I’m used to really slow delivery.  I think it was 2 days. 3 tops. I just had regular delivery. 

6 hours ago, Darfun said:

I'm in Westbank and mine took a little longer , about a week to arrive, because it was when the highways between here and Vancouver were closed in the winter . 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:25 PM, DHLuCruise said:

We are going to use it in March when we return to Canada from our cruise. 

How long do the tests take to do for a family of 4? We are thinking we can do it from the the cabin at 6AM right when we dock in port and can get a cell signal.

Otherwise, we are thinking about getting internet on the last sea day to just do the test.

i was thinking to do the same. have not had confirmation that a call from outside canada is allowed. 

On 2/27/2022 at 3:57 PM, Atlantic Girl said:

Beforehand you register yourself and also any other family members as dependants. Basically you set up an account . Then when you are ready to test, you call and they put you in the queue. You should already have your test strip out with the QR code sticker attached. Place it in front of you so the proctor can see both you and the test strip. 

can you make the call from the uk?

On 2/27/2022 at 1:05 PM, edrussell said:

Setup your account, add dependents (spouses count as dependents), and then log on and get in the queue.

on which site and can it be done from the uk or any other country other than US or canada

2 minutes ago, teresaluk said:

6 minutes ago, teresaluk said:

i was thinking to do the same. have not had confirmation that a call from outside canada is allowed. 

Lots of people have done the RT LAMP in the US. 
i know someone who has done it in Guyana. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teresaluk said:

on which site and can it be done from the uk or any other country other than US or canada

Also if you want to be sure yoj can email

them. I did for a question about using one test per person in the kit. They responded quickly. 

16 minutes ago, teresaluk said:

It's not a call, it's a connection over the Internet. As long as you have access, you can connect from anywhere you travel, including at sea.

Take a look at the antigen instruction manual to get a better feel for what is involved: https://files.switchhealth.ca/Switch-Health_COVID-19_Rapid-Antigen_Instruction-Manual_English.pdf