So we did the Conquest for a 3 night cruise. Can I be honest?

CaribbeanJen

Oh no looks like we are in the room right beside this one in 7446.  Our cruise is near end of this month.  I will report back our experience too.   I will be really disappointed if there is no lounger.  

Glad to hear there were parts you enjoyed as well.  

I've mainly sailed on Carnival, and enjoyed (or thought I enjoyed) the Conquest class ships.  I loved my cruise on the Liberty.  Then I took a similar itinerary cruise on the Conquest.  It was not good.  It wasn't an especially short or cheap cruise either, a 6 day instead of the more routine 7 day cruise.

It wasn't all bad, but definitely not up to par with the service or crew morale of the other carnival cruises I've taken.  I think the biggest disappointment was the fitness classes.   The guy who was supposed to teach wouldn't show up, or likely had scared off anyone else who had showed up, with his hostile attitude.  The cabin stewards were fine & so were my wait staff, but the food was marginal.  Service in some of the food / drink fee based venues was variable - some good, some really bad.  

So I wouldn't necessarily chalk up the OP's experience to wanting a Princess type cruise on carnival.  

Edited by CanWeGoYet?
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 7:22 AM, CaribbeanJen said:

I’m usually a Princess or Norwegian cruiser.  I was expecting something similar to the piano bar on one of those ships.  They usually feature dark, rich wood and have almost the feel of an elegant library.  Hard to describe.  

This one looked like a preschool.  

989FF2FD-A6B1-4CC8-A030-690453C9A3BD.png

What are you talking about? The one in the picture looks gorgeous 

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2022 at 9:07 AM, CaribbeanJen said:

I already submitted a review and I'm waiting for it to be published.  We have been on more than 10 cruises but never on carnival and never for just a weekend.  Our cruise "style" is to spend a lot of time on our balcony, enjoy some good food, and find quiet spots on the deck to read.  

The good: 

• Our bed was comfortable 
  • The cabin was very clean 
  • Our room steward was a sweetheart 

The Hmmmm.....

• Food was just ok.  Not great
  • Service in the dining room was hit or miss
  • We went to a comedian and he was simply not funny. This is obviously subjective but black comedians making jokes about racism don't land with me. It's not funny. 

The bad:

• This ship is old and it shows
  • So...much...rust
  • I'd like a word with the person who designed the Piano Bar.  Was it an acid trip?  Piano bars are usually classy- no?  

The biggest disappointment: 

My husband booked this as a surprise and it was a very sweet idea. (Don't want to talk much about this but we were getting away because 2/22 is the two year anniversary of losing our son.)   He paid extra for the AFT balcony because we love those.  We spend a LOT of time on our balcony eating, drinking wine/coffee, sunning, playing games, etc.  

The balcony on this cruise was simply awful   It was worn, rusty, damaged.  The glass panels on the railing appear dirty but they are actually damaged.  You can barely see through them.  The room is pictured on the website with two loungers.  There's plenty of room to have them.  We asked for them and were told they wouldn't fit.  That is simply not true.  

At the same time, the space feels like an abandoned hotel.  It wasn't that pleasant and we might not have bothered using loungers anyway.  

We made the best of it and enjoyed being together.  Carnival appears to be getting every nickel they can out of this ship before they retire it.  Seeing how old and unkempt it was felt a little depressing.  

balcony 2.jpg

balcony 3.jpg

balcony 4.jpg

balcony 5.jpg

balcony.jpg

Wow, that's some nasty glass

Edited by pc_load_letter
  • Like 1

I'm gonna jump back in here and thank OP for a fair and truthful review of the ship.  Unlike some posts on here, the OP acknowledged the good parts of the cruise, while also pointing out the bad and not exaggerating what that is.

Carnival runs a lot of the older ships at bargain basement prices while skimping on some of the cosmetic stuff.  For most of us, this is the accepted trade off.

However, premium rooms/balconies on these ships can be problematic, as you expect to get an upgraded experience and are disappointed when the "better" rooms really aren't.

I think the biggest take from me is this: The old ships will be a little ugly.  Sail them on a budget, but don't spend extra on premium features as they may not be as good as you hoped.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

I'm gonna jump back in here and thank OP for a fair and truthful review of the ship.  Unlike some posts on here, the OP acknowledged the good parts of the cruise, while also pointing out the bad and not exaggerating what that is.

Carnival runs a lot of the older ships at bargain basement prices while skimping on some of the cosmetic stuff.  For most of us, this is the accepted trade off.

However, premium rooms/balconies on these ships can be problematic, as you expect to get an upgraded experience and are disappointed when the "better" rooms really aren't.

I think the biggest take from me is this: The old ships will be a little ugly.  Sail them on a budget, but don't spend extra on premium features as they may not be as good as you hoped.

I agree with you.  If we did another short- budget one we would get a standard balcony.  

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, herdfans4 said:

Oh no looks like we are in the room right beside this one in 7446.  Our cruise is near end of this month.  I will report back our experience too.   I will be really disappointed if there is no lounger.  

Glad to hear there were parts you enjoyed as well.  

I saw your balcony.   It’s exactly like the one we had. There’s no lounger.  We asked a few times. You won’t get one unless you get it yourself.  😂 

if you could switch to a standard balcony you might get a better one.  I suspect they could be in better shape because they are not open to the elements quite so much.  I could be wrong. 

14 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

It all comes down to personal taste.  
This is what I expected. 😂😂😂

36CE7540-0F55-433A-8A6F-EB685BFB7B2C.jpeg

This piano bar has a hint of sophistication.  Sophistication and Joe Farcus, the Carnival ship designer back when the Conquest was built do not go together.  

Think over the top with Pepto Bismol coloring and that was more of his style.

54 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

Pictured above is certainly a stretch for any piano bar on Carnival, even the newer ships.  That's a bit more Princess/HAL.

Most Carnival piano bars have the sweeping oversized circular bar, and a nightclub-ish feel to them. 

That said, the colors on this one are about as Farcus as it gets!  

20 hours ago, Indytraveler83 said:

Now if only other cruisers will read reviews like this one before they make the same mistake. There are plenty of critical reviews.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

The last Princess ship we were on had added a dining spot to the middle of this room that many were not happy with.  So always do your research just in case.

39 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Here's a pic of the piano bar on MG.  I still see those "piano keys" design for the table surrounding the piano.  I thought the chandelier above the piano was very pretty. We had a great time.

piano bar.jpg

WOW- that's really cool!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

I guess so! 😂 I would not be happy with this design. Looks very dated, especially the chairs and carpeting. 

I don't disagree- it's dated for sure.  It's just what I've grown to expect so you can understand my surprise and confusion when I encountered the verrrrry colorful one.  We were only in there once and it was during the day.  I imagine it feels very different in the evening with lots of people inside.  

I do agree there is a lot of tacky on these ships, but I like it...I equate it to Vegas....cheesy, over the top and tacky but in a fun way...would I decorate my house that way, heck no but can I enjoy it for a few days on vacation no problem!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CaribbeanJen said:

I don't disagree- it's dated for sure.  It's just what I've grown to expect so you can understand my surprise and confusion when I encountered the verrrrry colorful one.  We were only in there once and it was during the day.  I imagine it feels very different in the evening with lots of people inside.  

Oof. Yeah natural lighting will make it look much brighter. 

21 hours ago, famof4togo said:

I do agree there is a lot of tacky on these ships, but I like it...I equate it to Vegas....cheesy, over the top and tacky but in a fun way...would I decorate my house that way, heck no but can I enjoy it for a few days on vacation no problem!

Yes, absolutely!  The piano bar on Inspiration was tacky indeed, and it attracted the crowd to match: Nascar-esque and kind of low-brow, but not trashy to the point of being offputting.  An occasional F-bomb, yeah; overt hostility to others, no way.  But it was the highlight of my cruise.  I (male) met two friendly ladies there the second night of my cruise, who liked my off-the-wall comments to the pianist's songs; I went there every night after like clockwork.

While I do enjoy a classy experience from time to time, I don't think a traditionally classy piano bar would have been as fun.  I cruise for a break from stressful work, not mindful enrichment.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 4