AQ is stepping back from their get your own Covid test policy.

TinCan782

I guess AQ is stepping back from getting your own Covid test!

In addition, the cruise line will provide free COVID-19 testing at the pre-cruise hotel prior to embarkation beginning March 19, 2022, according to a press release. 

“The resounding feedback from guests and our travel advisor partners over the past two weeks is that people want to cruise now, without complications and uncertainty and our experience checks those boxes,” said Shawn Bierdz, chief operating officer, American Queen Voyages. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26916-american-queen-voyages-sets-record-breaking-day.html

• Like 1

It is great news!  I received the email today and since we leave on 3/26/22 we will not have to get the $150 PCR Rapid test. Yay!  

American Queen Voyages SafeCruise Update Notification

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Agent Partners, 

We look forward to welcoming you on board for our 10th Anniversary season! At American Queen Voyages, our guests’ well-being and providing the best possible experience from start to finish is our number one priority. It is now time for your AMERICA-tion with American Queen Voyages, across North America’s rivers, lakes & oceans and expedition experiences, less complicated and without uncertainty.

In an effort to streamline your American Queen Voyages’ experience, we will now provide a free COVID-19 test (Antigen) prior to embarkation at the pre-cruise hotel beginning March 19, 2022. You may also provide proof of a negative test by a valid third-party with results from within two days of embarkation. 

Those that do not receive a negative COVID-19 test at the pre-cruise hotel or provide proof of a negative test within the timeframe above, will not be able to board. For more information visit link.

We will continue to follow guidance provided by the CDC, regional and local municipalities and truly appreciate your cooperation. 

Sincerely,

American Queen Voyages

• Like 1

Good news for you. Unfortunately, we are sailing on March 14th and have not heard that there is any change. In fact, we are still trying to get an official statement of whether we need to take the PCR test (no Antigen offered) within 72 hours or 3 days. Hopefully, we will at least have 3 days for PCR and they will allow a monitored Antigen test. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:56 PM, Cruizer Diana said:

Good news for you. Unfortunately, we are sailing on March 14th and have not heard that there is any change. In fact, we are still trying to get an official statement of whether we need to take the PCR test (no Antigen offered) within 72 hours or 3 days. Hopefully, we will at least have 3 days for PCR and they will allow a monitored Antigen test. 

Sailing same day. A bit frustrating we’ve missed this by a few days 

We are traveling on American Empress in April, and are arriving several days prior to embarkation. So were searching for sites to be tested in the city of our arrival.  Looks like we will not now have to go in search of a testing site prior to being tested again before boarding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tipsygirl said:

We are traveling on American Empress in April, and are arriving several days prior to embarkation. So were searching for sites to be tested in the city of our arrival.  Looks like we will not now have to go in search of a testing site prior to being tested again before boarding.

Depending on why you need to test prior to testing at embarkation, you may be able to order the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag Card HOME test (monitored) from emed. You must order these online---pharmacies and drug stores only sell the SELF test (not monitored). If so, you can test yourself in your hotel room or any place that has a wifi signal. The US entry and most cruise lines accept this antigen test and you can take the test whenever you want.

22 hours ago, Cruizer Diana said:

Depending on why you need to test prior to testing at embarkation, you may be able to order the BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag Card HOME test (monitored) from emed. You must order these online---pharmacies and drug stores only sell the SELF test (not monitored). If so, you can test yourself in your hotel room or any place that has a wifi signal. The US entry and most cruise lines accept this antigen test and you can take the test whenever you want.

With this change in procedures we won't have to spend time finding a PCR test in Spokane that would fit their previous time parameters. We will be tested with a PCR test before we leave home for our own comfort. Fortunately we can get a PCR test  for free with 1-2 days turnaround in our township

On 3/1/2022 at 10:44 PM, ericosmith said:

In other words, they messed up big time by changing the rules midstream trying to save a few bucks.  

Exactly, and it cost me $414.00 plus the Uber ride to Gretna last month for the two of us to comply. I'm not happy about it either! When we did arrive for pre cruise check in at the hotel PCR tests were being offered at $400. for the two tests when I was told by the boat's reservation office three days before none would be offered. They screwed up and it cost them a boatload of good will.

• Like 1

Calliope

Loss of goodwill indeed. I’m also shocked at the prices, tests in our area are closer to $100.

After that terrible start, I’m curious how the rest of the cruise went. Please provide some commentary, I’m eager to hear.

Thank you

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:25 PM, AQJazz said:

Calliope

Loss of goodwill indeed. I’m also shocked at the prices, tests in our area are closer to $100.

After that terrible start, I’m curious how the rest of the cruise went. Please provide some commentary, I’m eager to hear.

Thank you

The price per test at the Gretna medical Center was $200.00 per test and then since I paid with a credit card there was the extra $7.00 charge per test. And, of course, there was the costs for Uber to and from the clinic and vacation time spent in Mardi Gras parade traffic which need to be taken into account.

With that being said the trip on the AQ was wonderful. The food and our  waitress Charne were fantastic. Also the evening shows and Mardi Gras party were great fun. Some people were disappointed that we did not land at St. Francisville. Instead  we landed at Pointe Coupee on the west bank and  the hop-on hop off tour of New Roads, La. was offered. I have never been to New Roads, so I enjoyed visiting a new town.  Unfortunately, landing on the other side of the river necessitated canceling the shore tour to Angola Prison which was a disappointment to those whom had prebooked the prison excursion.  Due to a rapidly rising Mississippi River the stop at Greenville, Miss. was scrubbed. There was some grumbling amongst some passengers, but that certainly didn't match what there would have been if we had to end the trip way below Memphis in Tunica. Personally, I really enjoyed the two days of steamboatin' in  row. and wished that more of those days were offered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a customer service rep from AQV Monday, Mar. 14.  At that time, she said they would be offering Rapid Antigen tests when you arrive at the hotel. No mention was made of the cost.  This is all subject to change depending on what the virus is doing at the time you sail.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Countess, Memphis to NO, less than two weeks ago, and received a free Covid test at the Peabody the day before we sailed. The process was a bit disorganized, I thought, but free and actually pretty easy. Got the result in less than 30 minutes.