Venice and boarding

PRH

Anyone embark in Venice this year?  I understand the ships are docking at Fusina on the mainland.  Do you check-in at the cruise terminal on the island (I.e. get seapass, etc.?) or are you simply transported to Fusina by bus and check in there?  What time did boarding open?  Thanks!

I will be embarking in Venice at the end of March. I just got this email from Viking the other day:

——————-

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Mediterranean Odyssey voyage. We would like to update you regarding your docking location in Venice. 

As you may be aware, the Italian government announced that cruise ships would no longer be allowed to travel through the city's canals. To ensure you enjoy time in Venice, VIKING SKYwill dock in the nearby port of Fusina. Venice shore excursions will operate from the ship's alternate docking location.

If this change affects your embarkation and you are traveling independently, please direct your driver to take you to the Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima).

If you're flying into Venice and not doing some touring on your own, Viking will gather you up at the airport, so you'll be squired to the ship without any effort on your part...

If you're traveling independently, just go to Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima), and they'll get you to Fusina (I assume).

We're on the cruise from Rome to Athens, so we'll be in Venice on the 11th.

A little different question but didn't want to start a new thread.. Our Odyssey cruise ends in Venice.  We have an early flight home.  Should we have any concerns (or try to change our flight) about getting an early (4-5AM) transport to the airport from the Fusina port?  Flight was booked on our own - not through Viking.

5 hours ago, PWRWAGN said:

A little different question but didn't want to start a new thread.. Our Odyssey cruise ends in Venice.  We have an early flight home.  Should we have any concerns (or try to change our flight) about getting an early (4-5AM) transport to the airport from the Fusina port?  Flight was booked on our own - not through Viking.

I would be concerned about whether the ship would be cleared for offloading at that hour.  That might in part depend on where it had been previously (customs/immigration).

Looking at the satellite view, it appears that there is a small parking lot/turnaround just outside the gates at Fusina, where presumably a pre-arranged taxi could pick you up.  The airport can be a bit of a zoo early in the morning, but don't count on checking in two hours before departure - they may not have opened the desks.

• Like 1

We often arrange our own travel and then purchase a Viking Transfer for our flight.  They have always arranged to get us to the airport in plently of time for our flight.    Under "Viking Air " of your "My Viking Journey" print out the "Transfer Request Form" and send it to Viking.   You can also arrange this transfer after you get on board.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, PWRWAGN said:

My understanding is that taxis are plentiful, but you might want to ask about that when you get on the ship. We always allow a lot more time than we need, but I'd rather sit in an airport and read my book, than fret about getting to the airport on time.

• Like 1

I can’t vouch for Viking customer service, but the guy my sister talked to intimated that you could go directly to Fusina.  BUT to wait for boarding documents for final answer!  We are staying in Mestre.  Seems ridiculous to go over to the Venice cruise terminal to board a bus to go right back past where we were!   Does anyone know if they are using the Venice terminal to actually process passengers (I.e. check documents and hand out sea passes, check in luggage, etc.) or are they doing that at the ship’s dock area in Fusina??  Inquiring minds are curious.  

1 hour ago, PRH said:

I can’t vouch for Viking customer service, but the guy my sister talked to intimated that you could go directly to Fusina.  BUT to wait for boarding documents for final answer!  We are staying in Mestre.  Seems ridiculous to go over to the Venice cruise terminal to board a bus to go right back past where we were!   Does anyone know if they are using the Venice terminal to actually process passengers (I.e. check documents and hand out sea passes, check in luggage, etc.) or are they doing that at the ship’s dock area in Fusina??  Inquiring minds are curious.  

It may be that, in the terminal, they check your Covid test results; that's what happened on our cruise to the Caribbean this past December. In the terminal, they looked at our PCR test document, and then we were given our key cards and tracker lanyards, and allowed onto the ship.

Viking doesn't really have any sort of setup like that when you board the ship, you just go through the entry area and the metal detector, and you're on the ship. 

Viking returned my call today.  Fusina is not open to cruise passengers.  All embarking passengers must go to the cruise terminal in Venice to check-in (document checks, sea pass, luggage, etc) and then will be bussed to Fusina (about 30 minutes).  Didn’t sound like passengers would be allowed to leave Fusina by themselves to catch a taxi but if you’re thinking about this, check directly with Viking as the representative who called made it sound as though only Viking busses would be able to access the ship.

On 2/26/2022 at 11:41 PM, curmudgeon98 said:

I would be concerned about whether the ship would be cleared for offloading at that hour.  That might in part depend on where it had been previously (customs/immigration).

Im assuming that since we will actually arrive in Venice (Fusina) the day before we fly out (actually have an excursion the first day) that all customs/immigration required would be already taken care of?  Thats my hope anyway.  When I questioned the Viking rep prior to booking our flight they made it sound like it wouldn't be an issue. But I posted the question here as what passengers are told is sometimes different than personal experience.

• 6 months later...

I called VIking and was told that the address for disembarkation was Via Moranzani 79, which i is in Fusina.  I tried to clarify if you were taken to the Venice cruise terminal from there, and they said no, you can be picked up in Fusina. Did anyone cruise Viking recently and disembark in Venice that can tell me how to book a transfer into Venice from the cruise, and if they transfer you to the cruise terminal fist?  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, KellyGR said:

I called VIking and was told that the address for disembarkation was Via Moranzani 79, which i is in Fusina.  I tried to clarify if you were taken to the Venice cruise terminal from there, and they said no, you can be picked up in Fusina. Did anyone cruise Viking recently and disembark in Venice that can tell me how to book a transfer into Venice from the cruise, and if they transfer you to the cruise terminal fist?  Thanks.

That's not what I was led to believe. 

We were there in mid-March, on the Viking Sky; we took a bus from the Fusina dock to the passenger terminal in Venice; at the end of our excursion, we returned to the passenger terminal, where we boarded the bus and returned to Fusina.

My understanding is that other transport is not allowed inside the Fusina port, and that the only way for passengers to get into Venice is by Viking's buses.This may have changed since then, but I seem to recall a previous thread where this same question came up.

We were hoping to take a water taxi from there, but that wasn't allowed at the time.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:28 PM, PRH said:

Viking returned my call today.  Fusina is not open to cruise passengers.  All embarking passengers must go to the cruise terminal in Venice to check-in (document checks, sea pass, luggage, etc) and then will be bussed to Fusina (about 30 minutes).  Didn’t sound like passengers would be allowed to leave Fusina by themselves to catch a taxi but if you’re thinking about this, check directly with Viking as the representative who called made it sound as though only Viking busses would be able to access the ship.

That's exactly what we experienced, and what someone else related a month or so ago when this question came up. 

When they say it's a 30-minute trip, that's on the optimistic side, and doesn't take into account the time it takes to get in and out of the passenger terminal. A clunky arrangement at the very least.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KellyGR said:

I was on the Viking Sea in July. We boarded in Venice at the Cruise Terminal and then by bus to the Ship docked at Fusina. Fusina is a commercial port and individuals are not allowed into the area. No taxi pickups either. 
I had a question as to where to go as the Viking instructions were incorrect. I emailed the ship ( boarding email has the ship phone and email address) and they responded in a few hours. Viking is also switching ports at the last minute between Fusina and Chioggio. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2022 at 3:07 PM, longterm said:

If you're flying into Venice and not doing some touring on your own, Viking will gather you up at the airport, so you'll be squired to the ship without any effort on your part...

If you're traveling independently, just go to Venice Cruise Terminal (Stazione Marittima), and they'll get you to Fusina (I assume).

We're on the cruise from Rome to Athens, so we'll be in Venice on the 11th.

I'd like to get feedback on the Italian Sojourn trip. Is it still porting in Fusina? Trying to decide if its the right cruise for me. 

6 minutes ago, JB61 said:

I'd like to get feedback on the Italian Sojourn trip. Is it still porting in Fusina? Trying to decide if its the right cruise for me. 

There's a recent (relatively speaking) thread on the sailing as well as the situation in Venice in general.  It'd probably help you more than this thread from 2022.

We’ve just returned from Viking Venus which docked in Ravenna, some 90 miles from Venice.  There were ‘Venice on your own’ excursions which took 3 hours to get there and of course 3 hours to get back.  So about 3.5  hours actually there.  A very long day.  We opted for the included Ravenna Mosaics excursion instead.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kcpvwill said:

We’ve just returned from Viking Venus which docked in Ravenna, some 90 miles from Venice.  There were ‘Venice on your own’ excursions which took 3 hours to get there and of course 3 hours to get back.  So about 3.5  hours actually there.  A very long day.  We opted for the included Ravenna Mosaics excursion instead.  

I assume the non-included Viking excursions for Venice were canceled?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Reaniel said:

I assume the non-included Viking excursions for Venice were canceled?

I think all the non-included excursions still went ahead but they were very long days!  People were returning to the ship, some after a 12.5 hour excursion about 9pm.  

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

I think all the non-included excursions still went ahead but they were very long days!  People were returning to the ship, some after a 12.5 hour excursion about 9pm.  

Wow, that sounds insane...  I wonder if this will become a permanent change, and that they will now have a price hike on excursions to Venice in the future sailings because of the extra distance they have to cover, if/when the ship stops in Ravenna.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

Wow, that sounds insane...  I wonder if this will become a permanent change, and that they will now have a price hike on excursions to Venice in the future sailings because of the extra distance they have to cover, if/when the ship stops in Ravenna.

@Reaniel I think most posters here who have been to Venice will say that it is much better to visit Venice independently rather than by cruise ship.  It really doesn't matter if the ship docks in Chioggia, Fusina or Ravenna, the transportation to and from the ship eats up a lot of time.  It's so much better to go to Venice and stay in Venice for however many days it takes for you to see all you want to see.

We spent a lot of time in Venice several years ago.  We visited again this year with Viking and docked in Chioggia.  We had no desire to see Venice again, but wanted to visit Murano and Burano.  We did that excursion with Viking because the transportation was from the ship via boat.  It was a really great excursion and we're glad we did that. 

On the way back to the ship, a couple wanted to get off at St. Mark's.  Trying to park the little boat we were on was crazy -- horns beeping everywhere, boats cutting off other boats to take their parking space, crowds of people lined up as far as you could see waiting to take a boat to somewhere. 

Really, these days, it's best to do Venice on your own.  Plus, we enjoyed just walking around Chioggia.  It was quite pleasant.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, millybess said:

@Reaniel I think most posters here who have been to Venice will say that it is much better to visit Venice independently rather than by cruise ship.  It really doesn't matter if the ship docks in Chioggia, Fusina or Ravenna, the transportation to and from the ship eats up a lot of time.  It's so much better to go to Venice and stay in Venice for however many days it takes for you to see all you want to see.

We spent a lot of time in Venice several years ago.  We visited again this year with Viking and docked in Chioggia.  We had no desire to see Venice again, but wanted to visit Murano and Burano.  We did that excursion with Viking because the transportation was from the ship via boat.  It was a really great excursion and we're glad we did that. 

On the way back to the ship, a couple wanted to get off at St. Mark's.  Trying to park the little boat we were on was crazy -- horns beeping everywhere, boats cutting off other boats to take their parking space, crowds of people lined up as far as you could see waiting to take a boat to somewhere. 

Really, these days, it's best to do Venice on your own.  Plus, we enjoyed just walking around Chioggia.  It was quite pleasant.  

Thanks to all with wonderful information on the alternate to Venice ports. We're booked on Viking from Venice (?) To Rome in October 2024. We'll fly RT to Rome and do several days there, take train to Florence do a couple days there, train again and end in Venice for a few days. We'll just tour near which ever port city we end up leaving from (Ravenna, Chioggia, Funisia). We use the Rick Steve's guide book for our independent travel information. 

1 minute ago, JB61 said:

Thanks to all with wonderful information on the alternate to Venice ports. We're booked on Viking from Venice (?) To Rome in October 2024. We'll fly RT to Rome and do several days there, take train to Florence do a couple days there, train again and end in Venice for a few days. We'll just tour near which ever port city we end up leaving from (Ravenna, Chioggia, Funisia). We use the Rick Steve's guide book for our independent travel information. 

That sounds like a very nice trip!!  And Trenitalia is the best in Europe IMO.  You might consider a train pass depending on how long you will be there.  Also, please take a look at spending a day or two touring the seaside villages of Cinque Terre.  It doesn't take long to hike, or you can take a ferry between the villages.  That was the highlight of our Italy trip.  We stayed in Monterosso.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1