What is capacity?

crispy46

I participated in yesterdays Sailsafe virtual event with FDR and Dr Scott Gottleib.  There was no mention of capacity, whether that be lifting limits, or timing.  I would expect FDR would want to get to 100% asap but he was silent on the topic.

The event allowed participants to submit questions in advance to be answered during the session….but none appeared to be presented or answered.  I had submitted a question re quarantine timelines (5 vs 10 days), but it was not included.

I did find Dr Gottleib very informative and credible. He focused his commentary more generally to the Covid outlook but was not specific to cruising in his analyses. I wish he had done this or that FDR asked him specifically. He referenced “the summer” more so than “springtime” in terms of travel etc.  He did say that he expected it would be a year before the CDC would loosen its control over the cruises industry as he expected they would want to see some data from summer and fall cruising before dropping restrictions.  Interesting enough, he also said that wearing a mask in “ large congregate settings” provides protection against infection for the mask wearer.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crispy46 said:

Is Regent still limiting capacity to a number below "true" capacity? For some time it has appeared that the limit was approximately 65-70%. Is this correct and have they changed it?

I had heard that they were capping capacity at a certain percentage and then ramping it up every month or so, but when we sailed in January we were just over 53% which was nice from a passenger perspective...but not from a revenue perspective.  Personally I'd rather sail with a more full ship to make sure that Regent doesn't fall victim to this damn virus as well.

• Like 6

Shippy: sounds like we are on the same cruise since we depart on Splendor on the 7th.  So, lower pax count is good for us, but not for Regent's long-term viability.  I agree with UUNetBill that we'd rather see it full than in jeopardy.

• Like 1