2 days between cruises, maybe stay at Civitavecchia, maybe not??

NoWhiners

7 hours ago, GarCat88 said:

Prior to our TA to Ft Lauderdale in October we will be site seeing in Rome for 6 days. We will then stay 2 days in Santa Marinella at Villa delle Palme. It looks beautiful, and I’m so excited!  

We stayed in Santa Marinella in early November a few years ago, before a TA.  The weather was nice/sunny, water was cold (we didn't plan to partake), and we did lots of walking.  It was after their "tourist season" had ended and many restaurants were closed or had limited hours, but we managed fine.  You might want to call first to check hours for a restaurant.  We enjoyed our stay there, as it was quite laid back then.  This October, we are staying in Siena before our TA to Tampa.

Edited by cluso

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2022 at 5:52 AM, kptbylorraine said:

We have stayed in Civitavecchia several times pre-cruise. We find it very relaxing compared to Rome. When we stayed for 2 days we rented a car and drove into the countryside. We enjoy walking along the waterfront where there are lots of restaurants. 
Hotels are mostly 3 stars but clean and comfortable. They will also arrange for a transfer to the pier. 

Lorraine

Can you tell me where you stayed and whether it was satisfactory?  We took the advice of the info desk person in FCO and couldn't believe the dump it was!  More like a youth hostel from years ago than a hotel.

Thanks!

Donna

On 3/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, bennybear said:

You’re welcome, They do say a pictures worth a thousand words, lol!  We stayed outside the town in an agriturismo but we had a car,  so can’t suggest a place.  Take a look at some reviews on hotel sites to get started. 

Good Lord Bennybear, was the agritourismo Locanda?

I loved that place, stayed there with my mom five years ago! You definitely need a car if you stay here though.

Im Canadian too, and I think we are both on an upcoming cruise on the celebrity beyond!

(Maybe we are leading parallel lives!)

I drove through Tuscany for a week, with my mom as navigator. The handheld gps did not work, so my mom used maps we bought. It’s an adventure I remember with a lot of love, but it was stressful to me, even though the car was automatic, and not stick.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:25 PM, euro cruiser said:

Yes.  Have you checked prices on rentals in the States lately?  They're double what they were pre-pandemic.  Even as the companies replenish their fleets and have more supply on hand I doubt the rates will come down until demand forces it, in the meantime they're all trying to make up for the losses they suffered during the pandemic.

This is very true, I was looking at car rentals in Hawaii and was in total sticker shock. I did some research though, and there is a new service? Ap? Business? Called Touro, where people rent out their vehicles. It’s kind of like Airbnb, but for car rentals. 

I have not used it yet, and I have questions, but right now it’s cheaper then rental companies by a lot (in the US) Not sure if it’s available in Europe. 

Again, not a recommendation, just putting the info out there, because I had never heard of it before. (And while I may be tempted to do this in the US, not sure if I would do it in Europe?)

38 minutes ago, Cookie002 said:

Good Lord Bennybear, was the agritourismo Locanda?

I loved that place, stayed there with my mom five years ago! You definitely need a car if you stay here though.

Im Canadian too, and I think we are both on an upcoming cruise on the celebrity beyond!

(Maybe we are leading parallel lives!)

I drove through Tuscany for a week, with my mom as navigator. The handheld gps did not work, so my mom used maps we bought. It’s an adventure I remember with a lot of love, but it was stressful to me, even though the car was automatic, and not stick.

Too funny, it was a different spot.  We’re hoping for celebrity Japan!   We love driving in Tuscany and still prefer maps, but use both.What part of the country are you in?

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, GarCat88 said:

Prior to our TA to Ft Lauderdale in October we will be site seeing in Rome for 6 days. We will then stay 2 days in Santa Marinella at Villa delle Palme. It looks beautiful, and I’m so excited!  

We stayed there!  In fact, we’re contemplating booking again, but currently have other plans.  The staff are lovely, responsive, and made the arrangements for our transportation from FCO to the hotel, as well as from the hotel to the port.  It was within easy walking distance (for us) to shops and restaurants; just a stone’s throw from the beach.  There is a beautiful upper garden that no one seems to find.  Just look for the stairs when you are outside and walk up.  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1