Has anyone sailed out of Long Beach/Los Angeles recently?

waytoodeep03

Recently as in the past few days/weeks.

Is it warm enough to swim in the pools? 

I am taking a sail to ensenada and I know west coast weather is different. It will say its 70 but feel like its in the 50s. Was this the case on your cruise if you have gone within the past month?

2 minutes ago, waytoodeep03 said:

I am taking a sail to ensenada and I know west coast weather is different. It will say its 70 but feel like its in the 50s. Was this the case on your cruise if you have gone within the past month?

I cruised on Valentine’s Day and it def was not warm enough to swim I saw maybe one person but we had rain. I’d just bring a bathing suit just in case . 

We just sailed out of Long Beach last Friday.  In my opinion the weather could not have been better (but I have seen other reviews here where people said they had to wear a light jacket (on the exact same cruise).

The pools and water slides were busy (the aft pool was absolutely packed).  We spent most of our time laying in the sun on serenity or in front of the big screen (it was a little chilly in the morning but fine otherwise).  It was perfect for things like mini gold (not too hot, not too cold).  It did get surprisingly cool in the evenings though.

I can see where it would be kind of miserable if it were cloudy/rainy, but we had mostly sun.

Los Angeles resident here. I am currently sitting at home with my electric blanket. I am freezing. I think today's high for the part of LA that I am at is only 63 degrees. Note, this is really cold for us. Usually it is in the 70s for February. Overall, it would still be too cold to go into the pool until around April-ish unless we have a heatwave. 

• Haha 2

I sailed out Los Angeles/Long Beach in September 2019.  It was incredible!  Although the low humidity, compared to Chicago, was quite a climate shock. Having lived in a high-humidity climate my whole life, and traveling only to other high-humidity places, I had no idea the air temperature could plummet so fast once the sun set.

In Long Beach, it was 80's during the day, and 60's at night.  (In Chicago summers, due to the humidity, temperatures change little between times of day.)  On the ship and in ports, it was about the same, maybe a little bit warmer.  I spent as much time outside as I could, and loved every minute of it.  And on the sea day on my cruise, me and my new cruise friends spent the entire afternoon hanging out in the pool, feeling very comfortable, both with each other and the weather.

All throughout, shorts and a T-shirt sufficed extremely well.  Other than the dressy dinner clothes for the cruise, that was all I packed or wore.  I will admit that it felt fairly chilly dressed that way in Long Beach the night before the cruise.  But two things: (1) I didn't bring any jeans or jackets, and (2) the beer jacket I wore after dinner worked well enough. 😏.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Historically, in the Southwest, it’s chilly year-round when the sun goes down.  It’s much more noticeable in the winter months, when the heat from the sun makes it feel warmer than it really is.  The sun can be deceitful; it gets really chilly in the winter months (granted, like everywhere the weather has been unpredictable and we’ve had regular winter heat waves).  I didn’t understand the LA cruise build-up (in the winter months) pre-Covid… I get the weekend cruises aimed at locals, but it’s definitely not a destination destination.

On 2/25/2022 at 7:26 AM, waytoodeep03 said:

We just got off the Panorama this morning. Although we went further south than you will the pools were busy everyday. We stayed in the Havana area and the pool and jacuzzi's were very popular all week. It was very warm in all our ports. Yesterday as we came back to LB the Jacuzzi's were still very popular and the pools were being used. Hope you have a great cruise!