Best and Worst Airlines?

Dorothy

In your opinion, what is the best airline and what is the worst? And why?

The reason I ask, I am searching several different airlines for travel to Europe this summer. Although, price has a lot to do with why I'm shopping, I don't want to get stuck on a plane for 13 hours and end up with a bad experience.

What is your destination in Europe? Destination has a lot to do with which airline.

Most American carriers DO NOT fly nonstop to London from California. The exceptions are United, American (only from LAX) and Continental. If I have my choice, I always take a one stopper-JFK, Chicago, etc. Gives you a few minutes to stretch your legs, grab a bite. Seems to make the trip NOT so long. 8 hours over the pond is enough for one sitting. And one-stoppers are generally about $150 cheaper.

Personally, I like BA over the pond. I love 747's and most American carriers fly 777 or 767 or even 757 overseas. BA has a great level of service, even in coach. With BA, you will probably have a stop in London before you reach your final destination.

I don't fly Delta, United, Northwest or Continental, so can't advise you on those. I only fly AA, BA and other foreign carriers.

In your opinion, what is the best airline and what is the worst? And why?

The reason I ask, I am searching several different airlines for travel to Europe this summer.

Where are you starting from, and where are you going to?

In addition to British Airways, you might also want to have a look at Virgin Atlantic which has a good reputation, although there have been a few more complaints recently.

If you can organise your itinerary to get it, the Singapore Airlines flight from New York (JFK) to Frankfurt would be a very nice way of crossing the Atlantic.

Most impartial observers would advise avoiding all the US carriers, if you can. But sometimes there isn't really a viable alternative for a particular itinerary.

Hi, Dorothy - we live in Yuba City. I would have to say that so far the worst part about making our travel arrangements was the air travel. We are going to So Cal first to drop off the children with grandma and then on to LAX for a LA to London flight on American. I liked the fact that we just get on one plane and get to the continent. I don't worry about the service aspect much. I know I am going to be unhappy on a plane anyway, so as long as I can get there in one piece and on time - then I am satisfied.

You may want to check the following websites: kayak.com or sidestep.com to check for all of the flights on the major carriers. I tried to check on JetBlue to JFK and then all the JFK to Rome flights, but in my case, it wasn't cheaper than just flying American. Someone mentioned a sale on Continental for flights from Newark to Europe, but you know that may present another set of problems. Good luck, Dorothy!!

I didn't realize the destination would make a difference. We can fly out of Sacramento or San Francisco and our destination is Barcelona.

The obvious answer is BA, then, from San Fran to Heathrow, then Heathrow to Barcelona.

Two points to note, though:-

1. Make sure that your London to Barcelona flight is from Heathrow not Gatwick.
  2. Make sure that the Heathrow to Barcelona flight is operated by BA and not by Iberia.

If you can arrange both those things, you will be connecting within Terminal 1 at Heathrow and don't have complex inter-terminal issues.

The obvious answer is BA, then, from San Fran to Heathrow, then Heathrow to Barcelona.

Two points to note, though:-

1. Make sure that your London to Barcelona flight is from Heathrow not Gatwick.
  2. Make sure that the Heathrow to Barcelona flight is operated by BA and not by Iberia.

If you can arrange both those things, you will be connecting within Terminal 1 at Heathrow and don't have complex inter-terminal issues.

Globaliser, could you please answer a question for me? We are flying to Heathrow on AA and then flying on BA to Rome. Will we be in Terminal 1 or if not, what are the inter-terminal connection issues for us? Thanks.

Hi,

I lived in Yuba City for about 8 months. Northfield Drive to be exact. That was 12 years ago though.

To all, Thanks for all the info. I have to make a decision soon. BA seems to have some specials every now and then, but usually within 90 days of travel. I have to either use the cruisefare that I booked, or find something else before our final payment is due. I'm hoping to get a deal, so I don't have to pay $1400pp.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep checking back to this thread incase there are more posts.

Best airline worldwide: Singapore

Worst airline: Olympic

That being said, I prefer BA for cross the pond travel. You didn't say anything about your return departure gateway. When I have open jawed flights like that, I book BA round trip to LHR (in my case) and then buy a One World Pass from BA, which was worked out cheaper for me in the past than buying say a one-way from LHR-FCO and then LHR-BCN.

If your return gateway is the same, then you won't have any problems, except in making sure you leave enough time between connecting flights. BA's luggage sorting between continental flights and international flights.... er.... sometimes leaves much to be desired.

Hi,

I lived in Yuba City for about 8 months. Northfield Drive to be exact. That was 12 years ago though.

Dorothy, what a small world. I live not too far from Northfield Drive, off of Stabler Way a little bit north of Queens. It sure has changed a great deal since you were here, I'm sure. I have lived here now for a little over 8 years.

Good luck with your airfare. HAL was quoting something like $1400 pp for ours and I booked it with American for $1200pp - not a huge savings obviously but still better. It is nonrefundable, so I am stuck - but I was risk averse about prices going up, so I made the leap. I hope you have a great trip.

Frank

We are flying to Heathrow on AA and then flying on BA to Rome. Will we be in Terminal 1 or if not, what are the inter-terminal connection issues for us? Thanks.
AA operates from Terminal 3 at Heathrow and the BA flights to Rome from Terminal 1. So when you arrive you will have to do this:-
  • Follow the signs for Flight Connections Terminal 1 (they may start off by referring to Terminals 1, 2 and/or 4, but make sure you're following the route for T1).
  • You will get on a bus that takes you from T3 to the Flight Connections Centre which is situated between T1 and T2.
  • You will then get taken upstairs to clear security.
  • Then follow the signs for T1 which will take you straight into the main departure lounge/shopping mall at T1. The monitor screens will eventually tell you which gate you need to go to.

This assumes that AA will through-check your bags and issue you with a boarding pass for the BA flight. As they are both oneworld airlines, this will very probably be done for you with no hassle. If your bags are through-checked (virtually certain) but for some reason you have no BA boarding pass, you just need to pick one up at the check-in desks which are in the FCC just beyond security.

Why did you say not to fly into Gatwick? My Med trip next September has us flying from Venice into Gatwick, Gatwick to Dallas/Fort Worth and then Dallas to Orange County, California. Should I be freaking out about Gatwick?
Not at all. My recommendation was tailored for the trip from San Fran to Barcelona, for which a BA-BA connection at LHR is about as easy as it can get. In many ways Gatwick is an easier airport to navigate. If you're doing a BA-BA connection there, it'll also be within the same terminal: BA uses the North Terminal at LGW.

I am now booked on Bristish Air San Francisco to Barcelona changing planes in Heathrow. It is expensive, but a big weight is off my shoulders because it is done. After making these plans, I am now thinking I should have had my one day post cruise in London (since we are passing through), rather than Barcelona. We are staying one day pre-cruise and one day post cruise in Barcelona. It would have been nice to spend a day in London. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Archived