Refund from Crystal

ak1004

Was anyone able to get a refund for cancelled Crystal cruises?

Looks like it's much easier in the US. I called CIBC visa and was told I need to file an insurance claim because their limit for refunds is 120 days..

41 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I agree, it's not likely to get refund directly from Crystal.

But people in US file disputes to their credit cards and get refunds. Seems like it works very differently in Canada.

It doesn't work that differently here in Canada.  In November 2020 I filed a transaction dispute with TD Visa for 3 payments totaling about 13K made on 2 cruises that Crystal cancelled.  The oldest payment was made 468 days prior to the date I filed the dispute.  The day after the dispute was filed I had 3 purchase adjustments for the total amount posted to my Visa account.  I was advised Crystal could appeal but based on the facts I supplied the Visa rep believed they had no grounds to.  A couple weeks after my dispute I requested TD send me a cheque for the amount they credited my account which they did.  The Visa regulations concerning transaction disputes should be pretty consistent with the different Canadian banks offering Visa credit cards.  With TD Visa a dispute has to be initiated within 540 days of the transaction being made and not more then 60 days after the service was supposed to be supplied.  If your circumstances fit into those date parameters I'd get back  in touch with CIBC Visa.  Regards, Paul

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Have you checked to see what TICO says about this?   

I'd wondered about TICO too. The only question I had was whether you could make a claim if your payment is made directly to the cruise line, which is the normal case, instead of to the TA:

Subject to the Regulation, the Fund provides reimbursement of monies paid to an Ontario registered travel agent for travel services that are not provided due to the bankruptcy or insolvency of an Ontario registrant or an end supplier airline or cruise line, where a reimbursement has not otherwise been provided. 

Nevertheless, it's an avenue well worth exploring.

35 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Have you checked to see what TICO says about this?   

On February 11, 2022 a petition commencing Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors in relation to the insolvency of Crystal Cruises was filed with the Circuit Court of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit in Miami-Dade County, Florida.  T.I.C.O. is aware of this and in the most recent correspondence I've had with them they stated in part "We are waiting on information from the Trustee on the claims process with them and any applications that may be required to be completed.  Filing a claim with the Trustee is required as part of TICO’s claims process so we want to be able to provide all of the information before we release the claims."  Once T.I.C.O. authorizes claims for the failure of Crystal those wishing to make a claim must request a claim form from them and file it within 6 months of the date of failure/closure of Crystal.  As Fouremco noted T.I.C.O.'s Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund is only available if you've booked through an Ontario registered travel agent.  The maximum amount of compensation they will supply is $5,000 per person per individual booking.  Regards,  Paul

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paf225 said:

On February 11, 2022 a petition commencing Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors in relation to the insolvency of Crystal Cruises was filed with the Circuit Court of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit in Miami-Dade County, Florida.  T.I.C.O. is aware of this and in the most recent correspondence I've had with them they stated in part "We are waiting on information from the Trustee on the claims process with them and any applications that may be required to be completed.  Filing a claim with the Trustee is required as part of TICO’s claims process so we want to be able to provide all of the information before we release the claims."  Once T.I.C.O. authorizes claims for the failure of Crystal those wishing to make a claim must request a claim form from them and file it within 6 months of the date of failure/closure of Crystal.  As Fouremco noted T.I.C.O.'s Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund is only available if you've booked through an Ontario registered travel agent.  The maximum amount of compensation they will supply is $5,000 per person per individual booking.  Regards,  Paul

So how we know when they will authorizes claims? Will there be some kind of notice on their website?

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

So how we know when they will authorizes claims? Will there be some kind of notice on their website?

This is the first time I've dealt with T.I.C.O. so I'm still learning about their processes and procedures.  Their website has a "News" tab that opens a drop down menu which, among other topics, includes Advisories and Press Releases.  I would think they may post something under one of those categories.  The claims coordinator I've been dealing with advised she would send me an e-mail to let me know when I could file a claim.  I'll post something here if and when I receive a notification from her.  In the meantime you may want to review T.I.C.O.'s "How to file a claim" page and start assembling the necessary documents.  Here is a link to the page;  How to File a Claim (tico.ca) 

Regards, Paul

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

Interesting info about TICO.    Thanks.    Reminded me of yet another reason why we always book thru our local TA.   I had forgot about that rule.   

@ak1004 :   I assume your TA would advise you when TICO is paying out.   

I'm not so sure. My TA is not very professional unfortunately.. we are switching to another TA.

• Like 1

Got a response from TICO:

"We are monitoring Crystal Cruises and waiting on information before we can begin to release claim forms.  I’ll keep your information and will let you know when something is final."