My theory on why some people are gun-shy about cruising solo.

LandlockedCruiser01

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

These are people who are "not comfortable in their skin".  This is, I think, a skill that is learned as one grows up.  

A possible suggestion for such people when dining in a restaurant is to ask for a booth.  A booth may help provide the "security" that they feel lacking if they are sitting in a large dining room at a table by themselves.

I think it is deeper.  So many of these folks who feel uncomfortable dining alone, take offense in the question from the host , "Are you alone"? 

I had the strangest and sweetest experience on Mother's Day.  I made reservations for one at a local restaurant that has a fabulous Mother's Day buffet.  The online person asked "How many?", I said "one" and she asked "How many mothers?".  I knew it was just an automatic question since they put flowers at each table for moms and I said, "none" since I don't have kids. She kinda of stumbled some words so I said "I am so glad the buffet is back, it is one of my favorites". 

So I get there, I give my name and the hostess said "I remember you" and takes me to my reserved table for one.  She pulls out the chair facing away from the greater area for me, I sit and after she leaves, move to the other side.  I open my napkin and a $10 bill falls out.  They are fancy folded so it wasn't dropped.  When the waiter came, I gave him the money, told him it was in the napkin and someone must have meant it for someone else.  

As I am eating, numerous people stop by my table to ask me to join them or to be sure I was wished a "Happy Mother's Day".  As I was loading up on desserts, a busser came up and gave me the $10 back and said, "This is for you, Happy Mother's Day".  He was so sincere and sweet, I thanked him and gave him a hug.  

Then I added $10 to the tip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

He was so sincere and sweet, I thanked him and gave him a hug.  

Then I added $10 to the tip.  

Surely an unusual experience and I appreciate you posting it.  But, what's the connection with solo cruising and dining?  

I stand by my previous comment, some solos, in a social situation, are "more comfortable in their skins" than others.  

I am probably going to get trashed with the following comment.  But, why take a book to read when one is dining?  I don't get it.  Is the book a psychological crutch for the diner because they are alone?  I have never done so.  When I dine, I enjoy watching the activity around me and the interactions that take place among customers and with the staff.  If I want to finish the book I am reading, the last place I would do so is in a restaurant.  

When I dine, I want to focus on my dining experience:  the service, the cuisine, the ambiance.  Otherwise, why spend the money for a restaurant meal?  I can stay home and dine on a Swanson's Frozen Dinner while watching TV.  

Edited by rkacruiser

19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Surely an unusual experience and I appreciate you posting it.  But, what's the connection with solo cruising and dining?  

I stand by my previous comment, some solos, in a social situation, are "more comfortable in their skins" than others.  

I am probably going to get trashed with the following comment.  But, why take a book to read when one is dining?  I don't get it.  Is the book a psychological crutch for the diner because they are alone?  I have never done so.  When I dine, I enjoy watching the activity around me and the interactions that take place among customers and with the staff.  If I want to finish the book I am reading, the last place I would do so is in a restaurant.  

When I dine, I want to focus on my dininarg experience:  the service, the cuisine, the ambiance.  Otherwise, why spend the money for a restaurant meal?  I can stay home and dine on a Swanson's Frozen Dinner while watching TV.  

It is the weird reactions to dining solo are the same about traveling solo. 

I always have a book with me onboard.  There is plenty of time between courses to get a few chapters in.  A book also stops those who are obvious to nonverbal clues and whom I have determined uninteresting from attempting conversation. 

• Thanks 1