MSC Upgrade Bid Program

moonchild925

Just wondering if anyone has any idea when upgrade bid offers typically get sent out for MSC? We sail on 4/9/22 (our 1st time on the line) so a little over 30 days out now......We have used the bid program successfully on Royal and NCL previously. Anyone notice any differences with MSC's version?

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by moonchild925
  • Like 1

I'm sailing 4/23 and got an offer right after I booked. It really depends on how empty/full the cruise is and what experience you booked.

One thing...you'll need to make sure you have the switch set to receive promos, etc. in your profile. Otherwise I don't think you'll get an offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moonchild925 said:

Just wondering if anyone has any idea when upgrade bid offers typically get sent out for MSC? We sail on 4/9/22 (our 1st time on the line) so a little over 30 days out now......We have used the bid program successfully on Royal and NCL previously. Anyone notice any differences with MSC's version?

Thanks in Advance!

I'm sailing on 3/27 and just got a bid email a couple of days ago. 

• Like 1

Is it a common practice to offer upgrades if no cabins in the higher category are available?

We were offered an upgrade to a YC OS on our Seashore sailing in April. Not that we were willing to pay an additional 6K per person for a 7 day cruise (good lord, that is the minimum bid), but curious enough to check the websites of both the MSC and TA company I use - neither show an OS available to book. 

There is another upgrade thread where I asked the same question without a response: why offer an upgrade to a room that isn't available other than filling a room that may be potentially cancelled, or data gathering to see how much money people are willing to pay for an upgraded room are the only things I can think of as answers. 

Thoughts?

Amy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If a person booked a yacht club OS and had the type of insurance where you can cancel for any reason it would make sense for MSC to have a big database full of people bidding on that same cabin! And you are right it’s a pretty darn good way to gather data.  Example I bid $5 above  minimum on a yacht club deluxe balcony and won!  On my upcoming cruise  my opening bid is $80 more for the same ship/itinerary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ddlb said:

If a person booked a yacht club OS and had the type of insurance where you can cancel for any reason it would make sense for MSC to have a big database full of people bidding on that same cabin! And you are right it’s a pretty darn good way to gather data.  Example I bid $5 above  minimum on a yacht club deluxe balcony and won!  On my upcoming cruise  my opening bid is $80 more for the same ship/itinerary. 

I'll cross my fingers for the upgrade on your current cruise. 5$ over minimum is amazing! heck of a deal. 

Never thought about the insurance aspect - that's an interesting point. 

Quick update - 

It's not something I would entertain bidding on but apparently there is an RS now available on my sailing for a minimum upgrade bid of (wait for it)SIX THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED $US PER PERSON!!!!! 

Good Lord. 

The price online for booking the room outright is approximately 16K. 

Now, I love myself a great room, but 16K or 12K over what I already paid for a room with only one bathroom - that's a hard pass from me for a 7 day cruise. 

Warm wishes to anyone who jumps at the availability...maybe you can let me have a peek in!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 3

Sailed on Mera today (3/6) and received my email offering upgrades on 3/3.  If I didn’t have an aft balcony I might have jumped to a YC interior for the experience since it was only a $320 minimum bid.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Outofofficeon said:

Made a minimum bid for 19 March on a YC interior just for the experience. Over a week ago but you can hear up to two days before sailing.  Just never know, they might just accept it 

I’ll cross my fingers for you!

MSC uses same company as NCL.  NCL board has a 100+ page thread over last six years with info.

MSC just started bids last year roughly.  Only a scatter of threads with info.

From what I've seen and our experience, not really a good deal.  Kind of like going to Kohl's where things are always 60% off.

Our first offer was a $100 savings then they increased offers to be way more than buying outright.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:55 AM, dexddd said:

MSC uses same company as NCL.  NCL board has a 100+ page thread over last six years with info.

MSC just started bids last year roughly.  Only a scatter of threads with info.

From what I've seen and our experience, not really a good deal.  Kind of like going to Kohl's where things are always 60% off.

Our first offer was a $100 savings then they increased offers to be way more than buying outright.

I like the Kohl's comparison - makes sense. 

Have to say I like the old system when you got a call or an email directly re: an upgrade. Specific price, specific room, specific person to whom the offer is given. No haggling, waiting, guessing games. It's how we got our first suite on Celebrity and was for much, much less than purchasing outright. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, dexddd said:

From what I've seen and our experience, not really a good deal. 

I have had the total opposite getting into YC.

I bid max both times and got it.

With NCL, I have bid max multiple times and never got it.

Now I also started with unbelievable rates so bidding max is/was so much cheaper that just booking it.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 8:01 PM, amygutman said:

Is it a common practice to offer upgrades if no cabins in the higher category are available?

We were offered an upgrade to a YC OS on our Seashore sailing in April. Not that we were willing to pay an additional 6K per person for a 7 day cruise (good lord, that is the minimum bid), but curious enough to check the websites of both the MSC and TA company I use - neither show an OS available to book. 

There is another upgrade thread where I asked the same question without a response: why offer an upgrade to a room that isn't available other than filling a room that may be potentially cancelled, or data gathering to see how much money people are willing to pay for an upgraded room are the only things I can think of as answers. 

Thoughts?

Amy

Yes!  Keep in mind that they are sending upgrade offers for even the higher categories that open their rooms up to look at your bid....   

On 3/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, alyssamma said:

I'm sailing 4/23 and got an offer right after I booked. It really depends on how empty/full the cruise is and what experience you booked.

One thing...you'll need to make sure you have the switch set to receive promos, etc. in your profile. Otherwise I don't think you'll get an offer.

I'm on the Seashore on 4/23 and just put in a min bid for the two YC rooms (an inside and balcony).  Hoping!  I am just really curious as to how long they wait to accept/deny.  I know they can up to 48 hrs before the crusie, but is that standard practice??  Anyone?

Edited by 48169

7 minutes ago, 48169 said:

I'm on the Seashore on 4/23 and just put in a min bid for the two YC rooms (an inside and balcony).  Hoping!  I am just really curious as to how long they wait to accept/deny.  I know they can up to 48 hrs before the crusie, but is that standard practice??  Anyone?

Seashore last December b2b

10 days prior on 1st cruise.

4 days on second.

I did bid max as I was in on the cheap.

8 hours ago, 48169 said:

I was closely watching daily room availability in YC on two trips last Fall.  Both saw bids released four days prior.  YMMV.

• Like 1

WOW!  Ok, so this is my experience with the upgrade!

On Monday, 3/14/2022, we booked the Seashore 7 day Deluxe Balcony (standard balcony room) for $1322 including taxes for both of us (used Health Care Heros discount). 

On Tuesday, MSC gave us various upgrade offers to bid on.  The two Yacht club ones were an interior suite (bids between $500pp to $1000) or the Deluxe Balcony (bids $999pp to something high).  I bid $500 for the interior which gave an "Excellent" chance and $1,175 for the balcony YC which was about $5 into the "Good" from poor.   

I did notice when I tried to book an inside, they were full but there were several balcony ones available. 

I figured they offer the inside ones because they also are offering those folks upgrades to balcony which would open them up.  

Today (3/16/2022), I got charged the $2,350 extra which puts my Balcony YC at a total price of $3,672. 

If I try to book the room I just got on the website right now... it's over $6,000 w/ taxes.  Pretty good savings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 48169 said:

On Monday, 3/14/2022, we booked the Seashore 7 day Deluxe Balcony (standard balcony room) for $1322 including taxes for both of us (used Health Care Heros discount). 

On Tuesday, MSC gave us various upgrade offers to bid on.  The two Yacht club ones were an interior suite (bids between $500pp to $1000) or the Deluxe Balcony (bids $999pp to something high).  I bid $500 for the interior which gave an "Excellent" chance and $1,175 for the balcony YC which was about $5 into the "Good" from poor.   

I did notice when I tried to book an inside, they were full but there were several balcony ones available. 

I figured they offer the inside ones because they also are offering those folks upgrades to balcony which would open them up.  

Today (3/16/2022), I got charged the $2,350 extra which puts my Balcony YC at a total price of $3,672. 

If I try to book the room I just got on the website right now... it's over $6,000 w/ taxes.  Pretty good savings. 

We booked on 3/4/2022 (Balcony Fantastica for 4, deck 10) leaving 4/2, got upgrade offer next day and I bid min for YC Deluxe Balcony $1k x 2. I upped it to just in the good chance yesterday $1,165 x 2. Got email this morning we were successful. Works out to nearly 50% off compared to if we had booked YC in first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 48169 said:

That's awesome! I am so happy for you...what an amazing savings!

Have a great trip!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GaSte said:

We booked on 3/4/2022 (Balcony Fantastica for 4, deck 10) leaving 4/2, got upgrade offer next day and I bid min for YC Deluxe Balcony $1k x 2. I upped it to just in the good chance yesterday $1,165 x 2. Got email this morning we were successful. Works out to nearly 50% off compared to if we had booked YC in first place. 

That's a wonderful savings - and I can't wait to hear about your experiences in the YC ... leave some fo the fun for us as (upgrade or not), we get to enjoy the YC on 4/9 when you are disembarking!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

I am currently in a standard balcony with the Aurea package purchased. Got an offer to bud on a regular suite, no mention of Aurea. Does anyone know if you get to keep the Aurea benefits if the bud is successful? $220/pp is tempting

4 hours ago, dsnutz said:

I am currently in a standard balcony with the Aurea package purchased. Got an offer to bud on a regular suite, no mention of Aurea. Does anyone know if you get to keep the Aurea benefits if the bud is successful? $220/pp is tempting

I believe you keep the "experience" you originally booked, *unless* you win a bid to YC...in that case your experience changes to YC.

On 3/21/2022 at 4:43 PM, alyssamma said:

I believe you keep the "experience" you originally booked, *unless* you win a bid to YC...in that case your experience changes to YC.

I’ve looked at mock bookings and see that there are different suites, this looks sort of generic. Also saw something that looked like a “sealed” balcony, that would suck. Any thoughts on what this may be? Don’t want to call and deal with the shoreside folks, have read horror stories of bookings getting altered etc. with little recourse. BF9A30F0-3813-4CED-AA14-0181F164B743.jpeg.b0663d30bec528e68bfe22ddcc20d05a.jpeg