Rotterdam obstructed cabins deck 4

Nang

Looking to book one of the few cabins left on a Northern Isles Viking Sagas cruise this July on the Rotterdam. Currently looking at cabin 4062 which is an obstructed view cabin on deck 4 with a lifeboat providing the obstruction. Are the lifeboats above, directly outside the cabin or below the balcony (ie is the view under, directly at or over a lifeboat)? Tried a google search but found nothing useful.

We have more choice for a sailing later in August but prefer to go at the "warmer" time however we would be happy to hear from experience Iceland cruisers that our concern about the weather is misplaced . TIA

Edited by Nang

We were in 4135...obstructed on the Rotterdam...def a lifeboat right there!  It was okay...in reality my first obstructed cabin...I didn't use the balcony that much as we had a retreat cabana and spent time up there during the day...will try to post a few pics

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbhcw said:

We were in 4135...obstructed on the Rotterdam...def a lifeboat right there!  It was okay...in reality my first obstructed cabin...I didn't use the balcony that much as we had a retreat cabana and spent time up there during the day...will try to post a few pics

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

The big difference in lifeboat location on HAL Pinnacle class ships versus Vista and Signature class ships is the lifeboats have been moved lower and more outboard on Pinnacle class to afford balconies and better views on deck 4 cabins facing the lifeboats.  As you can see in these photos, you have a partially obstructed view, and a balcony.  The Vista and Signature class deck 4 cabins facing the lifeboats have a fully or near fully obstructed view and no balcony, just windows.

The tradeoff is the deck 3 promenade on Pinnacle class ships now has an obstructed view and much narrower outside walking/viewing area adjacent to the lifeboats.  The lifeboats are suspended above the promenade on the previous class ships.  I believe it has been stated elsewhere that this more outboard lifeboat configuration also causes problems with Panama Canal passage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

The big difference in lifeboat location on HAL Pinnacle class ships versus Vista and Signature class ships is the lifeboats have been moved lower and more outboard on Pinnacle class to afford balconies and better views on deck 4 cabins facing the lifeboats.  As you can see in these photos, you have a partially obstructed view, and a balcony.  The Vista and Signature class deck 4 cabins facing the lifeboats have a fully or near fully obstructed view and no balcony, just windows.

The tradeoff is the deck 3 promenade on Pinnacle class ships now has an obstructed view and much narrower outside walking/viewing area adjacent to the lifeboats.  The lifeboats are suspended above the promenade on the previous class ships.  I believe it has been stated elsewhere that this more outboard lifeboat configuration also causes problems with Panama Canal passage.

I can believe that!  When we were on the Zuiderdam going through the canal there was less tahn 2 feet of clearance on either side of the ship (to the canal wall).

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I can believe that!  When we were on the Zuiderdam going through the canal there was less tahn 2 feet of clearance on either side of the ship (to the canal wall).

The Signature, Vista, and Rotterdam class ships were built to the maximum width allowed in the old locks, 106'.  With those locks being 110' wide, that certainly accounts for the tight fit you mentioned!  The Pinnacle class ships are 114' wide, too wide to fit the old locks.

The new locks are 168' wide so width isn't a limit so much as the issue of the lifeboats being the most protruding section of the ship, or at least that's how it was explained in some previous forum discussions.  Ships are maneuvered by tugboats in the new locks versus by cable and train "mules" in the old locks.  If one of the Pinnacle class ships were to bump against a lock wall, it wouldn't just scrape paint, it could severely damage its lifeboats.

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, AFNavigator said:

Was this cabin noisy

On 3/6/2022 at 8:10 AM, jbhcw said:

IMG_2028.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg

Thanks for posting a picture of the out side view, we'll be in cabin 4154 on our Aug cruise.