Best ship for a young adult?

lilyafloat

First time cruisers will probably be taking 21 year old son (free holiday for a student). So I'm investigating which is the better ship for him to mix with other people around his age. He is very sociable and loves nothing more than getting dressed up to go out, he likes the look of Cunard and smaller ships, however I think he would be bored after the initial WOW factor hence looking for something that might provide both. The destination will depend on the ship, either Norway or Spain/Portugal but probably 7 nights as he can't be parted from wifi for too long 😁 We, on the otherhand are quite easy going and are just looking forward to getting away.

I've narrowed it down to either Britannia, Ventura or Aurora. Just worried that the average age on Aurora will be possibly not be out and about after 11pm, but i'm willing to be corrected!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I doubt there will be many in that age group on any P&O ship.

However,  we have never done a 7 day cruise,  so may well be wrong.

It might also be worth  considering  Princess as well. Their wifi is far quicker and cheaper than P&O. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What time of the year are you considering?  That will have some bearing on the clientele and their age, ie summer holidays younger children and families so maybe more mixed age groups with big brothers and sisters.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies. Will be aiming for end of June/beginning of July or September depending on what is available (avoiding main school holidays). I like the look of Princess but was really looking for the 3rd person reduction to ease costs because of needing a bigger room/suite for 3 adults. Plus there is no pressure on him if he chooses to do something else rather than hang out with us!

Edited by lilyafloat

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Think he may be a bit bored on any P&O ship as they do not have the more exciting activities like Royal Caribbean.

I got him to look at Royal Caribbean but he is not into typical adrenaline activities and wasn't impressed. He is much more into meeting people, talking, hanging out, learning new things and exploring 🙂

7 minutes ago, lilyafloat said:

I got him to look at Royal Caribbean but he is not into typical adrenaline activities and wasn't impressed. He is much more into meeting people, talking, hanging out, learning new things and exploring 🙂

Hello, hope I can help. I'm the same age as the son and have cruised with P&O and Cunard since I was 8 so lots of experience across the fleet. Have experience of Cunard as it's excellent. Imo the value for money onboard is very good. If he doesn't mind the smart dress code if dinner suits and jackets for dinner then that's the line for him. Lots of guest talks and insight to keep busy plus activities are very varied from what I found and have never been bored on any ships. P&O has the dress codes and the talks and there is generally lots of sport opportunities onboard so pleanty to keep him busy. 

P&O wise if he likes the look of a smaller ship then Aurora I would highly recommend, favorite ship ever and happily sail on her regularly so an around good ship. Personally I don't notice the age demographic and I find most people like to see younger people onboard and getting involved. Tip from the wise make sure he isn't worried about going to an event just because he maybe younger than everyone else, the general cliental I have found to be very accommodating. Pools always have a variety of ages in and lots of do around the ship and soces to just sit and work. We were on at Christmas on Iona, lots of uni students on all having an enjoyable time and doing some uni work as well. 

If you are looking at a good 7 day trip then I recommend definitely Ventura , good ship and has a Carribean theme throughout so feels trendy and modern but classic at the same time or as you said Britannia is always a good pick. Cunard wise QM2 is great on a TA and her 7 night Norways are the best that I've done. Aurora though offers the better size for Norway though and offers an excellent experience. 

Hope that helps. Any more questions please ask. But personally judging by what you have said the son would fit in perfectly with P&O and Cunard. Don't worry what others say in her about the demographic, that's just scaremongering, I have personally found it to be very varied in age and lots to go especially around June and September. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My 3 cruised with us from the age of 10 - and were in their 20s on our last family cruise in 2019. Never went to any of the clubs and had a wonderful time. Of course they had each other as company, but were never ever bored on several cruises on Ventura, Azura, Oceana, Britannia and two long cruises on Aurora before it became adult only. They loved playing table tennis, doing jigsaws, reading, relaxing, swimming, eating, eating, and more eating, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Think he may be a bit bored on any P&O ship as they do not have the more exciting activities like Royal Caribbean.

If you think he’ll be bored on P&O I’d stay well clear of Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, devonuk said:

If you think he’ll be bored on P&O I’d stay well clear of Princess. 

Looking back to when I was 21 (and it is a bit hazy !) I would have hated P&O,  Princess, and, if I think about it, probably every other cruise line as well ! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Looking back to when I was 21 (and it is a bit hazy !) I would have hated P&O,  Princess, and, if I think about it, probably every other cruise line as well ! 

Quite a young clientele on NCL. They have some good music venues, blues, rock etc. The sequence dancing doesn't happen, but some amusing Karaoke.🤣

• Thanks 1

Britannia have the silent disco. Princess have arts and crafts. Nothing in the league of RCL but a bit more than the adult only Aurora & Arcadia.

I have a 24 year old daughter and she enjoyed Britannia but she likes Theatre and History and not so much wave riders and climbing walls. Saying that she would prefer RCL for their entertainment compared to P&O.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BouncingWheel said:

Britannia have the silent disco. Princess have arts and crafts. Nothing in the league of RCL but a bit more than the adult only Aurora & Arcadia.

I have a 24 year old daughter and she enjoyed Britannia but she likes Theatre and History and not so much wave riders and climbing walls. Saying that she would prefer RCL for their entertainment compared to P&O.

I think it’s difficult to know because every young adult/child has different tastes - like adults! Mine are also into history and have enjoyed museums since they were toddlers! During their Uni years, they said that cruises were a welcome break from the hectic social/drinking/studying scene and a chance to relax and enjoy some solitude! Some adults need constant entertainment as do some children, it depends on the individual. As I said, mine kept each other company, so it might be different if you’re on your own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, a lot to consider. For this trip it will be P and O due to the 3rd person free deal, but will look around at other lines depending on how much we enjoy it.

Any opinions would be welcome about destinations. Fjords for the scenary and getting active, or Spain/Portugal for history and warm weather. We want the scenary and son wants the weather, which I know is not guaranteed but probably more certain in Spain 🙂

You mention Ventura, Aurora and Britannia but not Azura. You may have a good reason for this (wrong itineraries?) but Ventura and Azura are close sisters, non identical twins. So if you are considering Ventura consider Azura as well.

I would definately avoid Aurora. P&Os adult ships attract a much older passenger than their family ships and he may well feel like he is in a floating retirement home (no denigation of older cruisers intended, I am 74 myself and felt like a youngster on Oriana!)

As regards the others, I have found Azura/Ventura more sociable than Britannia. They seem to be better designed for social contact, Britannia is more about sitting down at tables. But a sociable 21 year old would fare OK on any of them.

• Thanks 1