So we did the Conquest for a 3 night cruise. Can I be honest?

CaribbeanJen

12 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

I’m usually a Princess or Norwegian cruiser.  I was expecting something similar to the piano bar on one of those ships.  They usually feature dark, rich wood and have almost the feel of an elegant library.  Hard to describe.  

This one looked like a preschool.  

989FF2FD-A6B1-4CC8-A030-690453C9A3BD.png

If you went on Carnival expecting a Princess experience then that is where you went wrong. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, travelplus said:

I am sure you can get Future Cruise Credits or a partial refund or both. I think asking for a 30-40 percent refund back to your credit card is reasonable.

On Fantasyland maybe.  Just because you complain doesn't mean that you'll get satisfaction.

You're delusional if you think you'll get a 10% refund, let alone 30-40%.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LakeWobegon said:

One of the reasons was we saw some of the older ships in not great cosmetic shape on our first couple of cruises about 20 years ago. We love a bargain and overall we like Carnival as our favorite brand, but their ships are not kept looking brand new as RCI ships are. Adventure was old when we went on it, Oasis was ten years old, and they were both nearly pristine.

Rusty and worn down. Now, we really like the Vista class of ships (Vista, Horizon and Panorama) and can't wait to try the Mardis Gras in a few months. After sailing MG last summer we did Legend at Christmas and of course it was a contrast. We are on Vista in a couple of months and I am interested to see how it compares between the two.

I guess it's a matter of taste and expectations. I know people that would love the cruise you described, knowing the cons. Not me, though. I do like how Carnival, as my wife described it, seems to have "something for everyone" in their different ships/experiences. Let's face it. There are a lot of people who would never have been able to consider or afford cruises without Carnival being in the game. Either you think that's a great thing or you think it's not so great.  For people like us, it's allowed us to cruise more often rather than it being just a one time bucket list  massive expense.

I'll also add I was very impressed with the way NCL kept the Escape on some of the sailings we took on her first two seasons. It was impressive to see the team go to work when in port, hosing down the salt off the ship, repainting, and one guy always hanging over the side of the ship touching up the colorful mural. Kept it looking sharp. Carnival seems to do that too with its newer ships. I do see Carnival workers busy all the time as well, day and night and in port, cleaning and repairing, but again I do agree they haven't historically kept up with the wear and tear.  Replacing the dingy, stained glass panels should not be all that difficult or expensive and would certainly make the balcony a nicer space to match its premium pricing.

Back to the OP, thanks for your honest review.  While this probably was not the ideal ship to sample your first Carnival cruise as it is obviously in their large collection of older Farcus designed hard-worn mass market lower end ships, it may also be that this is not the right brand for you.  Holland America and Princess are around for good reasons and certainly geared to provide a different level product to a different audience.  

Some here are saying you should try a newer ship but I don't know that I would bother. You know what you like, why try again with a line that didn't meet your minimum expectations?

Edited by KmomChicago

37 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

I have a short cruise on the Conquest next month. I'm expecting an old, rusty ship. It's ok because I have two other cruises this year on better ships. 🙂

They'll have cold beer and Guy's burgers, not to mention Blue Iguana Cantina, Seaday Brunch and everything else. I'd probably be happy to be on any cruise; however, I do take into consideration both the ship age and recent drydock improvements when picking cruises.

I find Carnival does not maintain their ships as well as other lines.  I sailed on the NCL Spirit (launched in 1998) in 2018 and it was in much better condition than younger Carnival ships I sailed on. The NCL Spirt went into dry dock later that year for a major renovation.  Carnival offers a bargain and I set my expectations accordingly.  I sail on the Mardi Gras this December and it will be interesting to see how well it is being maintained.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

And what’s funny is the Magic isn’t even that gaudy as some of the other designs lol. 

But if you want to try the more modern carnival you need to sail Breeze or the Vista class or MG

I read somewhere that Farcus was only partially involved with Magic. Dream was the last ship where he was in charge of interior design. 

13 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

If you went on Carnival expecting a Princess experience then that is where you went wrong. 

It’s weird how much I see of this. It’s as if you’re supposed to have ZERO expectations when it comes to Carnival. She wanted loungers on her balcony and apparently that’s just too much to ask lol

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

On Fantasyland maybe.  Just because you complain doesn't mean that you'll get satisfaction.

You're delusional if you think you'll get a 10% refund, let alone 30-40%.

I can’t understand why anybody thinks she’s entitled to compensation.  You can infer from her post that they are aware Carnivals is known for its value cruises and has avoided them because she wants a more premium experience.  She’s use to traveling on Princess Cruises… which, of course, is Carnival’s wholly owned (domestic) premium brand.

Her husband surprised her with a Carnival cruise, just weeks after she returned from another cruise.  I think it’s fair to say her husband choose Carnival because he got a great deal.  A quick, Google search leads to Carnival’s website where it identifies the Conquest as having patio (non-lounger) chairs.  

I know that pre-pandemic, Carnival and NCL were launching / designating a handful of short cruises as value getaways for locals or tourists, including Orlando / Los Angeles / Miami.  Because they were value getaways, they lack some of the premium food, entertainment and amenities other ships have (heck, NCL removed many of the amenities in favor of additional state rooms on the ship it intended to operate from Los Angeles).  These cruises still give you a lot for your money… but it reminds me of the motto a former employer used: we can do and give you anything you want… as long as you pay for it.

If anything, the OP should be upset with her husband for giving her a surprise cruise that he knew wouldn’t meet her expectations, therefor making a stressful time for her even more stressful. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

And what’s funny is the Magic isn’t even that gaudy as some of the other designs lol. 

But if you want to try the more modern carnival you need to sail Breeze or the Vista class or MG

Or Sunrise or the other "sunshined" ships, whose interior décor was also modernized and de-Farcused.    🙂   

• Like 2

I'll never understand why people go on short, cheap, booze cruises aboard a 20 year old cruise ship and expect and champagne and caviar experience onboard a luxury cruise ship. SMH!! You get what you pay for.  Why would you go on a 20 year old ship?  There are so many cruise ships out there that are brand spanking new with numerous food options that would have met your expectations.  It looks like you didn't do your homework before cruising. 

• Like 4

On 2/27/2022 at 4:38 PM, cynt said:

I'll never understand why people go on short, cheap, booze cruises aboard a 20 year old cruise ship and expect and champagne and caviar experience onboard a luxury cruise ship.

"Luxury" cruise ship?   lol.   Sounds like a TV news report, where they ALWAYS refer to cruise ships as "luxury" cruise ships.  

Regent Seven Seas is luxury.  Seaborne is luxury.  Carnival, MSC, Royal and Norwegian really aren't.  

SMH!! You get what you pay for.  Why would you go on a 20 year old ship? 

Oh, maybe because the price is often much cheaper, maybe because some people prefer smaller ships, or maybe because some people prefer shorter over-the-weekend cruises, or because some people prefer the smaller, sometimes more-attentive crew, or maybe because the cruise line's offers (like my recent $0 offers) are often centered on older ships.  

There are so many cruise ships out there that are brand spanking new with numerous food options that would have met your expectations.  It looks like you didn't do your homework before cruising. 

A little harsh, there, doncha think?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pellaz said:

"Luxury" cruise ship?   lol.   Sounds like a TV news report, where they ALWAYS refer to cruise ships as "luxury" cruise ships.  

Regent Seven Seas is luxury.  Seaborne is luxury.  Carnival, MSC, Royal and Norwegian really aren't.  

Oh, maybe because the price is often much cheaper, maybe because some people prefer smaller ships, or maybe because some people prefer shorter over-the-weekend cruises, or because some people prefer the smaller, sometimes more-attentive crew, or maybe because the cruise line's offers (like my recent $0 offers) are often centered on older ships.  

A little harsh, there, doncha think?

They're just saying, this OP obviously already knows what they like in the cruise market from plenty of experience and the hubby should have been able to guess this cheapo deal on a cheapo ship from a cheapo line was not going to be to their usual standard and expectation.  They learned their lesson, you generally get what you pay for and their value priced cruise on this old ship was not a good value for them.

If you always stay at 5 star hotels, always have, can afford them and like them and expect them, then stay at a 20 year old interstate Quality Inn assuming, hey, it's a hotel, it must be more or less the same product, you'll likely be disappointed. It's not the same product and was never intended to be.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 4

On 2/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, Crismess669 said:

It’s weird how much I see of this. It’s as if you’re supposed to have ZERO expectations when it comes to Carnival. She wanted loungers on her balcony and apparently that’s just too much to ask lol

THANK YOU!  I bristled at that comment and didn't plan to respond.  I went on this cruise with low expectations and an open mind.  I didn't hate it.  We enjoyed a lot of it.  But I was pretty disappointed that balcony was not as expected.  

• Like 2

I'll just cut and paste my comment from another thread:

I haven't been on this forum very long but I have noticed one pattern. When someone points out a ship is in bad shape a bunch of folks jump on them. A common talk down is "you should have done your research." I find that one especially funny. Where do you go to see what ships are in bad shape? Definitely not here. Anyone who has read this forum for a month or two knows that saying a ship is in bad shape is just asking for abuse so only a few poor souls subject themselves to the abuse. According to this forum all Carnival ships are in great shape.

Another common comment is "that isn't representative of Carnival, you should have gone on a new ship." Well you are not seeing a Carnival ship when you are sailing a new ship. You are seeing the shipyard and outfitters. You see Carnival after Carnival has maintained it for a while.

I enjoy Carnival warts and all. But one of Carnival's warts is that they don't maintain their ships very well. They neglect them to the point you start wondering if you should switch cruise lines then they do extensive work on them and bring them back to pretty darn good.

We sail out of New Orleans since it is just an hour from the house to the terminal. We watched the Dream decay to the point we were thinking about going with Norwegian. Then it was moved to Galveston. From what I have heard they apparently put some work into it. It was replaced with Glory. We watched Glory decay until covid. It came back from covid in OK shape, but on our last trip a couple of weeks ago after it had been it wet dock it is in great shape, except for the wood decks and we are thrilled with it.

But I really wish people could come on here and let folks know which ships are in bad shape and which are in good shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icft said:

But I really wish people could come on here and let folks know which ships are in bad shape and which are in good shape.

Excellent shape is Mardi Gras.  Very Good Shape are the 3 Vista Class Ships(2016, 2018, 2019)  Good shape would be the 3 Dream Class (2009, 2011, 2012) and the Sunrise and Radiance (2019, 2020) that underwent extensive renovations.  That leaves the rest of the fleet as bad shape.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Excellent shape is Mardi Gras.  Very Good Shape are the 3 Vista Class Ships(2016, 2018, 2019)  Good shape would be the 3 Dream Class (2009, 2011, 2012) and the Sunrise and Radiance (2019, 2020) that underwent extensive renovations.  That leaves the rest of the fleet as bad shape.

I think you’re generalizing too much based on age.  The Panorama is practically new - I don’t think it has logged a years’ worth of sailings, many of which had very light passenger loads.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mardi Gras surpasses it within the next year or so in terms of passengers carrier, with a disproportionate number of children.

And given that the Radiance just completed a $200M renovation, I’d hope it’s be better than “good shape.” 🙂

FWIW, I toured the inspiration when it was in LB a few years ago… while it was obvious it wasn’t new, it was in very good shape, and I doubt many people would’ve guessed it first sailed in 1993.  

19 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Good info. I would add Glory to the Good shape after its recent wet dock. The wood decks could use some work and there is a bit of rust in some spots (not more than one would expect on any ship other than one just launched) but other than that great.

We're sailing Miracle in a few days in a 'free' aft balc.  I haven't been on her in something like a dozen years but remember the grapes. I know what the brisket tastes like.  I think I'll probably have the sea bass on Elegant night. I know that the waiters, bartenders and stewards will be among the nicest people I ever get to encounter.  I hope we get a lounger but I'll survive if we don't. I'll be at sea for a few days as an alternate to my condo's balcony and I won't even have to make my bed.  Need to check the weather to see if I need to pack a sweatshirt.  Sounds like a good plan to me.

• Like 3

It has been my experience that people on this site in general just loved their cruise or not.  Just like other media sites, most people only write reviews if they loved the experience or have something they really did not like.  For this reason, I read hundreds of reviews before booking a trip whether it be on land or sea.  But I also know that not everyone does and I respect their opinions.

thanks for your honest review.  do you care to share your stateroom #?  we are booked in aft balcony on conquest later this month and now I have concerns since I did book this balcony type based on the multiple pics showing loungers on the deck and plans to enjoy the view out of non clouded over glass balcony.  I will be very disappointed to find what you had.  thanks

We just got back from a 3-day on the Conquest and thought the food was better than we had on the Miracle in late December. While I didn't notice the rust we did notice some minor things in our balcony room. Overall for booking 3 days in advance we had a great trip. 

2 hours ago, herdfans4 said:

thanks for your honest review.  do you care to share your stateroom #?  we are booked in aft balcony on conquest later this month and now I have concerns since I did book this balcony type based on the multiple pics showing loungers on the deck and plans to enjoy the view out of non clouded over glass balcony.  I will be very disappointed to find what you had.  thanks

Our room was 7447.  
Adding to this problem was the door to the deck.  So you can’t really see the ocean from inside the room.  Two dirty/damaged glass panels. 

You won’t get a lounger unless you figure out how to get it there yourself.  They were firm.  

in spite of the nasty comments that a few people have made here- we did enjoy the cruise.  We were disappointed in the balcony but we went to other areas and enjoyed ourselves. The food was good.  Our cabin was very clean and comfortable. 

EA22C63D-4CE6-47CA-9C5F-CEC6381DDCBD.jpeg

• Like 2