What to do in Denali

sherrybee

We booked 7 days ago for the May 21 Majestic Princess cruise. Because we booked so late all of the excursions we want for our stays at Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge and the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge are sold out and we can't wait list.

Are there any private companies we can book excursions with? TIA

This was my idea for someone else. 

Read up on the Denali Road closures and then in my opinion skip Denali and go to Matanuska glacier, musk ox farm, reindeer farm, Hatcher pass and Iditarod headquarters. Maybe fly in to Katami or Wolverine creek to see the bears if the timing is right. I am not sure the bear viewing would work at the end of May.  sightcrr. 

The only road into Denali National Park will be closed at mile 42 for the 2022 summer season and very likely closed for at least part of 2023.  That means that there will be no road access to the Polychrome overlook, Toklat River rest stop (which is prime bear viewing), Stony Hill overlook or the Eielson Visitor's Center.  I've always thought that folks who don't go into the park to Eielson Visitor's Center cheat themselves. 

In any event, our OP should look at the thread titled "2019 resources ..." which is located at the top of this forum.  Look at the websites for the Denali Visitor's Bureau and also for the one in Talkeetna.  

The McKinley Princess Lodge is in the middle of no where and just used by Princess to warehouse their cruisetour customers. I'd suggest the 1 hour shuttle into Talkeetna and either do a trip with Mahay's Jet Boat Adventures or a flight seeing trip with K2 or Talkeetna Air Taxi. More Talkeetna options can be found here: https://www.talkeetnachamber.org/

At Denali National Park, the transit bus gets you into the Park. But this year the road is only open to mile 43. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

They are predicting a record year for Alaska travel. So decide and book soon.

At least go to Denali to stamp your National Parks Passport, go to the dog kennel to see them, take the bus as far as it while go. There is not one single bad thing about Denali. If you are going that far, you will kick yourself for at least trying to see as much as possible.