Changes to main dining room menu

Yinster

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

On our upcoming Epic sailing next month, we have 9 nights aboard. We got 2 included dinners with the FAS, I opted to get an additional 2 due to a 30% off deal, and then we're going to shell out for one more, for a total of 5 dinners at the various specialty restaurants. Somehow, I think we won't starve to death on the other 4 nights. Personally, I like the changes to the MDR for 2 reasons: 1. The kitchens won't have to keep switching what they make every day and 2. If I see 2 or 3 really good entree options, I won't have to think I have to choose, because whatever I don't have one night, I can try the next. Seems fine to me! EDIT: the article that prompted this thread was about the Pr1ma, so it may not apply to our ship. I was assuming they'd roll this out across the whole fleet, but maybe not.

I believe the intention is to roll this out to the whole fleet if it proves to be successful.

8 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

I believe the intention is to roll this out to the whole fleet if it proves to be successful.

I believe that that is what they have said. The only thing that might stop it is if there is a massive negative reaction to it from cruisers on the Prima.

20 hours ago, PATRLR said:

So you are equating the MDR, which is supposed to be high quality sit down fine dining, with the buffet and Local?  Really?

I agree, one can find variety in their sustenance on board without spending extra money.  But I don't go on a cruise just to survive.  I suspect I am not alone in that thinking.

Then, we should tell all of the passengers eating dinner at The Local, The Food Hall and The Buffet that they are cruising wrong?

Guess what, the MDR doesn't cook your meals to order. To put out 1500+ covers a night, all they are doing is putting mass produced buffet food on a pretty plate. If you are under some illusion that they cook 1500+ covers to order, and that you should expect fine dining, you are mistaken. 

Yes, the MDR on the Prima is the most beautiful in the fleet,,, by far. 

image.png.67520a0633a071150e174c5b0f16c89c.png

image.png.f3400608adbe8df4021c1fecc6ecf79b.png

Cagney's,,,, not so much

image.png.81f77f018787ba19e3ad16ea4aa49892.png

And Le Bistro with the chandelier on the floor reminds me of a bad recreation of the opening scene of the Phantom of the Opera. And the laminate floor and obstructed view windows makes it feel like O'Sheehan's from the Breakaway... not a fine dining restaurant. 

image.png.3d9fea922d77946918b782ddf2ee82b6.png

image.thumb.png.d95d0893052612d8d1d9c58750d5eb01.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Then, we should tell all of the passengers eating dinner at The Local, The Food Hall and The Buffet that they are cruising wrong?

I didn't say anything to imply that.  We're discussing the MDR menus in this thread.  YOU are the one who implied those other options to the fine dining in the MDR.  They are options for obtaining sustenance, they are not options for fine dining.

Guess what, the MDR doesn't cook your meals to order. 

I never said they did and I am aware that they don't.  

To put out 1500+ covers a night, all they are doing is putting mass produced buffet food on a pretty plate. If you are under some illusion that they cook 1500+ covers to order, and that you should expect fine dining, you are mistaken. 

Guess what, there are plenty of places that can and do cook 1500 fine dining meals for one sitting. There was a time when cruise ships did it (not 1500, but there is no difference in preparing 100 or 1500 meals, you just have scale your kitchen up accordingly). 

You betcha I do expect fine dining and I am NOT mistaken. NCL tells me that is what they serve.  From https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-dining:

Enjoy fine dining in up to three Main Dining Rooms, serving fresh and delicious cuisine. With a variety of choices and a daily rotating menu, there is something for everyone here.

(Hope they remember to update that paragraph if they roll this out fleetwide)