Millennium 1/8/06 to 1/22/06 - Don't shoot the messenger!

shaq

[quote name='flatwallet']I still haven't figured out why this is titled "Don't shoot the messenger". Who is the messenger?????:confused:[/QUOTE]

Shaq is the messenger....
[I] DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER -- From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman: "Don't shoot the messenger. Don't blame the person who brings bad news.[/I]

[quote name='dabear']tebelian: look at many other posters saying the same thing about a decline in food taste and quality. I don't expect the food to be the same as a fine dining restaurant, but perhaps my and others expectations are just higher than yours.[/quote]

Why not - isn't that part of what cruising is all about? I certainly expect great cuisine on a cruise.

surfklutz; mainstream lines can have good or less than good food, but it essentially is banquet food. I'm not saying it's bad, (actually x had one of the better food ratings which we agreed with until this last cruise) but it doesn't compare to fine dining. On the other hand, the speciality restaurants on x can be compared to fine dining; they are great.
A comment to a prior poster, there have been a number of posts (including my neighbor who returned this week) commenting that the Millie condition is worn. While I think the connie's condition was fine last year and 2 weeks ago and the millie was fine when we cruised on her at the end of 2001, they may not be bashing but it just could be possible that the posters are telling the truth. An interesting article appeared in today's USA Today that a number of cruise lines (including many of the carnaval owned lines and rccl but not x) are planning to add upgrades including luxury beds. Could it be that rccl is waiting to see if it is a successful expenditure of $ before it commits for x? By the way, I recall a few years ago alot of x posters complained about the hard beds. after enought complaints that were taken seriously, x corrected it. If there is enough smoke, there may be fire.

[quote name='2ladies']Susan-M - we are going on the Infinity and have cabin 8169!! Was it CC on the Millie? Is it a larger cabin and is the balcony fairly large? Does the balcony have sun loungers?[/QUOTE]

Great location! It was a CC on Millie & 190 sq. ft, so about 20 sq.ft. larger than a regular balcony cabin. The balcony wasn't very big, so no sun loungers, but padded chairs and a larger table - nice if you are having a meal on the balcony. The CC perks are very nice!
Which itinerary are you doing?

Susan - going round the Islands. I think its Eastern - but has Campo something (apparently nothing there) and San Juan.

Thanks for info on cabin - sounds the same. We love the cabins aft with the huge balconies, but we only booked last week, so lucky to get anything nice!!! I thought that on the deck plan the balcony looked a little deeper than usual - maybe we can squash a lounger on it!!! We may need that balcony as its Spring Break - but hoping Celebrity won't have as many teenagers as other lines - no climbing walls etc!!!!

By any chance, do you know anything about the horseriding on San Juan?

Roz

Hi Roz,

I haven't done a Caribbean cruise (yet) so not sure about San Juan.

The balcony might fit a lounger and a chair, but you would probably have to find somewhere else for the table. We loved the balcony even thought it was a little 'tight'. Maybe the deck plan is different on Summit?

I agree that it was a nice cabin to land so close to the sailing date .... have fun!

I came to the Celebrity board today to search for information about the condition of the Millennium. I've read many of the reviews and wanted to know more before booking a cruise on her. My spouse and I have been on a dozen cruises and have future cruises booked with Princess and RCCL We would like to try Celebrity and are considering the Millennium because she is the only convenient Celebrity ship sailing the week we are available. We have heard many wonderful things about Celebrity from our friends but are concerned that we will be disappointed. We now sail mostly for shipboard experience and usually book the newer vessels. If you have been on the Mellinnium recently, we would appreciate your input.

[quote name='beachnative']If you have been on the Mellinnium recently, we would appreciate your input.[/quote]

Beachnative, I found the following very recent review to be very informative:

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293376"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293376[/URL]

I myself sailed on Millennium in October 2005 from Venice to Barcelona and have nothing nice memories of one of the best vacations we ever took.

Also, Conde Nast Traveller recently rated Millennium as the #2 large cruise ship in the world.

Best Regards,
Floris

[quote name='Cruise or Lose!']Some people think fast food is great.

[B][COLOR="Red"]Are you suggesting that Celebrity is no better than a McDonald's or a Wendy's at sea?

Soup doesn't qualify as fast food. Neither does the chocolate volcano.[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]
I really don't think anyone meant to imply Celebrity or any cruise line has food no better than Micky D's. NMnita

[quote name='florisdekort']Beachnative, I found the following very recent review to be very informative:

[URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293376"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=293376[/URL]

I myself sailed on Millennium in October 2005 from Venice to Barcelona and have nothing nice memories of one of the best vacations we ever took.

Also, Conde Nast Traveller recently rated Millennium as the #2 large cruise ship in the world.

Best Regards,
Floris[/QUOTE]
I have to laugh, you left the word "but" out of your statement. As for Conde Nest, this is an old subject and really has lots to do with advertising. I am not implying Celebrity and especially the M class ships are wonderful but using what any media says about a ship, resort, etc really means very little whether it is the opinion of the publication or a survey. Just my 2 cents worth here. NMnita

[quote name='lysolqn']Conde Nast's list of the best ships, hotels, airlines, etc. is not at all dependent on advertising dollars - it's simply the result of a readers' poll which is published regularly and is fairly objective in nature.[/quote]

Exactly right. Has nothing to do with favoritism because of advertising support. Berlitz is another good source - they are one of the only non-paid travel reviewers - so they have no specific bias.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']I have to laugh, you left the word "but" out of your statement. As for Conde Nest, this is an old subject and really has lots to do with advertising. I am not implying Celebrity and especially the M class ships are wonderful but using what any media says about a ship, resort, etc really means very little whether it is the opinion of the publication or a survey. Just my 2 cents worth here. NMnita[/quote]

Hello Nita, I do agree with you.
Perhaps this is wrong, but the older I get the more cynical I get what I see as being 'impartial' rating or review by any of the magazines or media. I did buy products or services based on someone's advertising or ratings in the past..............and seldom I got what was advertised. The rating or advertising agency has to have some funds to operate and the funds must come from someplace or someone connected with them in some way.
I do not know very much about Conde Nest or how they do their ratings .....but I would not put much value in their published findings.

I trust more what I find on boards like this one or similar ones. One good review or one bad review based on any poster's experience will not make me book or not book a cruise.......but a number of similar ones will.

The starter of this thread must have had some reasons for posting this review and if that was what was experienced......., it is good to read about that too. Not all of us have the same expectations and the same cruising experience......but we all pay money to get on a cruise and pay nothing to write about them on this board.
I never had a bad cruise......but some were better than others.

Wes

The starter of this thread must have had some reasons for posting this review.

[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Of course he did - whining and complaining for no good reason. The Internet is full of whiners. Forgive me if I don't put much stock in the ramblings of wet blankets, but DO give a great deal of credence to Conde Nast.[/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Man, oh man! Mine is the 68th post in this thread and no one has caught on to the fact that the original poster hasn't even taken this cruise he is bi***ing about. re: [QUOTE][I]We are back from the Millennium [B]1/8/07[/B] cruise sailing from Valpariso to Buenos Aires around Cape Horn.[/I][/QUOTE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shame on you all. Picking on this poor guy who lives in the future. :D

One thought I keep having in reading this recent spate of complaints about trivial things is that the "me, me, me", Dumbing of America trend has also devolved into a "whine, whine, whine" tendency.

Apparently, it's not enough to get off on being selfish, pushy, loud, rude, inconsiderate, and overly-demanding, but now the orgasmic [I]coup de resistance[/I] must be to complain and whine about everything, too.
:D
Sad.

Allen

[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]WeBeCruisin', attitude is everything.

I LOVE cruising because I waited so long to be able to see the world. It was always my dream to travel, and now I'm finished with school (13 years of post-secondary education) and have a job that pays reasonably well and offers 4 weeks of vacation.

I worked hard to EARN these magical moments at sea, and I don't see any reason to complain for no reason when I can be sitting by the pool with a drink in hand, watching the sunset, or visiting a wonderful museum chock-full of fascinating historical information.

Somebody who's cruised 25 times, however, may have "been there, done that, overextended the credit card to pay for it", and therefore can't muster the same enthusiasm as a five-time cruiser like me.

To whiners like the OP, I say, perhaps cruising isn't for you?[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Cruise or Lose!'][B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]WeBeCruisin', attitude is everything.

I LOVE cruising because I waited so long to be able to see the world. It was always my dream to travel, and now I'm finished with school (13 years of post-secondary education) and have a job that pays reasonably well and offers 4 weeks of vacation.

I worked hard to EARN these magical moments at sea, and I don't see any reason to complain for no reason when I can be sitting by the pool with a drink in hand, watching the sunset, or visiting a wonderful museum chock-full of fascinating historical information.

Somebody who's cruised 25 times, however, may have "been there, done that, overextended the credit card to pay for it", and therefore can't muster the same enthusiasm as a five-time cruiser like me.

To whiners like the OP, I say, perhaps cruising isn't for you?[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]you may be on to something, I don't know about the over extention on the CC as none of us knows what or how others pay, but 25 cruises does make for a different outlook than 5. We, after about 20 don't see cruising the same way; 1st of all it has changed as I have remarked about many times and 2nd, like anything, when something becomes old hat it looses a bit of it's glory and glitz. We still love to cruise, do 1 or 2 per year, but it doesn't hold the same excitement it did 10 years ago.

Archived