Baltic cruise

silversurf

Minor problem compared to Ukraine but here goes.

Cruises cancelled during pandemic so we have over £1000 to use as deposit on our September Baltic cruise.

We would not usually book such an expensive holiday but it was with the express idea of seeing St Petersburg.

We booked early because I need an accessible cabin, so got 25% off.

Now we don’t want to go, given the current situation

I phoned Saga yesterday and was told that as it was so far ahead things could change (we fervently wish for everyone’s sake, especially the beleaguered people of Ukraine)

I was told that if we cancelled now we would lose our deposit. We could change to another cruise of equivalent value.or more which has to be taken this year. Nothing of similar value is available with an accessible cabin or indeed anywhere that we would want to go. Prices have also risen considerably since we booked. They will, however, put us on a wait list for an accessible cabin. But as I said nothing appeals to us within our price range.

I see NCL have cancelled all calls to St Petersburg and are contacting their customers when they have decided on changed itineraries.

I would have hoped that Saga would be reacting as quickly but as usual their administration is not good., fast or helpful.

We have had some wonderful tours and cruises with Saga, but have had some horrendous problems with their admin

I suggest you wait for Saga to contact you with the revised itinerary, which is likely to exclude St Petersburg.  You will then have options - accept the revised itinerary or not, or possibly move your deposit to another cruise.  If you decide not to accept the revised itinerary, then I would have thought you would be entitled to a refund, as this would be a material change, because most people book a Baltic cruise in order to visit St Petersburg.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the 2023 itineraries will be released late March, so it may be possible to move your deposit to one of the new itineraries if you can’t find another 2022 itinerary which appeals.

We are on the same cruise.

As has been said, at this stage I think you have no option but to wait. I imagine SPB will be off the itinerary,  in which case I think Saga will have to offer you a full refund of your deposit, shoukd you decide to cancel.

On a personal note,  we would probably still take the cruise,  even without SPB, as the area is new to us, but hope that Saga would give some sort of discount to make up for missing SOB. 

Just had a call from Saga about our September Baltic cruise. SPB obviously taken off the itinerary,  with Gdansk and Ronne (Denmark) substituted.

We have confirmed that we will still go, but could have cancelled and got our deposit back if we wished.

And we now have the Premium drinks package.

I think Saga have done pretty well to rejig everything so quickly.

• Like 1

Despite grumbling about Saga being slow to contact their clients about Baltic cruises, I now have to congratulate them as I was contacted a couple days ago and decided to cancel.

I see many other cruise lines are dragging their heels and just changing intineraries but not at the moment allowing cancellations without penalties.

Assuming this cruise goes ahead, I wonder how full it will be,  given that SPB will not be visited. 

Strangely enough, it may make the cruise more attractive to those who have visited SPB several times, and would prefer to visit other ports, where they can stroll around unaccompanied.   

• Like 1