Fuel Surcharge

Luckysll

Has anyone heard that Carnival will be starting to add a fuel surcharge to upcoming cruises?   I have a cruise coming up in a couple of months and someone posted that a couple of members of their group received messages saying since the cost of oil has exceeded $100 per barrel, there will now be a fuel surcharge of $15.93 per person per day.

Now, the price of oil today is very close to $100 per barrel, but not over, so I'm wondering if there is any truth to the message.  I know Carnival has the right to add a fuel surcharge, but just wondering if anyone has heard anything or received a message.  I was thinking if Carnival was going to do this, there would be a lot more info.  Nothing on Carnival's page.  Personally, I'm wondering if the message said Carnival "may be" rather than "will be". 

Just trying to quash the rumour or get accurate info to pass on.

Edited by Luckysll

This was a great question so had to look it up. Carnival tried this back in 2007 and got sued by the State of Florida. I searched the Carnival website and found in Section 5 of the Ticket Contract the following: "We may elect to impose a fuel supplement at any time, in which case any additional fees will apply to new bookings only. The total price quoted to You at the time of booking will be inclusive of any applicable fuel supplement."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RockHoundTX said:

This was a great question so had to look it up. Carnival tried this back in 2007 and got sued by the State of Florida. I searched the Carnival website and found in Section 5 of the Ticket Contract the following: "We may elect to impose a fuel supplement at any time, in which case any additional fees will apply to new bookings only. The total price quoted to You at the time of booking will be inclusive of any applicable fuel supplement."

They have since added the proper language to the cruise 

3 minutes ago, RockHoundTX said:

They can add at any time to any sailing. Way back then, they didn't give enough notice, but it is an integral part of the ticket contract now 

Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges, security surcharges, or similar incidental surcharges (“surcharges”); subject to applicable laws, Carnival reserves the right to impose or pass any of these surcharges and no right of cancellation shall be implied. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 USD, or its equivalent in foreign currency, per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 USD per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full. 

• Like 1

That’s why I’m wondering if it’s accurate. The message apparently said over $100 per barrel, and the per person rate is higher, than what’s currently in Carnival’s contract.

I’m not going to worry about it, personally, until or unless I get my own official message from Carnival.  

• Thanks 1

I haven't heard about any fuel surcharges in several years, but it has crossed my mind, when the price of oil goes up. To the best of my knowledge/memory,  surcharges were  added to my fully paid cruise, back in 2007 at $9.00/day. It was what it was...

They can but it is doubtful they would.  That is more a tactic when dealing with a normal market where demand outpaces supply.  In a world where they are nearly giving cruises away to put people on ships it would only hurt them.

• Like 1

Guest BasicSailor
3 hours ago, ray98 said:

They can but it is doubtful they would.  That is more a tactic when dealing with a normal market where demand outpaces supply.  In a world where they are nearly giving cruises away to put people on ships it would only hurt them.

You said it better than I could 👍 I don't think Carnival is in the market for more drama.

Carnival is going to have all ships sailing within a couple of months and Sensation not restarting. Fewer and fewer bunks that need to be filled on more efficient ships.

Any fuel surcharge passed on is likely a fraction of the increased costs to Carnival for fuel. A cost that is outside of Carnival's control.

Their stock is expected to start rising.